Daily Pokémon Discussions
Oh man. Sigilyph was a beast in competitive RU last gen. Its Cosmic Power set was easily a force to be reckoned with if all opposing Dark-types had been defeated. I've gotten many a sweeps from using it. Of course, it won't work all of the time - it's got to be used at just the right opportunity.

After using Sigilyph, it became my favorite Psychic-type! Go figure.
That was a great discussion, actually! Today's a new day, though, so we get a new Pokémon. And the Pokémon of the day is...

[Image: clawitzer.gif]

Clawitzer! This is a pretty interesting Pokémon, and its Ability Mega Launcher gives it a huge edge, especially since it learns Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, and Dark Pulse! Its Special Attack stat also makes sure that it can get by even if its Ability is disabled! What do you guys think about it?
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
Ah, Clawitzer. When Clauncher was revealed to be exclusive to X, many former Y supporters turned coat, because a pistol shrimp is pretty awesome. Clawitzer takes the pistol shrimp concept and goes to 11 with it - even Clawitzer's name is over the top, as it's based on the Howitzer, an incredibly powerful artillery weapon.

Clawitzer itself is nothing to scoff at. A base 120 Sp. Attack means that anything that doesn't resist Clawitzer's attacks are going to be hit HARD, especially if their Sp. Defense isn't high. Clawitzer's ability, Mega Launcher, amplifies this power even further - Water Pulse is turned into a Surf with a 30% confusion chance, and it essentially gets STAB on Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, and Aura Sphere.

I have yet to use Clawitzer, but I want to do so soon - a Pokemon of this caliber is certainly no shrimp when it comes to battling.
I really like the idea of Clawitzer. Sadly never used one myself, seeing as I chose Y and can't afford to buy both games like some people. It seems like it'd be a great addition to any ingame team, plus there's the fact that it looks like Zoidberg. There's so many Pokemon that I'd like to use but don't have the time or games to do so.
New day, new Pokémon. Today we have...

[Image: blissey.gif]

Blissey! This sucker is a real tank, with the best HP anywhere in the game. While Chansey might beat it in terms of usefulness (while it holds an Eviolite), Chansey is still a very viable choice for a wall or healer in any team. With Wish, Aromatherapy, Healing Wish, and various ailment-moves, Blissey is basically a brick. Although some Pokémon were introduced in Generation V that it just can't seem to handle, Blissey is still a very viable team member. Plus, it's adorable!
Well, that last post was a bomb. Here's a new Pokémon.

[Image: mantine.gif]

Mantine! Mantine honestly doesn't belong in the tier that it's in; with only two weaknesses, a ton of resistances, and rad abilities, it's beyond me why Mantine isn't at least in UnderUsed. Its moveset is fairly diverse (although Psybeam, Signal Beam, and Bullet Seed are probably never used with Mantine, unfortunately), but even just its STAB Air Slash and Surf, combined with Agility and possibly Rain Dance, makes it a great Special Fast sweeper. It's also a great Rain sweeper. Even if it is in a lower tier, I think Mantine is the king of NU.

And its design is amazing! Most people don't realise how large Mantine is; it's over six feet, nearly seven, and weighs close to five-hundred pounds. What's more, it flies. I mean... that's pretty rad. A flying manta ray; it doesn't really get much better than that.
Mantine's an interesting Pokemon. It was designed to be the Special counter-part to Skarmory, but to be honest, it falls flat in every way. Skarmory resisted or was neutral to every single physical type pre-physical/special split, and it got tons of helpful status moves to cripple foes. Whirlwind, Spikes, Taunt, Curse, Toxic, Protect, Roost, Stealth Rock, Skarmory does it all. Even better, it got great attacking options like Drill Peck.
However, in comparison, Mantine is pretty underwhelming. Pretty much everything on that top list for Skarmory? Save Toxic and Protect, Mantine doesn't have it. Or anything like it. It can try a RestTalk set, but good luck not being outclassed by... everything. As for typing, while Skarmory's typing is literally the best it could possibly be, Mantine's makes things far far worse. Mantine's type means that the only special types that it resisted were Fire and Water. Even worse, Water/Flying makes Mantine incredibly vulnerable to Electric. If Mantine was... say, a Dragon-type, I'd have a much easier time believing it being a Special Skarmory.

But on the plus side for Mantine, it's got an interesting design, nice connection to the Remoraid line, and a cute-looking prevo. It's a shame that it isn't any good in competitive, because manta rays are pretty awesome. Oh well.
New day, new Pokémon!

[Image: mightyena.gif]

Today, we've got Mightyena. It's basically a given that Mightyena is worthless in the metagame, with pretty sad stats, a virtually monochrome moveset, and unremarkable abilities. This was basically expected of it, being an easily obtainable Pokémon and all, which tend to be especially weak. Your best bet for Mightyena? Keep it out of your team past the second badge.
now son I know you ain't trashin' one of my favorite pokémon like that

Nah, it's not very strong or diverse. :p Even I can admit that. Still, I kind of wonder why these discussions are so centered on competitiveness and "usability". Why don't more people talk about whether or not they like the design, or things they might've come to appreciate after seeing it featured in a side/spin-off game or the anime or one of the manga or even in a fanfic? I don't mind a good conversation about battling (even though I personally have pretty much lost all interest in competitive play), but there's so much more to discuss about these guys than just "it should've/shouldn't've been in RU" or "not even good on an ingame team". (The latter of which, by the way, is a pretty silly thing to say! Any pokémon can be perfectly acceptable and usable in a more casual environment; maybe it won't be as easy as running around with a team full of pokémon with better stats, but certainly not impossible or even necessarily tedious. I've taken things like mightyena and raticate all the way through to the endgame and enjoyed every moment of it. With AI as underwhelming as the canon games' there's no reason not to just use what you like, stats be damned.)

Mightyena's a little generic-looking as dark-type concepts go, and yeah, it's no weavile or anything, but I've still got a soft spot for it because I really dig hyenas.
[Image: sig.gif]
(02-21-2014, 12:41 PM)Phoenixsong Wrote: ...long post...
I do try to talk about designs whenever I can! Although in my opinion, Mightyena looks... like a wolf, and not as much of a hyena. Which is disappointing, because hyenas are awesome and they could have done so much better. In any case, I'd find using Mighteyna in the game, stats or not, somewhat troublesome, because its moveset is basically a grabbag of Dark and Normal (with Sand-Attack, but that might as well be Normal).

The problem with talking about designs is, at the end of the day, it's really just a picture; even if the concept is extremely interesting, that's basically all you can say and then the conversation is over. (Also I don't read fanfics or watch the anime or manga, hahah.) So I try to talk about both; I'm just a nerdy freak and end up talking about one more than the other.
Ah Mightyena. Born into a generation where its own STAB hated it. Dark being special in Gen 3 really hurt Mightyena, and Gen 3 is the only Gen I've even briefly used Mightyena in. I will always remember the time one tanked a Selfdestruct in a Nuzlokcke, though.

Design-wise, I had no idea Mightyena was inspired by hyena until I saw something Phoenixsong said, I forget where. While I'm sure there is a real-world Hyena that looks similar to Mightyena out there somewhere, most people probably don't know about it and if Pokemon wanted to design a Hyena-based Pokemon they could have done better than Mightyena. Not than Mightyena's design is bad, though, it just doesn't really look like what it's apparently based on. Personally I like the design, but I'm a sucker for Dark-types so that might play into it.
Well, that wasn't really directed at just you! Other people can add their own points to the discussion if they have something to say about a pokémon in any other media; it's just that very few people in this discussion seem to have done so thus far.

And what's so limiting about discussing the design? People can discuss what they like or don't like about any other kind of art or concept just fine; true, the discussion here wouldn't be so much about the technical execution (although I sure hope one of these days Sugimori will learn to make quadruped legs and feet look less stiff, erk), and mightyena's design is fairly simple, but I don't see why pointing out the things people feel make or break a design for them wouldn't be contributing much to the discussion. As it stands, people are just kinda saying their piece about whether they think a pokémon is usable or not, and aside from one or two personal experiences with the pokémon in question (which I'd also like to see more of!); I'd like to encourage not only more people getting in on the discussions in general, but feeling like they can go back and forth about any aspect of the pokémon they like, even if only for a little while.

(I know you weren't actively discouraging design discussion, but yeah, I wouldn't just dismiss any potential conversation points offhand.)

Mightyena is very wolf-like, yes, but the thing is I don't think that's necessarily a design failure—it has a build, ear shape and mane like a striped hyena, but its behavior and coat color/pattern are more lupine (and also they called the basic stage "pooch"yena, which couldn't really refer to a hyena since they aren't canines). I call it a hyena because I think they're more interesting than wolves, but it's honestly kind of rare to see a pokémon concept that is exactly one thing and one thing only.

And yeah, special dark in Gen III was a bit of a struggle to deal with for... almost everything, really, haha. Most dark-types actually lean toward physical, although at least some, like sharpedo and cacturne, were at least competent specially. You could kind of mitigate it a little by teaching some of them shadow ball (oh maaaaan pre-split moves, oh man); it wouldn't be STAB, but as the coverage was nearly identical it could help a little bit.
Mightyena is a cool, cool Pokemon, and I share Phoenixsong's appreciation of it. Because hyenas are way cool.

For personal experiences, I used a Mightyena on my Emerald team a few years back, and it was pretty cool (of course, that was when I was terrible at Pokemon and used stuff like Shadow Ball and Rock Smash on it). Excellent design, with great black/white contrast, and an adorable prevo which makes both very indicative of the Dark-type. One of the coolest Dark-types of all, really. If only it was more useful in competitive, I might use it more.
Hee. One of my NPC's has a mightyena (...once I actually get far enough in to introduce some NPC's), and she'll mess you up pretty hard if you start talking trash. :D She's actually the best.

For my own part I have to admit I'm pretty neutral on mightyena. I prefer linoone as my early-route buddy in the Gen 3 games (have you noticed my love of free stuff yet?), and mightyena's never really stood out to me as a pokemon. I did manage to catch a shiny one on Emerald, though, and I quite like the golden color scheme on the shiny form. My shiny mightyena's seen a fair amount of use because I like to tool around my games showing off my bling to oblivious ingame trainers, but that's pretty much all the experience I've had with one outside of writing.
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
New day, new Pokémon.

[Image: drowzee.gif]

Today we have Drowzee. Since I think we all know Drowzee's worth in the meta-game, I'm going to skip over that. Drowzee is actually one of my favourite designs in Pokémon. It's based, if you didn't know, on a Japanese legend that tapirs eat the bad dreams of sleeping people. Originally this was a composite animal, but it ended up becoming a tapir! Which is cool. They did a really good job turning a tapir into a Pokémon, and I love the generally creepy feel to it (which is apt on a dream-eating Pokémon). It also has a really cool Shiny. When I played Snore War on Pokémon Stadium a while back, Drowzee really freaked me out; I guess it still does, which is why I like it!
Drowzee is... something. Unique design, but... I dunno, it's not too appealing to me. That's probably why I've never used it. Dunno if I ever will.

Really not much to say about Drowzee. I prefer Munna.
I was never all that interested in drowzee or hypno (though hypno gets creepy points for the whole stealing children theme and that awesome 151 shirt design I cba to link to right now), but someone gave me a drowzee as a gift in an ASB I used to frequent and it actually turned out to be a lot of fun to use. Granted, most of that's probably due to Gen I psychics in general being hilarious and borderline-OP in most ASB formats rather than anything specifically to do with drowzee, but it's grown on me since then.

The only other thing that comes to mind when I think of drowzee is that I always used to insist to my friends that the one in this card was flipping the viewer off.

[Image: SabrinaDrowzeeGymHeroes92.jpg]

Eh... not quite, but I was like nine at the time and had probably never actually seen anyone give anyone else the finger, so what did I know?
Drowzee? I've never really thought of it much to be honest. It's just another Pokemon I'm neutral about. Although its weird Stadium nose animation is... well, it's funny. :3 Also, it evolves into the memetic molester that is Hypno. So I guess it's a little molestyman in training. Especially if PMD2 is anything to go by.
I'm quite fond of drowzee, really. I took one (well, it evolved) all the way to the Elite Four. It got kicked off the team as soon as I caught Mewtwo, though.

That meant I spent a long time staring at hypno's back sprite, which for some reason my brain didn't parse correctly, so I thought hypno's arm and pendulum thing were a part of its face and it was some sort of dragon creature with a gaping mouth. Sort of difficult to reconcile with its front sprite, but I had trouble interpreting a *lot* of the back sprites. And dream eater is still one of the nastiest, cool attacks ever, if utterly impossible to pull off outside of ingame battles. Plus, I like drowzee and hypno's cries--pretty cool for R/B pokemon.
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
I think it's one of those Pokemon that looked cool in the first games [Image: Spr_1g_096.png] but I'm not sure it's impressive any more. My friend and I used to call it the "dick-face".