Will Pokemon ever die?
Well... yeah. Nothing lasts forever, right?

How long do you think Pokemon will last? The series has been going strong since 1996, and continues to grow in support with X/Y and the gen III remakes. But the game formula hasn't changed significantly over the course of nearly twenty years, and it doesn't look like it ever will. With this in mind, what would it take for the globally popular franchise to fall (financially or in terms of popularity)?

And to clarify, this question refers to the entire franchise, not just the video games. Discuss!
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer

[Image: GziDAAU.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

I'm only familiar with the games, but I don't think the anime series will last as long as them. As for how long the games'll last? Can't say, it might be a long, long time, but they will fall and I'll probably be around to see it.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Yeah, I'd guess that the anime would die first. It has to compete with similar shows like Digmon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and probably a bunch of others. And for the the older community, it's not nearly as popular as the games are. Yet, I'm willing to bet it won't actually die out anytime soon, since there are plenty of kids out there who probably watch the show.

As far as the games go, I'm fairly confident that they're here to stay for a long time. I wouldn't be too surprised to see entire fathers and mothers who are just as into the series as their kids pretty soon. The people who grew up with the original games are now adults in their late 20's, and plenty of them still like Pokemon. The more I think about it, the more interested I am in seeing this phenomenon.
~ Taav

It's very difficult to say because in the past there simply haven't been long-lasting global franchises like Pokémon. Even for cartoons, games, etc. from the eighties or so, there was a lot less cross-pollination and fewer properties that spread worldwide. Rather than looking at other media properties, then, I think it would be more instructive to look at something like Coca-Cola, which has made itself an ubiquitous name worldwide. And of course, Coke hasn't gone anywhere for over 100 years and shows no sign of slowing down, either. So, barring climate change catching up to us and/or thermonuclear war wiping a large chunk of the population out or a collapse of the global capitalist economy--you know, the end of life as we know it--I can easily see Pokémon lasting hundreds of years. Pretty weird to think you've been around to see the early days of something that might have cultural relevance for generations and generations to come, eh?

Well, okay. If Nintendo goes under and refuses to go in the direction of software-only the way Sega did, then the end could come much sooner. But Pokémon is such a cash-cow that it in itself gives some insulation against that happening.

As for which particular part of the franchise is likely to fail first, I don't know, I'd say it's a toss-up between the TCG or the anime for me. The TCG has seen a big resurgence recently, but it's been on shaky footing for much of its life, and it's not clear how well the trading card game model in general is going to hold up over time. My impression is that it has even less fan support than the anime, although I don't hang out any real TCG-heavy places, so that might be sampling bias on my part. On the other hand, I don't really know the popularity of the anime with the young-uns, but at least as of right now it really doesn't have a ton of appeal outside that demographic, which limits its marketability much more than the rest of the franchise. For that reason alone, it might be the first to go.
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
(07-06-2014, 03:10 AM)Tfaav Wrote: Yeah, I'd guess that the anime would die first. It has to compete with similar shows like Digmon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and probably a bunch of others. And for the the older community, it's not nearly as popular as the games are. Yet, I'm willing to bet it won't actually die out anytime soon, since there are plenty of kids out there who probably watch the show.

As far as the games go, I'm fairly confident that they're here to stay for a long time. I wouldn't be too surprised to see phen375 on https://skinnyexpress.com/phen375-review entire fathers and mothers who are just as into the series as their kids pretty soon. The people who grew up with the original games are now adults in their late 20's, and plenty of them still like Pokemon. The more I think about it, the more interested I am in seeing this phenomenon.

As long as the keep creating more anime toons people will still watch them and play the games.

I think Pokemon is just so big now that it may never die. At least I hope.
Yeah sure we can bump this.

(04-17-2016, 03:05 AM)bucell Wrote: As long as the keep creating more anime toons people will still watch them and play the games.

So you think its the anime that keeps the series going? I've always placed more weight on the game franchise, since it came first, and has always been the primary driving force for each new generation of Pokemon. Of course, I suppose the anime does its part in attracting younger audiences. Which would also explain why they haven't upgraded their protagonist in nearly two decades, assuming that the kids these days still like Ash.

I have to believe that at some point in the future, gamefreak's going to run out of ideas when it comes to making new generations, especially new Pokemon. That doesn't necessarily spell the end for Pokemon, though the company may have to change the way they think about making games. Just food for thought, I suppose.

Also, welcome bucell!
~ Taav

Quote: As long as the keep creating more anime toons people really cool stuffwill still watch them and play the games.

I think every popular game have to a see a time where it looses its charm. i hope that doesnt happens to pokemon.
I doubt it will die, especially if they keep up the good work of changing the games formula.
(07-06-2014, 02:31 AM)KathiraNarae Wrote: see website
I'm only familiar with the games, but I don't think the anime series will last as long as them. As for how long the games'll last? Can't say, it might be a long, long time, but they will fall and I'll probably be around to see it. good points

Definitely agree with you. Some members in this thread are saying that the anime will die but the game franchise will continue with new spin-offs. But the truth is that both the game and anime will come to an end. The games will obviously out live the anime but it too will grind to a halt. 2050 maybe?