Super Smash Bros
I'm guessing that at the very least, we will see Ganondorf, Ness, Meta Knight and Wario back. The first two are traditionally unlockables, so it makes sense for them to be revealed close to the release date. And Wario and Meta Knight are both very important characters from Brawl, so I think they're safe too. My gut tells me that Jigglypuff and Mr. Game & Watch are also somewhat likely.

Going down the list of all unconfirmed SSB characters:
And some potential new characters:
(07-24-2014, 05:43 PM)KathiraNarae Wrote: Personally, what with keeping Toon Link, I think Zelda and Sheik should've been kept together, thus keeping the number of LoZ slots down and allowing for newbies, while still having a large LoZ presence.

Toon Link is still highly relevant. Unlike Young Link, who never really developed into his own character, the Toon Link games have grown into a sub-series of sorts. They're obviously promoting Spirit Tracks in the 3DS version, and the Wii U has Windwaker HD. Makes perfect sense for him to be back.

Also, there were several good reasons for splitting up characters. It would have added strain for the 3DS version, which is much more limited in hardware. The other reason is that most fans don't actually switch versions during battle. In my case, I seldom use Samus, but I love playing as Zero Suit Samus. So I feel like it was a smart decision to split up each character as they did.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

I wasn't saying Toon Link shouldn't be in, in fact I like him! I only mentioned him for keeping the LoZ roster tally in mind. And as for the Star Fox series not having much of a statement...wouldn't you think the truly excellent 3DS remake of 64 is enough? They really shouldn't cut Falco, he's one of the best characters and Star Fox ought to have a slightly higher presence than just one character. After all, the Ice Climbers had no presence beyond Smash Bros and have yet to get a new game, and ditto Pit in Brawl--ESPECIALLY since Dark Pit only really exists due to a Brawl palette swap for Pit and I think Uprising being a Kid Icarus game was mostly coincidence (it was originally completely original, until someone noticed that the third-person shooter in air and on land would actually fit Pit perfectly). Wolf, on the other hand...I love him as a character, utterly adore him, but his gameplay is actually kinda terrible, he debuted in Brawl (no chance of tenure), and if any Star Fox character is gonna be cut, it'll be him. I love him, I really want him back, but he's unlikely to return. *sob*
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
I'd like to see Falco and Wolf stay. The problem I see is just that the SSB4 roster is going to be jam packed, and three characters is a lot for Star Fox. It was a surprise in Brawl, and I think the same goes here too.

Now, I should mention that I've never actually played a Star Fox game, so my knowledge is limited. But the fact that it hasn't produced anything new weighs against it, as far as SSB representation goes. Fire Emblem Awakening was a huge success, and that has resulted in 4 FE playable characters in the game, when most people were considering two. Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Pokemon all have had plenty of new games, and each has at least 3 reps. On the other hand, You have Captain Falcon, who hasn't had a game in quite some time, and hasn't received any new reps since the first game. Star Fox aligns more closely with F-Zero than it does with the franchises with 3+ characters. So why does it have 3 characters in the first place?

That's my rationale anyway. I feel like they're going to have to make some tough choices, and that Star Fox is going to receive the kick to the groin. I suppose having the Star Fox 3DS remake helps, but I'm not sure that will be enough.
~ Taav

Nintendo has stated that there will be a new Star Fox game for the Wii U for 2015. It would not be too surprising for them to include 3 characters to build up hype for that game, seeing how Pit was included in SSBB almost 4 years before his new game came out.
...For the Wii U. Dammit, Nintendo, put more Star Fox on 3DS so I can ACTUALLY PLAY IT!
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
If anyone's interested, Nintendo's streaming footage of SSB for 3DS on YouTube/Twitch right now. Apparently it's a tournament.
That Wii U Star Fox game could mean something. If they do try to build up some hype, I imagine they might change up the Star Fox representation rather than keeping it as it is. Perhaps Wolf will be replaced by Crystal Krystal (my bad)? Whatever the case, I suspect that the representation will change in some way.

What other games could use new reps? Donkey Kong has plenty of plausible candidates, including K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, and maybe even Cranky Kong (since he actually is playable in the new Wii U game). Legend of Zelda could definitely have another antagonist, though it's not necessarily low on representation. There are countless options for Pokemon, and while we could see Jigglypuff come back, there are so many options that I'd be disappointed if they did that. And Metroid lacks plausible candidates, other than Ridley (which is also somewhat debatable).

But DK, LoZ, and Pokemon don't really need more characters (notice how I left out Metroid). I'd rather see some characters from franchises that have thus far been left untouched. Still hoping that Shulk gets a spot.
~ Taav
[Image: GziDAAU.png]

Isn't Ridley a giant metal quetzalcoatlus or something? How would that work?
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
It really depends on what characters that new Star Fox game will feature then, but I feel that Fox and Falco would definitely stay.

I think any of the characters that were in the N64 Smash would most likely return, so Jigglypuff would probably be around.

I feel like Shulk might not be included just because of the high number of sword-users, although for some strange reason they put Lucina in the game. Perhaps the new main character of the Xenoblade sequel to build up hype?

I'd also be amused if Bayonetta was put in the game, but I highly doubt that.
(07-26-2014, 10:54 PM)Sardonic Nova Wrote: Isn't Ridley a giant metal quetzalcoatlus or something? How would that work?

This is the main argument against him, and it's been a topic of endless debate up to this point. Ridley was in SSBB, but he appeared as a huge boss, way too big to be plausible as a playable character. If he were to make it, he would have to be resized significantly (there's really no argument there).

The point of conflict is in whether or not resizing is a good idea. Some people think that it would mess up the Samus - Ridley ration that is more or less constant throughout the series (other than the NES game). Others think that he wouldn't

(07-26-2014, 10:57 PM)Lezoux Wrote: I think any of the characters that were in the N64 Smash would most likely return, so Jigglypuff would probably be around.

That's essentially my line of thought. It makes sense to keep all of the original characters out of nostalgia.

(07-26-2014, 10:57 PM)Lezoux Wrote: I feel like Shulk might not be included just because of the high number of sword-users, although for some strange reason they put Lucina in the game. Perhaps the new main character of the Xenoblade sequel to build up hype?

I see this argument all the time, but only from people who haven't played Xenoblade.

But Shulk isn't just another sword user though. The Monado is not an ordinary sword (and neither is Ragnell, but I digress). If he were in, he would be completely different from Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Meta Knight, Link, Toon Link, et cetera.

Shulk is as much of a wild card as Robin is, but in a different sort of way. He has healing, shield utility, increased agility, and other skills that he gains from using the Monado. Just as Robin has magic in addition to his swords, Shulk wouldn't just be using his sword as a sword.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't enough info for Xenoblade U to warrant a SSB character.
~ Taav

Bowser is extremely smaller in SSB than he is in the actual Mario series; if it works for him, it works for Ridley.

That said, I'm pretty sure the teaser was implying he'd be in as a stage boss.
@Isaac: It's 'Krystal'. With a 'K'.

@everyone: Metroid definately needs more representation, while LoZ, Mario, and Pokemon really don't. My only exception to that ruLe would be making Waluigi playable (COME ON, NINTENDO! BRING ON WALUIGI TIME!). I disagree on LoZ needing another antagonist to represent it, I think the Big Bad of the entire SERIES (Ganondorf) is enough. Not to mention that there aren't THAT many viable candidates. Maybe Ghirahim, Vaati, or Yuga, but they all have issues anyway.

I've always considered Wario Ware and DK to purely be subsets of Mario, so they ought to only get more reps if Mario ones are dropped. Otheriwse, we should count the other spin-offs, the multiplayer non-story games (Party, Tennis, Kart etc.), and give them representation of their own...such as Waluigi. Yeah.

To be honest, I'd rather Nintendo put in more obscure Nintendo characters and thus drum up fanbases that want new games for those guys. Maybe. And from a profit standpoint, I don't think Snake should return. Hideo is such a troll and a sneaky sod that he puts advertising for console-exclusive games that haven't come out yet in the most profitable games of his primary console's direct competitor. Anyone remember the Gekkos from Brawl? Yeah, those were from MGS4 which hadn't been released!

I'd quite like to see other third parties, too. Maybe accost Capcom for Phoenix Wright (kidding, since Capcom have their own fighting games that Nick actually appeared in!)
Ah silly me. It is Krystal, isn't it... Sorry Kath.

Bowser is all sorts of sizes. His SSBB/Melee size isn't much different from his size in all of the Mario Parties and Mario Sports games. In Super Mario 64, he's small enough to be thrown around by a really short Mario, and in the old NES and SNES games he isn't very big.

Whatever the case, the shrinking isn't quite as bad for Rowser as could be for Ridley. His hand alone is large enough to completely grasp Samus with her suit on. He also has some enormous wings, and tends not to fight on the ground often (though he has in Other M and possibly in other games).

Also, fun fact: Ridley can and does talk.
[Image: metroid01_032.jpg]
~ Taav

'Why is my ship on fire?!' Because Samus is on board and the Law of Aran is that anything Samus lands on WILL be destroyed in some way.
What are the chances that we'll see a Galactic Military version of Samus as an alternate costume for Zero Suit?
(Image)
~ Taav

Forgot to mention two things about Krystal earlier: a) the aforementioned spelling correction, and b) considering that even the Star Fox series has been neglecting and sidelining her, I don't think she's very likely to rep them.

Also, regardless of what we get in terms of playable characters, it'd be really cool if we could get one of the other pilots in the team, like Slippy or Peppy, as an Assist Trophy, whether they show up in their Arwings shooting shit up or on foot doing whatever would make sense for them to do (or, hell, if we're getting anything about the upcoming StarFox game in this SSB, then this would be the perfect chance to showcase something new that might be happening to these characters in that game, some way or another...)

(07-26-2014, 11:20 PM)KathiraNarae Wrote: I've always considered Wario Ware and DK to purely be subsets of Mario, so they ought to only get more reps if Mario ones are dropped. Otheriwse, we should count the other spin-offs, the multiplayer non-story games (Party, Tennis, Kart etc.), and give them representation of their own...such as Waluigi. Yeah.
Not exactly true. Both of the series have their own universes with casts which are entirely unique apart from the returning stars. Mario ain't never set foot on Kongo Jungle or Diamond City, outside of maybe SSB. (And it should ever be mentioned the technicality that the Donkey Kong who stars in the eponymous games is distinct from the Donkey Kong who actually crossed metaphorical swords with Mario in the arcade -- that one has since become Cranky Kong.)

I definitely would enjoy seeing another new character from the DK series or WarioWare, since both of those have those wacky casts with quite a few characters who would fit into SSB like a Power Glove. (Not really counting on more new characters at this point, but it would be a nice surprise.)

(07-26-2014, 11:55 PM)Bake-kujira Wrote: Bowser is all sorts of sizes. His SSBB/Melee size isn't much different from his size in all of the Mario Parties and Mario Sports games. In Super Mario 64, he's small enough to be thrown around by a really short Mario, and in the old NES and SNES games he isn't very big.
Mario Party tends to have the same need to resize him into something more reasonable as SSB does, and he was quite large in SM64 -- it's just that somehow Mario could still toss him around. It's true enough that in older games he wasn't to different from Mario in size, though... But for the most part, probably still bigger than he is in SSB.

I don't see what the big harm would be in resizing Ridley if he ever made it to playable. So far as I can tell, size isn't one of his greatest assets anyhow.
Ridley's size matters to some, but not all metroid fans. That's why the topic is of such great debate. I'm a huge metroid fan myself, and if Ridley makes it into the game and works, then I will be overjoyed. But if he's horribly implemented, I'll be upset.

I would talk about the rumored full roster leak that's picking up popularity, but it's so bad it's hardly even worth mentioning.
~ Taav

Well then, I guess Isaac's gonna be very happy now.
Maybe, maybe not. For all we know, the leak could be faked. Best to wait until release before truly rejoicing--or complaining--over the roster.
It was officially confirmed by Nintendo that Shulk is in the game today, that was what I was talking about.