Daily Pokémon Discussions
New day, new Pokémon.

[Image: ampharos.gif]

Today we have Ampharos! Ampharos is my favourite Pokémon, although I'm not sure why. It's just generally pretty cool. While it's not very sheep-esque, it's still a pretty interesting concept; it somewhat resembles a sheared sheep, but even more prominent is its resemblance to a lighthouse. I also found its relationship with the science-fiction novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? pretty interesting.

I've not ever used Ampharos in-game, although its access to Signal Beam and Dragon Pulse makes it a pretty interesting Pokémon to use overall, I would think! Its Mega is also amazing, and anyone that thinks different needs to be... marginalised. >:{
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
Well, I cheated an Ampharos into my White game, and it was my favorite. It just overall is awesome. I usually am the speed and attack kinda person, and I particularly like infernape and ampharos. His mega is pretty amazing, because it legit looks like how I would picture God, put Pokémon form.
I am automaticEggnog and 1 D0N'T QU1T3 L1K3 ANYB0DY
Ah, I have one in my Y team! And I've used it countless times in my Johto journeys back in the Olden Times of Gameboy Color. It was awesome in all respects though, especially in modern times. I was always excited when my Flaaffy turned into an awesome Ampharos. And now I've been more excited to press the Mega Evolve button on this guy. Its Mega is five times more awesome and that hair is fabulous. I love how it resembles more of a sheep dragon now instead of just being disturbingly bald. (Hey, I like floofs! And you take that away it makes the frowny faced Lett. >:)
Ampharos is one of, if not, my favorite Johto pokemon. I have especially found memories of using him in Crystal but I'm always happy when a see a Mareep or Flaafy in a game. I'm not really big on Mega-evolution but I do like Mega Ampharos both appearence-wise (Dat hair) and competitively. Funnily enough in my younger days I never really put much thought into the disconnect between Mareepy/Flaafy and Ampharos, not really sure why.
Ampharos <3 I've been a fan since second gen, though I never really used one until later games, or replaythroughs. I was even lucky enough to get a shiny Mareep which became a permanent member of my X team :3 They have some nice bulk, but I wish they had a little more power and a wider movepool.
Ampharos is a neat Pokemon - a sheep that's also a dragon, apparently. I've used one in Soul Silver a while back, and it served me pretty well.

As for competitive, Ampharos used to be pretty mediocre until it pulled a Mega Evolution. Mega Amphy is now a god in Trick Room, using its sky-high Sp. Attack and low Speed, as well as its great STABs and nice defensive typing to shred opponents in UU. It's not the best Mega in UU, but it's definitely someone to watch out for.
New day, new Pokémon.

[Image: wobbuffet.gif]

Today we have Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet is truly a strange Pokémon; Game Freak has done its best to reveal as little about it as possible, kind of leaving us at a loss. I saw a comic strip, once, that suggested that it can effectively transform into anything, but has to keep its tail. I thought that was a pretty cool take on it!

It's a lot like a living punching-bag, in ways; it's a Patient Pokémon, and its moves suggest that this is really what it is. I actually just thought of that as I looked at it, but even its role as a Pokémon in Super Smash Bros. Brawl suggests that this might be what it is! According to Bulbapedia, that's its origin indeed, it seems.

Its Japanese name is pretty noteworthy; using both its name and the name of its pre-evolution, a potential conversation could unfold going: "Really?"
"That's the way it is."
There is a similar monster in The Legend of Zelda. If you hit it, it will inflict a lot of damage on you. It is kind of invulnerable.

I think this Pokemon is funny, especially when the Rocket gang gets into trouble and it says "sounansu!", "that's the way it is!" as a comment to one of their complaints.
Ooh, Wobbuffet. Wobbuffet is a Pokemon that's near impossible to use in-game without a lot of patience, but is pretty godly in competitive. Being able to take out an opponent with a near guarentee is pretty awesome!
I've never used Wobbuffet, and doubting that I ever will, but facing it is a trying challenge in whatever situation you face it. In that regard, I respect it.
New day, new Pokémon.

[Image: galvantula.gif]

And today we have Galvantula. Galvantula is by far my favourite Bug-type, just because... it's cool. I mean, an electric spider is pretty awesome, if you ask me; I don't actually like spiders at all, but I think they really captured the look of one with Galvantula better than any of the other spider Pokémon. I also like that it evolves from a tick instead of a baby spider or something; I kind of have a soft spot for those weird evolutions.

I can't talk about it competitively, because I've never used it, nor have I seen it used.

Overall, I think Galvantula is a pretty cool Pokémon! It needs more love.
I actually have nothing to say besides it looks cool, and it would be cool to have in real life.
I am automaticEggnog and 1 D0N'T QU1T3 L1K3 ANYB0DY
Aw yeah, Galvantula. Galvantula is definitely one of the coolest Pokemon to come out of Gen V, partly because of its unique type, partly because it's a genuine tarantula, and partly because electric spiders are awesome. It also helps that its prevo is one of the cutest things ever.

For competitive viabilty, Galvantula used to be just a mediocre special attacker, but thanks to XY, it now has a new niche. Being one of the few viable Pokemon with Sticky Web (alongside Smeargle and Shuckle*) as well as that still-good almost perfectly accurate Thunder makes Galvantula great for supporting the team and beating opposing hazard clearers. Unfortunately, it's incredibly frail, so most matches it will set up Sticky Web and little else.

As for personal experience, I used a Galvantula as my starter in White 2. I'd already used Tepig in Black, Oshawott in White, and Snivy in Black 2, so Joltik became the team leader in White 2 upon being traded. It's pretty fantastic in-game if you pull a Compoundeyes one. Access to Thunder, Bug Buzz, Energy Ball, and more makes Galvantula a very cool bug indeed.
Been a while since anybody did this, but why not have another? Let's say today's pokémon is...

[Image: shedinja.gif]

Shedinja! A pokémon you can obtain in this very RP if you so desire.

I'll admit that I've always wanted to make a team with shedinja work. That wonder guard is just so tempting, whether on shedinja itself or passed off to something like sableye (not that that even works anymore, thx fairy type). I've never found a way to make it solid, but some day man, some day, I'll be trolling the ladder with my obnoxious invincible shedinja team.

Plus it's cool flavor-wise, what with that whole "steals your soul if you look in the back" thing and the fact that you really have no choice to stare at the back of it if you're going to use it on your team...
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
I love Shedinja. It is definitely my favorite gimmick Pokemon out there. Bug/Ghost is an interesting typing (though it is a terrible choice for a Wonder Guard user, unfortunately), and I've always found his evolution concept to be one of the most interesting in the game.

I used one in Pokemon X, and it was actually fairly useful for a while. I remember one battle with an NPC where the trainer actually switched out his Pokemon after finding that all four moves failed to hit Shedinja. If only it had more speed and attack/special attack, then it would have made an interesting sweeper.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

aaarrgh man why is Tumblr so impossible to find stuff on, I wanted to post those XY battle videos I saw containing a) epic shedinja win and b) hilarious shedinja fail, both involving swapping wonder guard out for sturdy, but I can't find them and I'm too lazy to search for them anywhere else. Bluh.

Amusing battle videos aside, though, shedinja's definitely a cool concept. I've never been all that interested in using one myself, but I do like to amuse myself with the headcanon that they're actually the ghosts of dead nincada who never got to evolve, and in a fit of jealousy they steal the cast-off skin of a new ninjask first chance they get.
[Image: sig.gif]
Shedinja is... something else. Its name confuses me, because it's not really a ninja, but whatever. I agree that it is the most useful of the gimmick Pokémon, and I think it looks really cool! It's one of the best Pokémon design-wise, says I. I've never used one since Skill Swap can't be used on Pokémon with Wonder Guard (on Showdown!), but my views on that are basically Negrek's.
Quote:I wanted to post those XY battle videos I saw containing a) epic shedinja win and b) hilarious shedinja fail,

I saw the fail one, and I was pretty ticked about it. It was NOT funny enough to justify the amount of time I spent watching the video.

Anyway.

New day, new pokemon! Today we have a real classic:

[Image: charmeleon.gif]

I'm a huge fan of the charmander line; all their designs are pretty great IMO. I don't actually prefer charmeleon to charizard, but it's still a cool pokemon and a lot of fun to play with.

Plus Ash's charmeleon was hilarious and awesome, search your heart, you know it to be true.
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
I never really kept up with the anime as a child, I only really watched the occasional episode. Granted the stations here were really bad at keeping the series on, but either way I can't really say much about Charmeleon anime-wise. Game-wise I've played through FireRed with all three Kanto starters at different times, and while I think they are roughly equal, Charmeleon does have a few things going for it over Ivysaur and Wartortle. For a start it gets Flamethrower at Level 34, I think, which is a nice, high-powered move to have. To be fair, Wartortle gets Surf, but Ivysaur can only look on and weep as it tries to make do with the measly Razor Leaf.

Design-wise I don't have much of an opinion either, I don't pay much attention to the middle stages, plus being one of the original 151 it's hard to look at Charmeleon objectively. It's a fairly basic design, bipedal reddish lizard with fire on its tail, but that works for it. Charmeleon will probably continue to be a fan favourite if only by its association with Charizard for as long as Pokemon fans exist.
I never actually liked Charmeleon, for some reason. All the starter middle stages are kind of... awkward (Pignite, Quilladin, Grotle, Prinplup, and Marshtomp are all pretty weird). I never used it much! Its shiny forme is kind of weird. It does have a very natural (if not strange) appearance, though! It looks a lot less like a weird splice than a lot of Pokémon do; I'm just a bit confused about the weird thing on the back of its head.
New day, new Pokémon!

[Image: spinda.gif]

Today we have Spinda! Ah, the failed panda Pokémon. It's certainly... something else, I'm not sure if anyone ever used it. I do love its design, though, I think it's super cute! It doesn't really look like a panda, but it's still cute.