Poll: Have you read any Pokmeon manga? What do you think of it?
This poll is closed.
I've read some, and I like it.
50.00%
2 50.00%
I've tried it, but don't really care for it.
0%
0 0%
Never tried, but sounds interesting...
25.00%
1 25.00%
Never tried, probably never will...
25.00%
1 25.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pokemon Manga.
I've been meaning to ask this question a while ago, but I was inflicted with a severe case of lazy. Do you pay attention to the Pokemon manga?

I don't personally, but lately I've been interested in getting started. Unlike the anime, there are several unrelated series, each with its own form of canon.

List of Pokemon manga:

As you can see, there are a quite a few choices to choose from. There's Pokemon Pocket Monsters, which seems to take a similar approach to the anime by featuring a single main character who travels all the regions (with his... "rude clefairy"). There's also Pokemon Adventures, which introduces a new character for each region, just like the video games. There's even manga for the spin offs, including Colosseum, PMD, Ranger and even Pokemon Conquest.

I would like to gauge the overall level of interest in Pokemon Manga here at PT, so please direct your attention to the poll above if you haven't already. If enough people are interested in the manga, we could potentially start a manga reading group, or venture off into new discussions.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

I actually have Volume One of Pokemon Adventures at home, which I'm really happy about because it's quite hard to come by here in New Zealand, and I've never seen any other Pokemon manga for sale. I've only ever read Pokemon Adventures though, and only recently became aware that there are actually other series out there. I'd quite like to have a look at them, but as I said Pokemon Manga is hard to find here so that could make that difficult.
Not many days ago, I found some Pocket Monsters manga books. But they were printed and published by Viz, which is infamous for their censorship, so I never bought the books.
I was gonna buy some volumes of the HGSS arc of Special, but felt a bit awkward in the children's section, so I refrained from buying them.
I enjoy manga but I too feel very awkward in teh children's section so don't buy it much, I also have tried to look for it online but all I have ever found is listed as either "download" "download for a price" or "japanese" meaning not english, I dont speak japanese and definitely cannot read it.

I would just love to know where to find the online versions of manga for free, and/or no download required.
I have read many Pokémon manga (mostly inenglish since here inItaly they published only 2-3 series) so here's my list:
- Pokémon Special (in Italy they published only the first volumes and now they are translating the BW arc... but I have read all the series in english)
- Phantom Thief Pokémon 7
- Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Ginji no Kyuujotai
- Pokémon Get da ze!
- Pokémon Ranger Batonnage: the Comic
- Pokémon Ranger: the Comic
How's Phantom Thief? I was thinking of trying out. Seems to have an interesting premise.

I'm working through the first volume of Pokemon Special. I was cranking through it a few months ago, but lately I've been distracted with school and other things and completely forgot about it. Now that school's over, I plan on resuming soon. Anyway, I'm really liking it so far.

I'll have to check out some of the other series in the future as well.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

(12-24-2014, 03:04 AM)Bake-kujira Wrote: How's Phantom Thief? I was thinking of trying out. Seems to have an interesting premise.

A little short but really interesting. Not a new idea like RéBurst (since its something like Superman where the hero hides his superpowers) but you can enjoy it :)
Hi all.

I might as well do an update post here, since I've started reading Pokemon Special. In short, the manga is nothing short of amazing. It's super nostalgic for anyone who has played the games, but at the same time, it's new and refreshing (for someone who didn't read them as a kid). All of the characters are the same, but their personalities and roles are often completely different.

First thing I want to note is that Blue (aka Gary MF Oak) is far less of a jerk in general. His personality is similar to his anime and in-game counterparts, but he tends to be a better person. What I like most is that Red and Blue end up learning from each other as rivals, something that just isn't visible in either the game or show, but highly apparent in the PS.

There's also the Rockets. They're still a bunch of lousy crooks, but they are far more ruthless. Or perhaps its just that their ruthlessness is far more visible. Anyway, I was surprised by the Rockets, as they were far less of a joke in general. I can't really say more without spoiling things, so I'll stop there.

My favorite character in the Red saga was definitely Blaine. Blaine is one of those characters who you would think would have a consistent personality in all of his appearances, but no.. not really. He is far more integral to the main plot, has an actual backstory, and is just really awesome, unlike the freaky riddle-spewing Blaine from the anime.

I'm currently making my way through Amarillo del Bosque Verde's Yellow's story now. Red's story was a lose retelling of R/B/G, but Yellow's is completely original, by the looks of it. I like what I'm reading so far.

Has anyone else been reading it? I know it's difficult to find hard copies of the manga, but it is available online. I cannot provide a link, as I cannot confirm the legality of the site, but it appears to be legitimate. It's not hard to find either.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

I'm up to however far the scanlated versions online are (beginning of BW2/XY/ORAS arcs).

In the past 4-5 years, Viz Media has been releasing new translations. I think they're almost done with everything from RBG-FrLg, DPP-HGSS, and have started BW