KathiraNarae [Rambling 'Round the Rant] Contains mild swearing.
I am a lunatic troper.

Yes, I am, that's probably the best description of me you can ever find.

Let's start with the basics. I'm currently 19, nearing the end of a year-long holiday ('vacation' to you damn yanks), I have a real name I won't disclose, I'm currently in Kelowna, BC, Canada. And this place is awesome, with the pretty lakes and the mountains in the background and the wonderful, wonderful people...Come to Canada, guys, it's fantastic.

And steer clear of Britain, because the economic situation was what forced me and my parents to leave the sudden hellhole of joblessness and lack of money. Flynn were kind enough to pay for Dad to fly over and work for them.

Yes, I am very British, which means I have a grasp of sarcasm and self-depreciation FAR BEYOND YOUR GRASP. Being British is a sort of point of pessimistic pride with me: my country sucks, my countrymen suck, we have nothing to offer but history and rain, yet I'm kinda happy to be British for no reason I can explain. Even I'm not sure why. That said, I don't consider the rest of the world much better. Canada's pretty and has nice people, but the summers are too hot, I hate shovelling snow, and I'm sure there's other downsides I have yet to encounter. Australia is badass, the people are cool, but the place is a certifiable Death World. Come to Australia, you might accidently get killed!

Yeah, in case you couldn't tell, I'm quite the cynical bastard, but I like to consider that it's more a Knight in Sour Armour thing. Yes, the world is full of crap, people are full of selfish shit, everything is going to hell, but maybe I just consider that I can't let the world get away with anything less than perfection. We're better than this, I know we are, we just have to try to change and improve.

Maybe I ought to stop this rant here. I'll probably tell you more on my interests and insanity later, but feel free to ask any question. I can't guarantee you'll get an answer, but you can ask any question.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Copying Nova, huh? XD I'm not brave enough to do anything like this and it would probably end up with less words in the whole thread (no matter how long it's up for) than this post I'm writing right now. XD Anyway. I figured I'd post here anyhow and ask a stupid question. What's up with the language? I mean, I know you put it in the title, but when I saw it, I was expecting a whole storm. XDD Also, the video is hilarious.
@ Kaelyn: I said 'mild' swearing, mate. That means not being that strong, avoiding F, C, T, B, those guys, but I sometimes have a hard time rephrasing something to take the mild swearing out. Irritatingly enough. So, basically, that means 'shit', 'cock', 'crap', those guys. Plus the very British 'bollocks' and 'wanker', the latter of which any true Brit can make sound WORSE than the F-word. So, yeah, I said 'mild' swearing and I meant it. Chances are something will piss me off enough for me to put a cluster-F bomb in spoiler tags, though...I can swear like a sailor when sufficiently pissed off...

And yes, I am sophisticated as hell. :P
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
I swear like a sailor all the time, just not here, because it's generally frowned upon in this region. In fact, it's the very first rule.

I have a question; is there anything in the world that you treasure very much?
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
....I didn't know the words "bollocks" and "wanker" were considered foul language? XD Thanks for the lesson, Kath. lol

I guess I will say something here... I don't cuss/curse, at least not those common foul language words. And I suppose it's also a matter of what you think. I don't consider words like "crap" or "suck" (as in "that sucks", speaking of a situation that is a bit on the negative side, as in someone's car breaking down or something) to be foul language, but words like the B-word, also another name for a female dog btw (not sure if there are people who don't know that or not), the S-word, and obviously the F-word are. Now, I probably don't know all of them that exist, so I guess I'll be quiet now. ^^()
(07-25-2014, 09:56 PM)Kaelyn Wrote: ....I didn't know the words "the first one" and "the second one" were considered foul language? XD Thanks for the lesson, Kath. lol

British slang. British English is very different to American English :p
(07-26-2014, 03:34 AM)MrKyurem Wrote:
(07-25-2014, 09:56 PM)Kaelyn Wrote: ....I didn't know the words "the first one" and "the second one" were considered foul language? XD Thanks for the lesson, Kath. lol

British slang. British English is very different to American English :p

My apologies if I offended you, Kyurem. I understood that British English was different from American English. . . . I just guess I didn't think it went that far. ^^()
Pretty sure the smily means he isn't offended, Kaelyn.

So what the hell IS a troper, anyway?

I've kept mentioning that I'm a troper, right? Well, a troper is someone addicted to the browser narcotic TVTropes.org. That site is a relaxed, sometimes fun collection of tropes from all kinds of different media. Books, TV, films, anime, elsewhere on the internet, and yes, video games.

Maybe I should explain what a trope is. A trope is a 'literary device' or convention that, chances are, the audience has already come across and will recognise instantly. Or at least not bat an eye at it, since it just 'feels right'. Tropes aren't cliches, they're just...there, most of the time. Such things as It's Personal, Herioc Sacrifice, or Big Bad. They even crop up in real life, too, sometimes, to the point that some sensative tropes have 'No Real Life Examples, Please' tags on them.

Of course, it's highly addicting, this site. You read one trope description and all the examples--that's where the understanding comes from, when you realise you've seen it before--and then you follow the many, many potholes to other tropes, and see more, and more, and more, and more, and more, and more, and before you know it, your browser window has run out of tab space. Your vocabulary will be ruined beyond all repair, too: I have an egregious tendency to use trope names to mean those tropes in casual conversation. Not to mention my egregious use of 'egregious'...

But this is what a troper is. Someone who reads through TVTropes.org as the go-to boredom-reliever/procrastination device. Alternatively, it could also mean someone with an account on the site who is able to edit in examples to trope pages, or add tropes to works pages. Even now, I'm working my way through the works page for the entire Mass Effect series, and it is thanks to TVTropes that I want to play that series. It's thanks to TVTropes that I've encountered numerous new works that I enjoy, but would likely never have experienced without being steered towards them by TVTropes. I think I actually got into Pokemon that way. Which would make TVTropes responsible for me writing this here.
My computer has been on for a week straight because I opened too many TV Tropes Wiki tabs and tried to read them all. (although most of the tabs at this point are actually from Wikipedia)

I guess I was holding the Idiot Ball when I made that decision.
Yes. Yes you were. Nice to meet a fellow troper, though!
Governments refuse to relinquish money.

University is expensive. It's a fact of life, you have to pay the uni a TON of cash to study there. Thankfully, the British government (at least) has a system where you can apply for and recieve special loans that are easier to deal with than bank loans and get yourself through.

That doesn't mean trying to GET it is easy. Oooooh no.

But first, a tangent. My Dad was playing company softball a while back and it was his turn to bat. He hit the ball, started to run as he was dropping the bat and POP! No more running. We all thought the stupid idiot had dropped the bat on his ankle, but it turned out that he was just unlucky enough that his achilles tendon popped out. He had to pay for the medical treatment, but put in a claim to get the money back out of the government. (He's insured. I'm not.)

That was 2 months ago. We still haven't got it.

Let's go back to my student finance issues, shall we? I applied for student finance last year, as a fall back in case I had to stay in England instead of coming to Canada. It went through to the point that all they were missing was my bank details for maintenance grant. A year later, I applied again for the finance to be for the next academic year, since I had ultimately deferred my place. As a part of that, I did the stuff needed to tell them that I DO want the finance guys to talk to the uni about my finance. When I got to look at the letter about my finance online, however, I wasn't going to get my tuition fee loan.

So I phoned. A few minor problems with the phone were ultimately sorted and I successfully got through. Then...

For inconvenience, press 1.

Ohgodwhy. Press 1 for full-time, 2 for part-time. I pressed 1. The message repeated. I pressed 1. The message repeated. I jabbed 1 many times. The message repeated. I shouted at the phone. I was transferred to an advisor.

That was lucky. Normally, these things just go round in circles or hang up, but I got straight to a person why simply waiting! An getting angry.

As it turns out, the finance guys HADN'T talked to the uni. See, if you don't turn up, you don't get the cash. Fair enough, but apparently the finance guys hadn't known that this was because I had deferred. Which...woulda helped, really. As it was, I had to go through the rigmarole of cancelling the earlier application and having my tuition fee loan re-evaluated. *headdesk*

Welp, let's see how this goes and if I need to shout some more. Governments really don't want to give people their money.
GREAT BIG F***ING RANT!

Update on the finance issue! They decided to completely wipe all my applications and start over. Not THAT bad, especially since I immediately tried to start my new application as sonn as I read the email.

Only to have the site puke up an error. Multiple times. That was last Friday and it still ain't been fixed. I've had to contact them, but time will tell if anything gets done. Even worse, I only have about 6 weeks to apply, have it go through, sign and post the form, and hope that the form makes it back to the finance people in time since I'm in FREAKIN' CANADA.

Which means I have to book a flight back to England, which will be cheaper if I do it about now instead of waiting until the last minute. Two problems with this, though. Problem one, Dad can't afford to pay for the ticket because the Canadian government hasn't given him his medical claim yet, and I can't really afford the ticket because I desperately need to keep as much as possible to actually pay for my uni stuff (housing, food, stationary, textbooks...). Problem two, I don't know enough about when I need to be in England for because Loughborough hasn't emailed me what they said they would yet. It's due about now, but I can't really afford to wait because of the whole flight issue. ARGH!

On a more trivial note, Game Freak has managed to piss me off. Y'know how you can move mons from on gen to the next gen in the latter gen's game? You can use the Unovan Poketransporter to get Sinnoh mons from your Gen IV file, for example. To do this from Gen V to Gen VI, you need to download Pokemon Bank and Poketransporter off the eShop. Simple enough, right?

Except you absolutely HAVE to pay for the privalidge of dumping tons upon tons of extra mons into the enormous boxes of Pokemon Bank just to shift ONE box from Gen V into it! You have to PAY money for something that you didn't have to pay for before! THANKS A F***ING LOT, GAME FREAK!
And this is why I love being in junior high in a state in the u.s.a cause at this age, All I have to deal with is my 3ds practicaly melting. Basically, you've won my sympathy.
I could ramble for hours here

Because one of my favourite shows, with an actor I like and am looking forward, is on again VERY VERY SOOOOOON!!!!!

It didn't happen with the last...three actors in that particular role, but I am DEFINATELY looking forward to this one? Why? You'll have to figure it out via this brain teaser:

What do I mean by 'The angel has the phone box'? I need an absolutely full answer to give the full number of bragging rights.
Doctor Who?
Not even half a bragging right.
Windows 8 sucks

It's horrible. I mean, everyone needs to use a computer of any kind to actually get on nowadays (thus leaving those who can't afford that behind and laughing at them), but tablets and laptops with touchscreens are much more expensive. Thus, those who can barely afford a computer can only get a cheap laptop that, if new, comes with Windows 8.

Which is designed for touchscreens, thus laughing at those who can't afford a touchscreen capable computer. Like me, who needs to save as much as possible to actually get through uni. I've been wrestling with my new Windows 8.1 operated laptop and the whole damn things is so inintuitive. You know things are dreadful when you need to look up instructions on how to turn the damn thing off. Seriously. It's bullshit.

Not to mention that the whole thing runs on apps and links to an app store, while apparently conveniently forgetting that apps use touchscreens. *headdesk* Included in this are my attempt at loading Netflix just to see if it could possibly work. Apperently, the one that came pre-loaded onto my laptop via Windows 8.1 was outdated (as was the pre-loaded Skype) and told me to go to the update screen. I did so, apparently there's updates for most of my pre-loaded apps, most of which I will never use. So I tried to click on and off certain ones to only update the ones I'll be using, but clicking the apps in the update screen takes you to their app store pages, which only says you have the app. Basically, you can only update every single app you have in one go, regardless of how long the updates for the unnecessary apps will take on their own, or not update anything at all and never use anything. AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!! Someone bomb Microsoft from orbit, please!

Skype was trouble, too. It told me to either log in with an existing Microsoft account or make a new Microsoft account. What if I don't WANT a Microsoft account?! So, knowing I'd eventually have to make one to download new apps, I went through the process which included another frustration feature. At one point, you're asked something about security/privacy settings, and there're 'learn more' tabs by each thing. I clicked one to learn what it was, the form completely vanished and was replaced by the info, and there was no way of going back to the form you were on. I had to click cancel...which made me start the WHOLE F***ING THING ALL OVER AGAIN!

Only when I had finally completed the whole rigmarole did Skype tell me it was outdated. ********************!!!!!!!

Thankfully, downloading it via browser went smoothly, especially since the very first thing I'd done was use Internet Explorer to download Firefox.

Either way, Windows sucks, Microsoft sucks, I can't work my laptop, and I am frustrated and angry. ************!!!!!
I can understand your frustration, Kath. I too, unfortunately have Win8. A heads up: if you don't want the computer to do automatic updates, go into the registry and modify the appropriate file. There's a short instruction online, and it's not too hard. Windows (in 8) no longer has a "postpone" option. It Will shut you down and close all programs to update. You'll have to manually check and do the update, but I'd rather that than losing all of my work, especially with you going to a university. During the semester, my computer basically isn't turned off. I know it's bad, but I need it that way to continue working on everything. The computer is always either on, or in hibernation mode. I also only have 8.0, too lazy for once and not wanting to mess with 8.1. The first version is bad enough.

I also don't use ANY of the "apps", expect maybe paint and whatnot. I do everything from the desktop like you would with the older windows OS. I think, as soon as I am able and know how, I'll change this computer into one of those where it has two separate OS to choose from when you start the computer. If anyone has the technical term for that, I'd like it please. ^^()

If you are too frustrated with it, I can offer help and/or any advice I might have, and I'm sure with all the high tech geeks (calculus 3 and so on.. XD) around here, it'll be fine.
8.1 is apparently FAR better than 8. It's still horrible, but better.
Windows 8's step back and a silly thought

Windows 8 really IS a step back in comparison to 7. So the other day, I was trying to check if my external optical drive worked (my new laptop doesn't have one built in). Turned out the box had the wrong cable in it, so we took it back to Staples and got another instead. That one worked, but not before encountering a problem with actually plugging it into the laptop.

Am I right in thinking that with the uses of such things as memory sticks and external disc drives, you'd be more likely to put the USB in while the computer is on? Yeah, my laptop and its Windows 8 doesn't do that. Windows 7 and Vista are fine: they spot the new hardwear and automatically install all the drivers needed so you can just go into My Computer, find the USB, and off you go. But the next OS? You have to shut down the computer, plug in the USB, restart the computer, and then find the drive. Which is way too much hassle, especially for a technology that is most often plugged in after boot-up and customers will be used to by now. Definately a step backwards, removing the auto driver install.

And now for something completely different.

I was reading the trope 'Scunthorpe Problem' and came across the following:
Quote:Non-profanity example: once upon a time, a certain RPG company decided to find and replace all instances of "mage" in an AD&D supplement with "wizard". This led to sentences like "The user may look into the ball, concentrate on any place or object, and cause the iwizard of the place or object to appear" and "The tower can absorb 200 points of dawizard before collapsing."

It gave me a couple of silly mental images in my head. Like the crystal ball, the filtered version gives the impression that the ball will give you the target's magic-organisation systems designed by Apple: the iWizard. And the tower thing made me imagine throwing 200 'Totally Radical!' wizards at a tower to knock it down, all because of 'Da Wizard!' Am I just insane?