Prepare the pencils!
Guess what month it is? That's right, the last month of Summer, and for many of us, the month that school starts. This thread will serve as a general academics discussion, so if you are starting or returning to any type of schooling, this is for you.

To start off, tell us a little about your school life, level of education, majors and minor (or areas of interest if not applicable), and what you are excited (or not excited) about. Feel free to post course schedules if you want to.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

Well, I'm going to uni in late September. Hopefully, if the student loans thing actually goes through, been having problems.

I've done my A-levels in Maths, Physics, and Chemistry, then took a gap year in Canada to apply for UBC Okanagon. I failed, so it's back to Loughborough!
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Hope the loans go through Kath. I know how that feels, since I'm completely dependent on financial aid to even take out the loans for my school. Sad world we live in.

Anyway, I'm starting to prepare for my sophomore year of college. I now have 17 days until I go back, though classes won't start up until a week later. Yay.

So this is my schedule:
I'm currently in 5 courses... we'll see how that goes. I'm signed up for Intro Chem ("Principles of..."), Intro Neuro, Quantum Physics, Computer Organization, and Japanese. It'll be a lot, but definitely manageable.

As you can see, I have no free days either. I'm used to that, since most Math/science courses are M/W/F. I like this schedule because I get out at 2pm when I don't have lab. Gives me time to enjoy the rest of my day or study.. hopefully both.
~ Taav

Quantum Mechanics has been, material wise, my favorite class so far. I hope you'll like it. I didn't have a lab portion though, so the fact that you do interests me.

I think I still have 3 more weeks until my senior year starts. I'm probably gonna change my schedule around for electives, but I'll at least definitely be taking Unit Operations Lab, Simulation, Stochastic Calculus, and probably Classical Chinese, Linear Algebra/Math Physics, Nuclear/Biomedical Engineering.
Oooh! What's Stochastic Calculus? I've never heard of that.

Last Calc class I took was Multivariable calculus last fall, and I took Linear Algebra and Optimization in the spring (two separate courses. Linear's a lot of fun, but very time consuming if you have proof assignments.

I hope I like Quantum, because I wasn't very good with Waves & Fields, ashamedly. If I end up doing bad/not liking it, that's one less minor I have to worry about... but I'd rather it not come down to that.
~ Taav

I'm not 100% sure what stochastic calculus is, but I think it's the integration of stochastic processes, as opposed to deterministic processes which regular calculus is used for. It's generally used to model random behavior like Brownian Motion.

Quantum isn't really about waves. I took it without taking waves, I think it's just the standard physics sequence of mechanics -> E&M -> Waves -> QM. You basically solve the Schrodinger's equation over and over again with different potential functions and see what the results mean. I think I liked it because there was a lot of math and I usually like classes that have differential equations.

I took Linear Algebra my freshman year too, so this one that I'm planning to take I have no idea what it will cover but it has the class that I took as a pre-req (although they have the same name), but I really liked Linear Algebra when I took it so I wanted to take it again.

What did your Optimization class talk about? Was it just Linear Programming and Simplex or was there more?
Yeah, it revolved around the Simplex Algorithm mostly. We did get into some really interesting graph theory, and at the end of the semester we covered integer programming and game theory.

My favorite course so far, and also the reason why I'm not taking any math this semester (the combination of those two was a living nightmare at times).
~ Taav

I'm in for biology, tenth grade English, computer literacy, Algebra II, and World History. History will be all right because I love world history in general and the assignments are always fun, but biology will suck because it's gross, English will suck because of damn sentence structured and whatnot, computer literacy will suck because I'm certain I will learn nothing new, and Algebra II will… not suck as much, since algebra is relatively fun, but maths in general are strenuous and exasperating for me.
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
I'm studying Law in university. For free -- decent public education ahoy! (It's only decent at college level, though. Also, there have been cuts here and there and it may not remain decent for a long time. Oh, and did I mention that there's a whole lot of corruption and antiquated bullshit that causes a fat share of the funds to go towards giving the teachers and administrators pointless privileges instead of giving the students important infrastructure? We use wooden boards instead of desks.)

I really don't like the course and I definitely don't see myself working with that kind of stuff for life, but I'm sticking around so I can get a job and money and a life of my own so that I can then go do what I actually want to.
Loans are horrible. I'm glad I'm not getting them. The 9/11 G.I. Bill pays for all of it, as long as I don't mess up. XD I'll be taking a break this semester for military things, and then back for the Spring semester next year. Not much going on in this post. Move along, people. xD
Student loans aren't that bad. Not in UK, anyway. You don't have to begin paying them back until your salary is higher than a certain amount. If you haven't paid it all back before a certain point, it gets written off. Better than bank loans!

In other news, Student Finance England are terrible.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
Classes are a week away (for me, anyway)!

I'm already on campus for job training, and doing everything I can to prepare myself for classes and school life in general. My roommate doesn't arrive until next week, giving a ton of time to get organized before he moves in. I've purchased most of my books, all of which were horrendously expensive. Oh well... Not much I can do there.

My starting date is 8/28. When is everyone else starting?
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

I've been at it since the beginning of this month.

It's been harrowingly boring most of the time.
September 10th. My school's academic calendar is literally the best.
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
Sept 29th! Uniiii...

That said, I'm flying off on 22nd, moving in on 23rd-25th...and I have no idea what else.
Ahaha I'm halfway through 3rd semester. Just had my last mock exam yesterday. If any of you don't know what those are (I don't know if schools outside NZ or universities do them), then they're basically just exams very similar to the ones I sit at the end of the year, and if for whatever reason I am unable to sit the end of years, then they can use my marks from the mocks to derive a grade for me.
England tends to do them. Well, Charles Read and Bourne Academy did, at least.
Things are going fairly well... I haven't died yet, and last time I checked I was still sane, so that's good.

I've been incredibly busy, busier than ever in fact. I have two tests coming up in a week that I want to be prepared for, and another the week after that. Other than that, it's been fairly mechanical - I'm starting to get into a good work rhythm that will (hopefully) continue to produce good results.

How are you all hanging?
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

Working out what I need to pack, hoping Student Finance get their act together, making sure my godfather knows what's going on and is able to do what we asked him to, making my arrival slot with uni dorms. Busybusybusy!
Bumping because I have the exam results for my last year of high school back.

I did very well, which I am very glad about because I did very well the previous two years and I have some expectations to live up to. In short, I passed with the highest grade possible overall. I did particularly well in Calculus, as I managed to score the highest grade for each exam in that subject. Honestly I'm just relieved that it's all over and that I managed to maintain my high standard all the way through; my parents would have been really let down if I hadn't gotten that highest grade overall. Plus, now that I've got the marks, I can get a $3,000 scholarship for the university I want to go to.

Now I just have to wait until next month for my scholarship exam results.