[NEW 09/13/17] Maintenance Announcements
UPDATE: The move is complete! Welcome to the new server!

There were a few hiccups along the way, but the server move is now complete and Turquoise is nice and cozy in its new home. While the site was locked down I also upgraded the forum software and made a few other small adjustments. Everything is pretty minor and behind the scenes for now, but as stated earlier this'll give us a lot more room to expand and add interesting features down the road.

The wiki has not been moved yet; there were additional complications with that and I'm still trying to work through them as quickly as I can. It's still accessible as normal for now, but just remember that it may disappear or behave strangely for a little while over the next day or so while everything is sorted out.

If you have any questions or if you think any new problems may have sprung up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread or PM me about it. In particular I don't know whether the thread subscription email issue has been fixed by the forum update, largely because I still have no idea why it's happening and why it only seems to affect certain people. I'm hoping that one of the new features I plan on adding soon will help give people a way around this bizarre little issue should it still be happening.

Have fun, everybody, and stay tuned—the Nightmare Festival wrap-up is on its way, and we're making more progress toward the first wave of Gen VI implementation. Good things are coming down the pipeline!

---

This news bulletin is also posted as a forum-wide announcement; I just want to be sure it's as visible as possible!

---

Hello again, Pokémon Turquoise! In the interest of giving the forums more room to grow, the forums are going to be moving to a new server very soon. The new server has more space and will give us a little more room to make some interesting changes and additions to the forum's features, as well as ensuring we have plenty of space for many more members and adventures to come.

I don't have an exact date for the move because a lot of other things are moving along with the forum, but it will be within the next few days—no later than this Friday evening, the 22nd. I suppose there's a possibility that it may happen later, but ideally everything will be ready by that time. As with any server move there may be hiccups with the domain that cause the site to remain inaccessible, or at least inaccessible at its usual address, for anywhere from a few minutes to a day or two. After the move the site may be accessible at the alternate address http://tqforum.kphoenix.webfactional.com (not currently live); if you've been trying to get to pokemonturquoise.com after the scheduled moving time and it hasn't propagated yet, try the alternate address and see if you can log in temporarily there. And, of course, the database and everything will be backed up before the move goes down, so all of your progress and conversations will be perfectly safe.

The site will go into maintenance mode on the day of the move and another announcement will be posted at that time. I'll also be keeping everyone appraised of any other delays on my Tumblr, so if you're not sure what's going on during the move then check to see if I've made any announcements over at http://phoenixkratos.tumblr.com.

I realize that this is short notice; it's entirely my fault for not getting the lead out and getting more preparations underway earlier. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience. Keep on enjoying Pokémon Turquoise—hopefully even moreso after the big move!
[Image: sig.gif]
Just gonna repurpose this thread and use it for most/all site maintenance updates going forward.

The Pokémon Turquoise forums will be going into maintenance mode for routine updates sometime this weekend, probably early Saturday, March 29th. I cannot give an exact estimate at this time but will try to set a more concrete time for the updates this evening.

While the site is in maintenance mode you will be unable to access the forums; you are advised to avoid typing up long posts on the forums if you are online around that time, because you may lose your work if the forum enters maintenance mode right as you hit "post reply". The maintenance should not take more than an hour and will hopefully be finished even sooner than that. In addition to a general housekeeping update I'll be installing several new plugins that should make the forum experience much more convenient and comfortable for everyone. More details about the new goodies (and some other new goodies...) will be available soon, so hang tight!
Maintenance is finished! More details about what has changed will be available in the next TA, but a few should be readily apparent if you check out the new sidebar section or the very bottom of the forum's home page... ;)
Time for some more housekeeping! The forums will be placed into maintenance mode and will be temporarily inaccessible sometime early Saturday morning (EST), May 24th—probably around 1 AM-ish. This should be a quick, routine software update. As with all such updates you are advised to avoid typing any long posts on the forums around this time; we don't want you pouring your heart and soul into an RP update or well-thought-out mafia post only to lose it when the forum goes into maintenance mode right as you hit "post reply"! Another announcement will be made Friday evening as a final reminder, and again when everything's ready to reopen.
Just a reminder that around ~1am-ish GMT-5 the Pokémon Turquoise forums will be closed for maintenance for a little while. Make sure you're not working on anything important on the forums around that time—if you are, paste it into a file on your computer and save it there so you don't lose it! Thank you!
Unforunately some external issues came up last night and I wasn't able to perform the forum upgrade. The forum maintenance period has been rescheduled for ~1AM GMT-5 on the 25th (this Sunday morning). I apologize for the inconvenience—now that that other stuff is taken care of there shouldn't be anything in the way of actually performing the upgrade! Thanks for your patience!
There we go! All updated and ready for business. As always, let me know if you encounter any issues while using the forum. Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned for more announcements about Gen VI progress!
There will be some brief downtime tonight, June 15th, around 11:PM EST. It's time for some more maintenance updates as well as a few extra tweaks in preparation for the big day on Tuesday. The updates will probably take a few minutes, but I don't anticipate the forums being down for more than half an hour or so. As always, try not to post anything to the forums around that time so you don't lose your lengthy RP posts should maintenance start up right as you're submitting them. Sorry for any inconvenience, thanks for your patience, and we hope you'll enjoy what you see on the anniversary tomorrow!
All done! As always, be sure to let me know if something seems off after this update. As for what exactly has been changed, well, you'll just have to be surprised tomorrow! ;) Thanks for your patience!
The forums will be down for maintenance for an indefinite period of time somewhere around 2PM EST tomorrow, December 28th. It shouldn't be more than a few hours, but I'm not entirely sure how long it will take. As usual, try not to be doing anything important or writing anything lengthy around that time so that you don't lose your work if the forums suddenly switch to maintenance mode on you.

This will be a major update for the forums and will result in upgrades to some existing functionality but the loss of some other functionality and, temporarily, the loss of the current selection of themes. Refer to the bulleted list at the top of this post for more details about what will change.

Hopefully this won't take too long or cause too many problems. On the off chance something does go wrong that will delay the maintenance, I'll announce it on my Tumblr. Thanks for your patience!
The maintenance period is finally over! It took longer than I thought it would, but almost everything should be running relatively smoothly, and the few things that aren't don't seem worth holding up the end of maintenance mode; I'll keep working on them where I can. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

There are a few additional notes:

-There's a new sidebox that displays the three most recently posted or updated threads. Hopefully this will be a good replacement for the similar feature in the chatbox. Additionally, some of the lesser-used sideboxes have been removed for now.

-The sidebox collapse has stopped working correctly, however; it won't stay collapsed between pages, and you can't re-expand it after collapsing it (except by reloading the page). I'll check with the plugin developer later and see why that might be.

-The new WYSIWYG text editor (for the full reply mode, not Quick Reply) apparently doesn't play nicely with the font size tags that we were using in a few places, mostly the RPG profiles. As a result, some text may appear to be ridiculously small. The fastest way to correct it (if you are able to edit the post in question) is to edit the post in Full Edit mode with the WYSIWYG editor, which will automatically convert it into the correct tags and so on, as appropriate; it can also be edited manually in Quick Edit/source code mode. It's purely a visual bug, though, and most instances will hopefully correct themselves over time. If you see a thread that needs to be fixed now and can't edit it yourself, let a staff member know and they'll correct it. (If you don't like the WYSIWIG editor, you can turn it off in your User CP preferences.)

-The EXP and happiness progress bars in RPG profiles are also displaying strangely. I'm looking into a fix for this. Fixed.

-The user profile fields for links to RPG profiles, personal profiles and current adventure threads (in the postbit to the left/on top of your posts) don't work the same way they used to. At the moment, they just display the entire URL to the thread, which is functionally fine, but is not... the prettiest. If this bothers you, edit it in your User CP to use URL BBCode (e.g., [url=http://pokemonturquoise.com/showthread.php?tid=122]Phoenix's Profile[/url]).

I think that's all the noteworthy new stuff and minor quirks. If you see anything else that looks funny, isn't working or seems to be missing, let me know via PM or in this thread.
The forums will be down for maintenance for an indefinite period of time somewhere around 2PM EST Thursday, September 14th. It shouldn't be more than a few hours, but I'm not entirely sure how long it will take. As usual, try not to be doing anything important or writing anything lengthy around that time so that you don't lose your work if the forums suddenly switch to maintenance mode on you.

This will be a minor forum software/plugin update and will also install several new plugins, as well as a new, more customizable theme. The plugins to be added include:

• Two-factor authentication: Add an extra layer of security to your account using a 2FA app like Google Authenticator or Authy. Optional, but highly recommended for general users, and very strongly recommended for staff members. (On a related note, I'd like to switch us over to using HTTPS as well, but I need to do a bit more reading up on how to get that set up and simple to renew, so that may be a little while longer.)
  • The ability to "@mention" a user in a post, linking to their profile and automatically alerting that user (if they have Alerts turned on in their settings) with a link to the thread where they were mentioned.
  • Users' avatars and membergroup styles will be more visible throughout the forum (e.g., the avatar of the last person to post in a thread will be displayed in the thread list along with their name) for additional visual clarity
  • There's also a plugin that will enhance users'  profiles with commenting and other features; this may not go up at exactly the same time as the others, though, as the new theme redesigns the profile a bit and I'll want to make sure they play nicely together.
Hopefully this won't take too long or cause too many problems. I'll post again the day before the maintenance is set to happen as a reminder, and will also let you know if the date ends up changing. On the off chance something does go wrong that will delay the maintenance, I'll announce it on my Tumblr. Thanks for your patience!
The maintenance period originally scheduled for tomorrow is going to need to be pushed back at least a few days. I lost power for a while during the storms early this week (but thankfully it wasn't otherwise bad where I am; hope anyone who was in the area is doing all right!), and I've been running into issues getting some of the plugins and the new theme to function on the test site; I'll need to keep tweaking things until they do work there before I'm comfortable installing them here. I'm not sure when the new maintenance date will be, especially since some things may be coming up this weekend, but I will be sure to post again at least a day in advance so you have ample notice.

Thanks for your patience!