Daily Pokémon Discussions
It looks drunk. I encountered a group of those in XY. I thought they must be on their way home from the pub :)
Today (and tomorrow, since it's night-time already) we have...

[Image: pidgeot.gif]

Pidgeot! It took me the longest time to figure out that Pidgeot is the last stage, since its name is the shortened version of the previous stage! It is still sort of strange to me. I don't have much of an opinion on this one except Falkner's was weak, whether it was his daddy's precious polly or not.
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
I love that thing. @_@ Such a graceful-looking bird and has proven surprisingly useful in battle with Tailwind and U-Turn. It was always something I used in the older games and I recently transferred the EV-trained one from my HG playthrough to Y. Its colors are simple, yet effective. A design that looks realistic, but is balanced out by a colorful crest. Pigeot is an awesome classic, even if it looks a bit too much like Pidgeotto.
They made it look a little better now. In gen IV the bird look so fat I wondered if it could even fly. Anyway, I think it's a cool Pokemon. I like the feathers on its head. I haven't used it much in battle though.

A long time ago, like when I started playing Pokemon, I drew mechanic Pokemon; I drew a metallic version of Pidgeot, or maybe it was the previous stage.
I used to be OBSESSED with Pidgeot when I first starting playing Pokémon. I thought it was the most majestic Pokémon out there. However, when I started playing competitively, I realized that Bird Pokémon generally suck... especially Noctowl.

I think Pidgeot and Swellow are the most well-designed Bird Pokémon, hands down. I'm not a fan of Noctowl, clearly, nor am I fan of Staraptor or Fearow. I have never used a Talonflame, so I don't have much of an opinion on that. Umfezant confuses me, but I think I like it more than I dislike it. If we're going to consider Pelipper as part of this grouping, I don't like that one much either.
I hate pelipper. It's one of the ugliest Pokemon ever. Especially how its feathers look like thin fingers. Pidgeot and Talonflame have the best designs I think.
Pelipper is also the most annoying Pokémon ever, second only to Tentacool. You can't go very far in RSE without finding a Wingull or Pelipper, and sometimes they don't let you leave.
Kyurem today!

[Image: kyurem.gif]

Kyurem is a very interesting Pokémon, I think, and I'm always speculating over it. I always wonder what it looked like when it was in its complete forme! I think it's really cool-looking, and I quite enjoyed what I saw of its movie. Competitively, I don't know much about it, but I do know that two of its signature moves, Ice Burn and Freeze Shock, are way lame.
Kyurem! Now he's an interesting fellow. As a post-game Legendary, I don't have any in-game experience with using it, but I can comment on it competitively, lore-wise, and in spin-offs.

In competitive, Kyurem is currently in XY RU- what's that? It got banned to UU? Yes it did, and the ban was incredibly justified. Kyurem's STABs of Ice and Dragon make it an offensive monster, devastating most Pokemon with a mighty Ice Beam/Blizzard and Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor combo. It can even run extensive coverage, with Earth Power, Iron Head, and Focus Blast rounding out its offensive options. However, its best sets aren't even really solely offensive. Kyurem's SubRoost set makes it terribly hard to kill, and it can easily wear down your walls and stall out your offensive Pokemon, then sweep through your battered team. It's powerful, it's bulky, and it's a monster in lower tiers.

Which brings up the question, why is it in lower tiers? Its comrades, Reshiram and Zekrom, are currently chilling (huehuehue) in Ubers, so why isn't Kyurem with them? Well, I'm going to coin a term called "Kyurem syndrome", which means that the Pokemon is made intentionally disproportionate to its counterparts so it can be improved in the sequel (another sufferer of Kyurem syndrome is Zygarde).
Lore-wise, however, Kyurem being weaker makes a lot of sense. Kyurem is actually the broken body of the original dragon of Unova, with Reshiram and Zekrom being the two parts of the dragon's turmoiling soul. Kyurem's design fits this to a T - at a first glance, Kyurem's appearance gives room for disappointment, leaving most with a "That's it?".

But Kyurem, despite its frozen chicken body, can be plenty scary outside of lower-tier competitive. In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, Kyurem is the main antagonist, who allows the world to be consumed by the Bittercold, wanting to start the world over new. However, he isn't a JRPG protagonist, wanting to destroy the world to remake it in his own image or "just because", he wants to destroy the world because the world is genuinely shit. But even he's having doubts about ending the world, because he aids the player with support in their battle against the Bittercold, wanting to see the player's resolve. He's a villain who goes with the flow, and doesn't care about what happens to the world, after being so disillusioned. And that's pretty damn believable, as far as villains go.

*breaths*

So those are my thoughts on Kyurem. What are the rest of yours?
Kyurem's a pretty cool guy, pun completely intended. Never used it myself due to its postgameness, though. Personally I think Kyurem is a lot better than people give it credit for, and I'd like to try it out on a competitive team someday, similar to my team with Zygarde. I have to agree with Majora, Kyurem really does make me curious as to what it looked like when complete, but at this stage I suppose we'll never know, unless Black and White 3 are hidden somewhere up Gamefreak's sleeves. One major issue I have with Kyurem is that it has three signature moves and they all suck. There's a lot of wasted potential there. And to finally round out my rambling, the Kyurem movie really annoyed me because THAT'S NOT HOW ITS FORME CHANGES WORK. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, Kyrem can switch formes at will, not even requiring Reshiram or Zekrom to be present, which completely defies the purpose of its formes.
(04-20-2014, 02:46 PM)Majora Wrote: Kyurem today!

[Image: kyurem.gif]

Kyurem is a very interesting Pokémon, I think, and I'm always speculating over it. I always wonder what it looked like when it was in its complete forme! I think it's really cool-looking, and I quite enjoyed what I saw of its movie. Competitively, I don't know much about it, but I do know that two of its signature moves, Ice Burn and Freeze Shock, are way lame.

I may be 5 days late, but yay, it's me!

Competitively, Kyurem-Normal is terrible. Kyurem-Black is good because it has some monster Attack, and it counters a lot of the metagame, but it lacks a physical Ice move, and has a crippling weakness to Stealth Rock. Kyurem-White is better because Blizzard.
Hey, it's been a while, hasn't it? Today, let's do...

[Image: corsola.gif]

Corsola! Corsola is a total cutie. It probably sucks competitively, but I don't really care, because it's adorable.
I remember the first picture I saw of this Pokemon, in a magazine called Pojo. They had forgotten to draw its face, so it looked very strange. I wondered what it was then.
Personally? Ugly and useless. Move on.

(Seriously, those are my thoughts on Corsola)

I'd rather talk about the last mon, Kyurem! My favourite parts of the games has always been storyline and lore, and Kyurem really achieved that for me with Gen V. He's the empty broken shell of what he once was, and I'd like to see him whole...and see what stats he had at that point. Was he as powerful as Arceus...?

It also ties really nicely into the protagonists of the Gen V games. Each version timeline has the first protagonist gain one of Reshiram/Zekrom while N gets the other. Come the second game, N surrenders his legend to the protagonist, which implies to me that N wasn't actually that legend's chosen hero. In fact, with N's upbringing and characterization, he's much more of an empty shell than the PCs, and I think that makes N the hero to control Kyurem, while the PCs of the games are the heroes for the other legends.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
My strongest memory of Corsola was an anime episode which made me think it was invincible. Misty was using hers in some battle or another and it just kept spamming recover. Now if only Corsola were that useful ingame.
Corsola is super cute. That happy face, the mix of white and pink. Just cute.

Sadly, that's all it has going for it, really. Stat-wise, it has... good defenses I guess. Its Attack stats and HP are awful, and its speed is non-existent. If you're going to use it in a battle for whatever reason, your best bet is pumping EVs into its defenses, and give it a moveset to help the rest of your team. Regenerator to help its piddling HP. Moves like Reflect, Light Screen, Rain Dance or Sandstorm, maybe Recover, Confuse Ray, or if it can survive at low HP long enough, Endeavor could be good.
If for some crazy reason you want to attack with it, Corsola has a decent array of attacks. Scald/Surf and Stone Edge for STAB, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Earth Power and Ice Beam.

Sadly, this super cutie is super useless in battle. Regardless, it's still a favorite water type of mine. :3
New week day, new Pokémon!

[Image: sliggoo.gif]

Today we have Sliggoo. I actually really, really like this Pokémon's design and really the design of the line in general, although I am upset it's not a Poison-type. Sliggoo is just so cute! And so are Goomy and Goodra. I just really like this Pokémon, pretty much, and I can imagine it's pretty good competitively, too!
I find the line interesting, compared to other pseudo-legendaries. I also find Goomy and Goodra utterly adorable, but Sliggoo? I dunno, it's just...not as cute as the rest of it's line.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Yeah, Sliggoo is the least cute. Also, I agree that it should've been either Dragon/Water or Dragon/Poison. I feel like Goomy and Sliggoo should've been Dragon/Poison and then Goodra should've been Dragon/Water (due to the rain thing which I feel is kind of random/weird yet cool at the same time). Dragon/Water makes much more sense to me than Dragon/Poison though. I still love this evolutionary line, Sliggoo being my least favourite.
New day, new Pokémon.

[Image: audino.gif]

God, I really hate Audino. Its design is really weird, it's useless in-game, and it always fakes me out. I think I'm going to get something cool in the shaking grass, like an Emolga or a Tyranitar, but nope, stupid Audino comes to ruin the day. As usual. I also tried using it in battle once and used Heal Pulse, thinking it would heal itself, and it healed the enemy. I will never make that mistake again.