Pokémon Turquoise Author's Lounge
[Image: 9LhCn0W.png]
You've stumbled upon the Pokémon Turquoise Author's Lounge! Here, authors of writing of all kinds (poetry, fiction, or nonfiction) discuss writing in general, link to some of their own writing, and discuss their tips and writing preferences! Here are a few questions to get started:

1. How do you determine your character's names?
  2. Describe your favourite character.
  3. Who are your influences?
  4. Describe your writing style.
  5. What genre do you typically write?
  6. What sort of meter or rhythm do you use?
  7. How often do you write?
  8. Have you completed any works?

Feel free to answer any other questions that pop into your head, and don't forget to link to writing so we can read it.
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
Major bump because why not give this thread and section as a whole some love?

(05-06-2014, 01:40 PM)Dazel Wrote:

1. Generally I base names of of people I've met before, or characters I've read about or watched develop. I enjoy using historical names for some of the more important or mysterious characters in my ramblings. I try to steer away from common names (Robert, Sam, Tyler) and use somewhat unique names, such as Grant, Rod, Miguel, and Dwight.

2. My favorite character? I'll have to go with Dexter Morgan. I have read both the books and watched all of the television show, and I have to say, Dexter Morgan is one of the most complex and compelling characters I have EVER seen. For those unfamiliar, Dexter is a Miami Metro PD Forensics, specializing in blood spatter analysis. He's also a serial killer, driven by his "dark passenger" to hunt the wrongs of the world. People that have slipped through the justice system cracks, when they should be behind bars. Dexter is a very awkward character in the beginning, not really understanding social norms, but as the series progresses, he becomes more of a normal human being, blending in with society and hiding his dark passenger and murderous ways from his loved ones and fellow employees.

3. Influences? I have positive and negative influences. My parents were terrible, terrible people. One wished that she had aborted me, the other was a drunk and drug abuser. I generally use them as archetypes for characters with a troubled past. Other influences are generally my interests. My huge interest in Pokemon, Computers, and History influences my writing style and plot lines.

4. Uhm, hm. Not sure how to describe it. I generally try to explain the characters and their surroundings in good detail. My sarcasm tends to find its way into my writing. I mix my voice in to create a unique narration, if one is present. I like to break things up in chapters, with each chapter being around 5 pages in Microsoft Word.

5. Fiction. Specifically Military, Historical, or, heh, Pokemon fiction. On old Turquoise I had a WIP story about a fictional Pokemon region. I am working on a military fiction piece that involves...well, just wait for me to post the preview before the year closes. I promise it's good enough for you to peek at!

7. I try to write every day. Usually before I go to sleep, I pull out my laptop and just type away. Sometimes I'll free write, timing myself and playing some tunes while I jot down ideas for future pieces or think about what I've done for the day. It keeps my mind flowing and relaxes me, giving me a review of my progress for that particular day.

8. Heh, no. I have not completed any works. I always get wrapped up in something else and end up leaving things as WIP. Bad, I know. A bad habit that needs to be fixed!
Eh, I'll bite.

With great difficulty. Seriously, coming up with full names is really hard for me. With first names I usually just go with whatever the first thing to pop into my head is, but coming up with plausible last names is really difficult. I can't seem to think of anything that doesn't sound ridiculous or isn't really common. The only name to actually come easily to me is that of my RP character, Ian Ryder, and only because that's a pun on my username.

Not sure if this is a character someone else made or one I made, so I'll answer both. For someone else's character I can't really say for sure, but right now I'm leaning towards Brandon Sanderson's Hoid/Wit. I love enigmatic characters, and I've yet to see anyone more so than Hoid. Hoid has yet to actually feature in is own novel, rather, he puts in appearances in several of Sanderson's other books, as part of the hidden 'background plot' of the universe his books take place in. His level of involvement varies from book to book, but in all of them he's strange and mysterious and alludes to hidden secrets and I just want to know more.

As for characters I've written, my favourite is a tie between the duo of Vince and Eli. I can't say much about them, as they share the same story and I'm using Vince as my character for Blank Slate and I want to avoid spoilers (still hoping that comes back), but I'm really proud of the way these two interact and I'm definitely going to write more about them.

Good question. I'd say I've definitely been influenced by several well-known authors like the aforementioned Brandon Sanderson. I think that just about every author I've ever read and enjoyed has probably changed my writing in some way. I can also be thankful for friends and family for realizing I had a passion and nurturing it, as well as the creative writing club at school, small though it was, it has definitely helped my writing improve.

I honestly don't really know. It kind of changes all the time, I don't think it's very fixed. I do usually like to include some form of humour, although I know when something more serious is called for. I see lots of people my age writing dark, depressing stories, so I try to be a bit more lighthearted, to add some variety. Recently, though, I've been experimenting with darker themes and tones, and so far I'm enjoying it.

I suppose fantasy and sci-fi are my favourites. Like I said, recently I've been writing some darker stuff, though, and have even begun writing my own dystopian novel which I hope to get published one day. I don't really like writing fanfiction, as I don't trust myself to properly portray other people's characters. I'd like to try writing my own characters in another author's universe, though, and have some plans for something like that for Homestuck.

I don't understand the question. Do you mean do I use Iambic Pentameter or something? If so, I don't really have any specific rhythm I use when I write.

Not often enough. I've actually only very recently started writing again, thanks to joining the creative writing club at school. Essentially I write whenever the mood strikes me, but often I'm feeling too lazy to write anything, and that needs to stop. I'd love to participate in NaNoWriMo, but sadly that falls right on final exam time for me, making it difficult. I might do a late one in December or something.

Unless you count the few short stories, not recently. When I was in primary school I wrote several 'books' if you could call them that, about a superhero named Electronic who had control over electricity and the various villains he battled, a mysterious portal to a 'Second World' governed by a Land Spirit that suddenly appeared in the narrator's bedroom, and a reptilian alien called Final who was the last of his kind, and found his way to future-Earth and battles a mysterious being called Eraze. I never finished his story, but he was supposed to find out that he was one of the last surviving gods of the multiverse, but he had lost his memory due to a sudden attack by the evil gods, one of which was Eraze. Someday I'd like to revisit these stories in some form or another, but if I do so they're going to need heavy revision.

So yeah. If anyone feels like checking out the work I've posted here, I have a thread of stuff to read. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate it if you stopped by and gave me some feedback.
I may as well.

If I can, random syllables in my head (Kathira started as a Mary Sue way back when (I really hope she isn't any more!) and thus has a more 'normal' name ultimately based on mine--Narae is just as out-of-thin-air). If not, I think up as many keywords regarding character, abilities, and so on and put them through rot13. If that doesn't help, I run each word individually through Google Translate: usually greek or latin, but I have been known to dabble with Russian. Bear in mind that, when I do this, I always transliterate into our alphabet for later use. If I still don't like my choices terribly much, I'll put the transliterated translations through rot13: that usually gives me a big enough pool. Fun fact: Erine is Revar through rot13. If I STILL haven't got anything, Seventh Sanctum and Springhole have some marvelous random generators.

As in an already made character? If so, one of mine? I'll just put down some of my favourite general character traits, in lieu of anything concrete. I'm rather enamoured with the Knight in Sour Armour trope. As a result, Commander Vimes from Discworld is one of my favourite characters from other people. Coupled with my love of sarcasm...That said, I have a love for the Crazy Awesome as well-one of the reasons I love TF2-which leads to some wonderful situations that only get even better if the character who caused it either is or has an ally who is snarky. I believe plot should be character driven, everything happens for a reason, and the causes and effects can be very entertaining. I present exhibit A, though be careful as exhibit A is also known as Nibbles and tends to Bite people.

As far as my characters goes, there's a reason I don't write about her. Kathira Narae is the most evil, cruel, angry ball of fiery, violent wrath you've ever met, and one of my favourite things to do is imagine all sorts of new ways to kick dogs and cross ever more moral event horizons (though such a thing is technically impossible). It's an outlet.

I would say Discworld is one of the biggest, but most of my writing lies in worldbuilding. The biggest influence is TVTropes: I find tropes, and think about how they can be used in my writing, how I can play with them to keep them interesting despite being unoriginal. In addition, much of my constructed world involves pop-cultural definition based cosmic horrors, taking a few cues from Mass Effect's Reapers and many more cues from mythological beings and Abrahamic religious angels and demons.

I try to be dark, but at least mildly funny, with occasional veers into the absurd. I love black humour as much as sarcasm, but I'm something of a new writer. hat I have are ideas, I rarely know how to put them on paper beyond data file styles and thus tend to write by the seat of my trousers.

Fantasy involving sufficiently analysed magic, soft sci-fi, and whatever you'd class my stuff as. It tends to be a hodgepodge, especially where my constructed world is concerned: background magic fields mean that one continent is advanced enough to start getting space stations up and running and has most of it's stuff happen on the streets, while another is is medieval stasis except for magitek that ends up looking more advanced than the science and tends to have country-spanning quests.

Take your poetry and shove it.

Rarely, all I do are worldbuilding data files and Turquoise.

Not yet.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
I should probably answer my own questions, aha.
How do you determine your character's names?
They're usually symbolic of something prominent in their character, or even just their concept in general. A while back, when I still wrote high fantasy, I had a character who was the son of an ice god. I named him Blake. Not only does Blake sound like "flake," further tying him into the whole ice power concept, but the name means "black," which outlined his rebellion against his father. Meanwhile, my current NaNoWriMo novel's protagonist is named Vega, since he's an intelligent male who lives in space. Good enough, right?

Describe your favourite character.
I love, love, love Dirk Strider. He's a character from Homestuck, as at least a few of you doubtlessly know, and he's just the best. Not only is he completely badass, but like the rest of the characters in Homestuck, he's not an archetypical character. He has a lot of problems, as well as lots of strengths, and he's every bit as realistic as an actual person. To be honest, most of the Homestuck characters are like that (I consider Homestuck something of a masterpiece, which may sound exaggerated, but the foreshadowing, character building, and complex plot are just beautiful), but I like Dirk the most because I can relate to him the most. Oh, also, he's gay. So there's that.

Who are your influences?
My influences vary; my writing is typically heavily reminiscent of whatever it is I'm reading at the moment. Of course, works that have affected me heavily in one way or another in the past also have a profound effect on my writing. Presently, my writing has a lot of fantasy elements despite it being a heavy science-fiction, and of course it has a hussnasty feel to it. In terms of authors, my writing is akin to Brandon Sanderson's, Christopher Paolini's, and Andrew Hussie's.

Describe your writing style.
Well, in the first draft, it usually ends up sounding a lot like old British literature. I have an awful tendency to be extremely wordy, and I'm rarely able to completely patch that no matter what I do. When everything is said and done, my writing normally contains a lot of complex ideas (which may or may not be easy to understand based on how I describe them in the writing), and is fairly dark. I rarely include humour in my writing, though occasionally I do have projects based solely around it.

What genre do you typically write?
Before, I wrote fantasy almost exclusively. However, as you might assume, I've grown tired of it. I'm now a more avid writer of science-fiction, or... something else, which doesn't really have a genre.

What sort of rhythm or meter do you use?
My poetry is very structured and rhythmic, with a rigid rhyming scheme. Unfortunately, that's occasionally at the cost of quality.

How often do you write?
At the moment, I write about two-thousand words a day. In any other month of the year, writing is relatively seldom; I might write ten thousand words in a month or two.

Do you have any completed works?
I finished a relatively lengthy draft, although it's so awful I don't think it's really worth mentioning. It's by no means entirely complete, but it's the closest I've ever come.
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
1) I typically draw inspiration for names from real life, such as my friends, or just random people that I meet.
2) In my books so far, my favorite character is Bobby.  He's pretty much just fun comedy relief.  (And yes, he is my friend in real life.  He's not as crazy as in the books, but he's pretty close.)
3) I would have to say pretty much any book that I read, in addition to the obvious source of Nintendo and Game Freak.  Other than that, it's purely my imagination.
4) I usually stay fairly true to the source material, Pokémon Games.  I tend to write very descriptively.
5) Fan-Fiction.  I have tried plain old fiction straight from my imagination and dreams multiple times, but I always ran out of inspiration and hit writers block even before the end of the first chapter. (Argh! Stupid writer's block.)
6) N/A, I focus on the story more than the way I convey it.
7) Fairly often. (That is, until I get writers block again.  Then I take a break until I figure out what to write.)
8) No, not yet.
Extra) How can I find your books?  That's easy, all of the links are in my signature.  Although I have the nagging suspicion that only the "Wally PKMN: Kanto" link works... I'm working on it.

Edit: Yeah, I think none of them will work. I'll let you know if I can get them to work.

Edit2:Okay, I think the links in my signature will work now, even if they're being displayed weirdly.

Admin Note: I've merged your posts, Wally. Please try to edit your firsts prior to double or triple posting. If you are having trouble with your signature, feel free to post in the suggestions and help forum. Thanks!

-Chron

OOC: Will do.

-Wally
I am a fan-fiction author!
My books:
They're not finished yet, but I'm working on it.

Also: ¿Workwa yut bárto ladut qasa? Yut nobo'nasobut woka ayi'ud desasud.