Super Smash Bros
(04-04-2015, 07:58 PM)Taav Wrote: I wouldn't discount Ice Climbers entirely. The technical limitations only applied to the 3DS version of smash. If enough people wanted them back, there is nothing preventing Nintendo from offering them as a Wii U exclusive.

That was the reason why they weren't added in the first place - they want the 3DS roster to be identical to the Wii U roster.
As I said in the previous post, it's clear that they didn't want any game-exclusive characters for the initial roster. It's not entirely clear if that standard would have to hold for downloadable characters. If enough people want Ice Climbers back, they might consider it. After all, we're talking about a bonus character, that would take minimal effort to make for the Wii U version.

Do I think they stand a decent chance? No, not really. But I rank them far higher on the likelihood ladder than Reggie, Goku and Banjo. Sakurai is full of surprises, and I don't think this one would be beyond him.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

Banjo would be a pretty cool character to have… also, with the New 3DS, perhaps it's possible now? If so, I would definitely by the New 3DS just to get Ice Climbers...
Rare characters are difficult for Nintendo to use because Rare has long left its partnership from Nintendo, and is now owned by Microsoft. Getting Banjo in would require approval from Microsoft. Though, perhaps they would be willing.

I think this partially explains why King K. Rool hasn't been given any preference. Even though DK characters are fair game for SSB, nearly all of K. Rool's appearances were from Rare games. Even in the rebooted Donkey Kong Country series, he doesn't return as a villain. Perhaps they are just trying to keep a distance from the old Rare stuff. And if that's the case, I wouldn't expect to see Banjo in either.

As far as using the new 3DS to allow for the Ice Climbers to join the fray, I doubt it would work well, or at all. The game isn't a new 3DS game, it's an old 3DS game. Having a character that requires the new hardware requires just doesn't seem practical, especially when they could pick something more feasible.
~ Taav

They're not taking a complete backseat to Rare stuff, though, Krystal is apparently now integral to the Star Fox series, but her debut game was a Rare one. See Star Fox Command, Star Fox Assault, and the Star Fox characters' special taunts in Brawl.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
I heard a good idea on another forum that made me think: Maxwell, from Scribblenauts. The possibilities are L͔̖̘̮̟̰̬͟I͍͔̥Ṱ̢̤̤͈E͇̬͓͇R̫̮͖A̞L̡͙̳͉͖̟̩ͅL̮͍̰Ý̖͍̘ ̯̰̺͕̞͕E̹̳͇̗̘N͉͝D̵̯͔͇̖̫͚̥Ļ̝E͏̜̫̟̻S͞S. I haven't placed my vote yet, but it'll probably be that. Also, although this isn't really plausible because there are already two Link characters and a Midna assist trophy, a Wolf Link / Midna pairing a la Duck Hunt might be somewhat interesting. Ghirahim would also be a great fighter, but... they've made all the good ideas assists. This is also why we can't have Waluigi. :^}c
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
There is another DLC contestant that we all need to... remember.

While I don't really think Higgs stands much of a chance, it would be awesome to have another Metroid rep. He certainly stands the best chance right now, considering Ridley's fate as a stage boss (and no, Alfonzo cannot substitute for him, sorry). There are a few other 'viable' characters, but they really aren't that important.

What I'm hoping for, more than anything else, is that we get a 3DS (or Wii U) Metroid game soon. Preferably something that adds plot and characters to the world, but I would be happy with anything at this point. I could see a couple of the DLC being characters from future games, kinda like how Roy was put in Melee before Binding Blade was released.

I'm kinda just musing at this point. I think it's fairly unlikely that any Metroid character will make it as DLC.
~ Taav

*Posting Spree Bump*

So, it's been a while since we talked Smash Bros. Aside from a few comments in the E3 thread, we haven't really discussed anything since the opening of the poll.

In case you have been under a rock this whole time, Lucas (Mother 3), Roy (Fire Emblem 6) have returned as veteran fighters, and Ryu (Street Fighter) has been introduced as a new character. I don't know any Smash fans who aren't ecstatic by at least one of these announcements.

I myself just bought Roy for both the 3DS and Wii U versions. I must say, his fighting style feels entirely new. He doesn't play quite like the the Roy from Melee, and he is very different from SSB4's Marth. His move set is essentially the same, but the differences they made really make a difference. He gained a down aerial that is very similar to Ike's, has a slower and heavier neutral special, and his regular neutral attack is more of an uppercut style attack. There are certainly upsides and downsides to using him, but I feel like he's actually somewhat viable this time, unlike back in Melee.

I really wanna try out Ryu soon, but I've yet to purchase him. I'm gonna get Lucas too just for the heck of it. I never really played as him in Brawl, but I love the Earthbound characters, so I don't mind at all. Also on my list of things to get are the Dunban Costume for Mii Sword, the good old Dreamland N64 stage, and Ryu's new stage (comes with his character).

I'd love to get a group going again for some more smash. We did 3DS last time, but I'm definitely open for Wii U matches as well.
~ Taav