KathiraNarae [Rambling 'Round the Rant] Contains mild swearing.
Teacher, may I ask a question? What about quantum crime?

It also just hit me how apt Caslot is for a Schrödinger's Cat analogy. It's 50% lucky and 50% unlucky, but when you tell it to use a chancy move, then it's either 100% lucky or you're 100% peeved. And in the latter case, it's possible for the cat to be imminently dead.
Quantum crime falls under the Discworld theory of existence: 'Things just happen. What the hell?!'

That's exactly why I decided to preface the entire piece with use of the random tag to make a Schrodinger's Caslot. It was originally 'I should use a cat from NL. Oh, wait, Caslot's got that luck thingy, right? PERFECT.'
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Time for another post.

A collection of silly thoughts

Firstly, a warning. Some people can get very sensative about certain words being used, regardless of context. This post will contain certain words commonly used in the US as derogatory terms for homosexuals. No offence is meant, intended, or otherwise, partly because I am not a bigot and partly for...well, that's the joke.

Thought 1

In American English 'faggot' and 'fag' mean 'gay' and are insults. In Britain, though? A faggot is a sort of meatball type thing and is delicious. Especially with gravy. A fag is a cigarette.

Americans must get confused - or even offended - when a Brit says they're stepping out to suck on a fag or they like to eat faggots.

Though 2

On the big 13+ hour road trip to Edmonton, we drove through Jasper National Park (and stopped at a gas station in Jasper itself). Jasper is just inside Alberta, so Mum asked me what it was like, being in Alberta. To be honest? It was a lot like being in BC. We were in a National Park, so we couldn't see anything for the damn TREES.

Thought 3

The house we're in is owned by the roofing company my Dad works for, and is generally rented out temporarily to any local employee of said company while they get themselves a proper home elsewhere in Edmonton. So, it's owned by a roofing compnay and usually has roofers in it. So it must be pretty embarrassing for them that there are water marks on the ceiling from where the roof has leaked.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
Faggot is definitely still an insult here in Brit Land - yes, it's a type of meatball, but it also means the same as what it means in Basic English.
Alternatively, it means a bundle of firewood. Frankly, I've heard the straight up 'gay' used more in that context. Never 'faggot'.
How a pharmacy will provide me with Rabbit

Lappy is dead. She is no more. She has ceased to be. She has gone to meet her maker. She is an ex-laptop.

Well, that's not strictly tru. I was trying to pick her up when the hinges suddenly seemed to fail, causing my grip to slip and her screen to slam down on the keyboard as she slammed down onto the table. This managed to break the harddrive, as a nerd with a high-end laptop and a snazzy harddrive reading gadget diagnosed for me. Lappy is otherwise fine, meaning that we'd be able to get a new harddrive for her and repair her if we could faff around with installing the new harddrive and putting Windows 8 onto it.

We can't faff around. So we're going to a Canadian pharmacy chain called Shopper's Drug Mart.

Thing is, they have a point system that Dad has managed to save up about $240 worth of. Plus, we got a flyer for a ton of deals Shopper's'll be doing on Saturday, one of which is on a pair of laptops. The first laptop is about as powerful as Lappy was, for just under $300. The other is twice as powerful, but the same size and just over $300. Thing is, the Saturday deal for the second one is that you get a $50 gift card for Shopper's if you buy it. For a regular customer of Shopper's Drug Mart, like my Dad, that essentially gives you free money and thus essentially knocks down the price to...about the same as the less powerful laptop. Why would you not get it?

All in all, I should have a new laptop by Saturday, on which I shall try and redownload Steam and all my Steam games, rebuild my bookmarks, and try to keep this one alive. She's the second laptop I've managed to kill, the first was my mobile phone put through the wash, the second was a teeny notebook laptop I kept leaving on and cooked. I shall name her Rabbit, because the last one was Lappy and the french for rabbit is Lapin.

A collection of silliness

The other day, Daisy (one of my dogs) started barking because a Pink Floyd song came on the radio. That dog has issues.

Same day, the song 'Eyes Without A Face' came on the radio. Dad commented that eyes without a face is creepy. After a pause in which I thought of it as a riddle, I deadpanned 'That's a potato.'

When the nerd came by earlier today, Mum texted Dad to ask if she could pay with her debit card. Predictive text wanted to ask if she could pay with her daughter. Thaaaanks.
Something silly

Change of plans. Mum mentioned Brer Rabbit, and I decided to go with something that sounds both like 'Brer' and vaguely feminine. I am currently using Briar. Done.

In other silliness, have you ever hear of the bootlegged version of Pokemon Crystal known as Vietamese Crystal? It's an unofficial release of Crystal in China, bottlegged into Vietnamese, then translated into English. Or some semblance of English, anyway. The translation is aweful, and absolutely hilarious. There's a screenshot LP of it somewhere on LPArchive, can't find it right now. Be warned, it contains swearing. Not just the LP, but the game itself, although probably unintentionally.

To give you an idea of how bad the translation is (and how often and bad the swearing is), the game translates '<player> put the Potion in the Bag' as '<player>!drug bag f***'. I am not joking. Some variation of this happens with nearly every item: there's a '<player>!greasy bag f***' and a '<player> relief f***' at some points.

Anyway, I decided to run '<player> put the Potion in the Bag' through the translation process: English->Japanese->Chinese->Vietnamese->English. Using Google translate. Hilarity ensued. Using Chinese (simplified), I got '<Player> The Potion Bag'. Vaguely understandable, kinda boring. Chinese (traditional) got me the same thing,

Then I decided to run '<player> drug bag f***' through the same processes. Chinese (traditional) got me '<Player> Irazu hell'. Bizarre, but the sort of mangling you'd expect. What was really wierd, though, was when I used Chinese (simplified). Somehow, I got...'<player> non-Pokemon'. Holy hell, how did that actually get there?!
Will you press the button?

I like the site 'willyoupressthebutton.com'. It can put up some questions that really make you think. I've decided to run through a few and my responses to them here.

You can have a parallel life as the opposite gender that you are able to switch between at any time you please but the current you will have suffered a horrible accident and look ugly for the rest of your life, the other will not.
I have an issue with all gender bending, personally. Not RL ones, that's a product of a transexual's choice, which is my entire beef with fictional gender bending. I am biologically female and lucky enough to have a gender identity that matches. Much as a transexual does not want to be the biological sex they are born with, I do not want to become male. I would refuse any and all gender bending directed at my person. No thanks. Also, since when is 'being ugly' a horrendous downside? THAT'S offensive.

You receive immense wealth and power. but You abandon your one greatest desire indefinitely.
I pushed this one, because I think people have multiple great desires with the greatest changing based on when they think about it. Plus, one of my greatest desires (and most people's, probably) is itself to have much wealth and power. That desire WOULD be abandoned, simply because it's been fulfilled.

You stop The Holocaust from ever happening but You die a slow, painful, tortuous death
As horrible as the Holocaust was...it was probably necessary. With that level of horror already accomplished, future generations are less likely to do something simiar themselves. It's like the problem of shooting Hitler: shoot the dictator, there'll be another along in a minute. As much as refusing to push the button would condemn so many, it probably allowed many to be born AND spared more victims of a hypothetical future genocide.

Every videogame that has ever existed, for any system and of any type and genre, will be available on Steam, sold for a slightly lower price (about from -25% to -40%, depending on the game) of the retail version if not already available. but There will never be Steam Sales of any sort again.
Considering many Steam Sales don't even get that low, AND I get to play countless console exclusives I've given up hope of ever playing, AND it's for less than half price, sign me the hell up!