Let's Play Pokemon Turquoise Version Part 3: Steeling Myself For The Rest Of The Game
Haus kept laughing, but this time with less frequency. Mortimer kept up the good work, as even with the non-effective nature of the Razor Leaves, they were doing just enough to weaken Mawile.

"Another Razor Leaf should hopefully finish, Cairne!"
As Mortimer predicted, one last flurry of leaves was all it took. Mawile fell, defeated, the tongue in its horns lolling out onto the floor.

"Ha... ha... heeeeh. Fine, ya got me kid." Haus said, unable to bring himself to laugh anymore, "You gave me a good fight. I hope, when you take on the gym leaders here, I'll get to see how much trouble you give them."

After passing Mortimer a few bucks, Haus walked off, in need of a heal for his pokemon and his broken spirit.

Cairne used Razor Leaf! Nope, still not very effective... (-6 HP)
Foe Mawile fainted!
Cairne gained 51 exp, and grew to level 151 Cairne learned Growth~
Malygos gained 82 exp, ad grew to level 13!

Won 330p~
I hope when you take on the Gym Leaders here, I'll get to see how much trouble you give them.

A smirk rose on Mortimer's face.

"I might wait a while, just so you can."

He decided to give it a few days, before returning to the Gym and formally challenging the Gym Leaders.

OOC: Alright, I'm ready for the Gym Leaders, I think.
As Mortimer stepped into the gym, the building seemed to be bustling with activity. A young boy, who must've been at least ten or younger, was running along the walls of the building, and far out in front of him was a green blur, moving so fast that whatever was moving was indiscernible! As he neared Mortimer the boy slowed to a halt, huffing and panting as he tried to catch his breath before talking.

"H-Hey guy. Are you hear for... for a bat- whew... a battle?" the child asked, his face flushed from running, "Let me just call my mom."

Having to wait for about ten minutes after the child made his call, a woman wearing a business suit walked in through the back entrance. She bowed her head to you then turned to the boy.

"He's the one?"

"Yeah!"

"Alright. I can spare a few minutes before my next meeting." the woman said, then turning to face Mortimer, her voice raising as she spoke, "Welcome challenge, to the Versorecto Gym! My name is Mia and my son is Nick, and we will be your opponents!"

"Yeah, so get ready! Unlike any other gym in New Logora, mom and me do double battles! Hope you can handle that, guy!"

Mia tossed out a pokeball and summoned a large blue beast, the creature clanking as it moved. Nick yelled at the blur that was still doing laps around the gym, the pokemon dashing into the center of the arena in a cloud of dust before stopping, the slender green monster jumping about, unable to sit still for a second!

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 63/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut)
Mia's Pokemon
[16] [sp=na] [sp=loftitan-r] 66/66 [Pressure]
(09-15-2017, 04:57 PM)Orchestra Wrote: As Mortimer stepped into the gym, the building seemed to be bustling with activity. A young boy, who must've been at least ten or younger, was running along the walls of the building, and far out in front of him was a green blur, moving so fast that whatever was moving was indiscernible! As he neared Mortimer the boy slowed to a halt, huffing and panting as he tried to catch his breath before talking.

"H-Hey guy. Are you hear for... for a bat- whew... a battle?" the child asked, his face flushed from running, "Let me just call my mom."

Having to wait for about ten minutes after the child made his call, a woman wearing a business suit walked in through the back entrance. She bowed her head to you then turned to the boy.

"He's the one?"

"Yeah!"

"Alright. I can spare a few minutes before my next meeting." the woman said, then turning to face Mortimer, her voice raising as she spoke, "Welcome challenge, to the Versorecto Gym! My name is Mia and my son is Nick, and we will be your opponents!"

"Yeah, so get ready! Unlike any other gym in New Logora, mom and me do double battles! Hope you can handle that, guy!"

Mia tossed out a pokeball and summoned a large blue beast, the creature clanking as it moved. Nick yelled at the blur that was still doing laps around the gym, the pokemon dashing into the center of the arena in a cloud of dust before stopping, the slender green monster jumping about, unable to sit still for a second!

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 63/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut)
Mia's Pokemon
[16] [sp=na] [sp=loftitan-r] 66/66 [Pressure]

Mortimer saw the boy, and he was fast. When he introduced himself as Nick, and when he had called his mom, Mortimer had surmised there being more than one Gym Leader. However, maybe the younger was a Gym-Leader-in-training type of intern. The mom looked pretty nice in the business suit, though her casual attitude towards this Gym Battle must have suggested that there were not a lot of intense matches for them to have. This was corroborated by the fact each owned what appeared to be Legendary-looking Pokemon.

Fighting Legendary Pokemon as a first Gym Battle seemed to be quite the formidable challenge, and Mortimer was not one to back down.

Sending out Halduron and Malygos, Mortimer got used to the idea of a Double Battle. Rarely had he ever performed in one, though. He only had three Pokemon, but each of the two he was engaging in battle against only had one. One looked to be speedy but fragile, though the other looked to be heavier and more durable. Mortimer needed to decide who to eliminate first, and wondered how powerful his Scraggy's moves would be.

'Halduron, use Low Kick on the blue Steel-type!" Mortimer had no idea what these Pokemon were called.

"Malygos, use Water Gun on the green Steel-type!" Mortimer decided to split his efforts. If Halduron's Low Kick was potent enough, on account of the blue Steel Pokemon's weight, maybe it would fall faster.
The two leaders nodded to their opponent, wishing Mortimer good luck before turning to one another.

"He has a fighting type, Nick."

"Yeah, mom. I know just what to do!" Nick said, whistling to get his pokemon's attention, "Hey Dartz, hit the yellow thing with Torment!"

Dartizel zipped toward Halduron, the Scraggy forced to listen to the resurrected pokemon's insults. Annoyed by the creature's words, Halduron decided he would try a different tactic next round... That green jerk!

In an attempt to get the green thing away from his comrade, Malygos spat a stream of water in its direction, sending the steel type dashing away from the dark/fighting hybrid.

"Loftitan, we need to end this as quickly as possible," Mia said as she looked at her watch, "Use Leer. Let's try to take them out with one blow, Nick."

"Yeah!" Nick responded with a snicker, rubbing his hands together as he gave a wicked grin.

Loftitan glared hard, its glower catching the eyes of its foes. Malygos and Halduron quaked with fear, making them more vulnerable...

Halduron finally got a chance to move, dashing toward the giant blue beast and delivering a sweeping kick to its massive arm. Loftitan snorted, barely registering the pain. Despite how unaffected it seemed, the attack did a lot more than it let on.

Dartizel-R used Torment! Halduron was subjected to Torment!
Malygos used Water Gun on Dartizel-R! Critical hit~ [-12 HP]
Foe Loftitan-R used Leer! Malygos/Halduron's defense fell!
Halduron used Low Kick on Loftitan-R! It's super effective~ [-24 HP]

Mortimer's pokemon:
[13] [sp=m] [sp=wyrmal] 45/45 [Magma Armor] (-1 def)
[11] [sp=m] [sp=scraggy] 42/42 [Moxie] (-1 def) [Tormented]

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 51/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut)
Mia's Pokemon
[16] [sp=na] [sp=loftitan-r] 42/66 [Pressure]
Hm. Torment made it so Halduron could not use Low Kick again in a row, which almost stumped Mortimer until he realized that there were other attacks which could be utilized.

"Halduron," he pat his Scraggy gently on the head, "I think Sand Attack on the green one might be the best thing." If the green one had sand in its eyes, its attacks were not likely to hit at all.

Mortimer turned to Malygos, "Keep using Water Gun on the green one." He presumed it was frailer by a decent margin.
"Ha, both of his pokemon can't do anything to us!" Nick laughed as he pointed at Mortimer's team.

"Nick, don't mock. The battle is still early. He might be able to change the direction this battle ta-"

"Mom, he's not going to win! His Wyrmal can't do anything to our pokemon, and his Scraggy can't use its best move!"

"Again, you never know Nick. Even if his pokemon seem weak, you still need to think strategically. You should use Focus-"

Cutting off his mother again, Nick yelled out to his pokemon, "Dartizel, he'll probably switch Wyrmal out since it sucks. Wait and take it out with Pursuit!"

Dartizel-R did wait, by which I mean it ran laps around Malygos and waited for him to be recalled... But since that didn't seem to be happening, the green beast grew bored and struck the sea snake with a dark punch! Before Dartizel could make its escape, Malygos spat another stream of water, causing his metallic foe to yelp in surprise!

"See what I mean, Nick? You assumed instead of strategizing. If you had gone with Focus Energy, Dartizel could have taken them out much easier!"

"Mom, I know how to battle!"

"And yet..." Mia shook her head for a moment before turning back to the battle, "Loftitan, use Curse! That should make this a little more difficult for our challenger."

Loftitan-R's body creaked and hissed as it crossed its large blue arms, its body seemingly getting stronger at the cost of its movements becoming more sluggish.

Not bothering with his original target, Halduron turned to the green speed demon zipping around. Waiting for Dartizel-R to come in close, the Scraggy started to kick and whip his tail around, kicking up a plume of dust that the Restoration pokemon ran right through! Dartizel-R's movements changed, zigging and zagging as it tried not to crash into anything.

Dartizel-R used Pursuit on Malygos! [-22 HP]
Malygos used Water Gun on Dartizel-R! [-7 HP]
Foe Loftitan-R used Curse! Loftitan-R's attack and defense rose, but speed fell!
Halduron used Sand Attack on Dartizel-R! Dartizel-R's accuracy fell!

Mortimer's pokemon:
[13] [sp=m] [sp=wyrmal] 23/45 [Magma Armor] (-1 def)

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 44/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut) (-1 accuracy)
Mia's Pokemon
[16] [sp=na] [sp=loftitan-r] 42/66 [Pressure] (+1 atk, +1 def) (-1 speed)
Torment still impeded the progress of Halduron. On the plus side, time was spent by "Loftitan" by it using Curse, which boosted its physical Attack and Defense, at the expense of Speed. Low Kick was still liable to hit the heavy Pokemon really hard, though now it seemed like both of these Pokemon were probably heavy enough to be Low Kick'd. Loftitan would probably set up more, which made Mortimer worried.

"Halduron, resume using Low Kick on Loftitan!"

"Malygos, use Wrap on Loftitan!" If the blue Pokemon suffered residual damage from Wrap, then its defensive capabilities would become more of a liability. With the Sand-Attack lowering accuracy of Dartizel's attacks, maybe Mortimer needed to have his Pokemon play on the defensive.
"I don't know why you keep talkin' about strategy! Lofty's just sitting there while Dart's doing all the work!"

"It's called 'playing the long game,' Nick."

"It's called playing the stupid game!" Nick yelled, pointing at the pokemon, "We're losin' to some low-leveled scrubs!"

With a sigh and rubbing her temple, Mia gave in, "Fine. Go all out. The sooner this is over the better."

"Yeah! Dart, get the Scraggy with Cut!" Nick called out, his green machine dashing around awkwardly as it tried to zone in on Halduron. With the fighting type in its sight, Dartizel-R raised its claw and... Not only whiffed the Cut, but ended up tripping and rolling across the arena right into a wall! "...Dartizel, that's not getting the Scraggy..."

"Hnnhnn..." Mia sniggered at Dartizel's total failure, "You blame me for taking time to strategize, yet your own pokemon just failed from your opponent thinking strategically."

"... Yeah? Guess you're right mom. His strategy seems to be working on Lofty too~"

"What?" Mia turned to find her Loftitan-r had a red serpent coiled around its arm, "Quick Loftitan! Get it off with Metal Claw!"

Loftitan-R tried to shake Malygos off, and when that failed, used its free arm to strike at the Wyrmal with its massive metallic fist! Malygos held on despite being in terrible pain... But not nearly as terrible as Loftitan-R did when Halduron gave the hulking monster another sweeping kick! Loftitan-R creaked and hissed, its body getting worn down by the barrage of attacks.

Dartizel-R used Cut on Halduron! The attack missed...
Malygos used Wrap on Loftitan-R! [-1 HP]
Foe Loftitan-R is wrapped up!
Halduron used Low Kick on Loftitan-R! It's super effective! [-18 HP]
Foe Loftitan-R used Metal Claw on Malygos! It's not very effective... [-13 HP]
Foe Loftitan-R is hurt by Wrap! [-8 HP]

Mortimer's pokemon:
[13] [sp=m] [sp=wyrmal] 10/45 [Magma Armor] (-1 def)

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 44/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut) (-1 accuracy)
Mia's Pokemon
[16] [sp=na] [sp=loftitan-r] 15/66 [Pressure] (+1 atk, +1 def) (-1 speed) [Wrapped! 1/4]
Lofty was suffering from residual damage, which was how things were. Halduron was still Tormented, which meant he had to use something else besides Low Kick. Otherwise, Lofty would have been felled, and Moxie would have likely activated.

With that said, however, the green Pokemon nearly attacked Scraggy, only to whiff the Cut attack. Somehow, Mortimer wondered if there was more than just the Sand Attack accuracy loss at work.

"Halduron, I apologize for the ensuing confusion. Can you use Sand Attack on Dart?"

He then directed his attention to Malygos, who seemed to have taken a powerful blow from Lofty.

"Malygos, I applaud your patience with me. Can you use Water Gun on Lofty?"
Despite wanting the battle to end quickly so that she could tend to her business, the worsening condition of Loftitan-R brought a sliver of panic to Mia's otherwise calm attitude. "Since you won't do anything other than attack with brute force, the least we can do is try to disable Halduron at this point," she began to tell her son.

The boy, whose attention darted about as quickly as his Pokémon moved, had already lost all interest in what his losing mother had to say, shouted out another command. "We just hafta get one shot in with our powerful Cut, Dart! Don't even given them a chance to think!" Apparently he didn't give himself a chance to think either, as Dartizel skidded around the field, locked in on Halduron again, and caught only air with its metallic fin.

Mia sighed at the show of incompetence, practically admitting defeat for her Pokémon. "I figured that would be your answer. Loftitan, let's do what we can to make things easier on Dartizel, at least. Put that fighting type to sleep, would ya?" The blue heavyweight sounded out a heaping yawn of exhaustion, one so contagious that even the nearby Halduron started to feel its effects.

Nick glared at his mom with a face that seemed to be questioning if she was dumb. "Really? We have to attack their Pokémon to make them faint, ya know...? Whatever, I'll just take them both down with Dart if you won't help." The boy was clearly frustrated, and almost completely oblivious to the fact that he brought the disadvantage upon himself.

Dartizel-R used Cut on Halduron! The attack missed...
Malygos used Water Gun on Loftitan-R! [-4 HP]
Halduron used Sand Attack on Dartizel-R! Dartizel-R's accuracy fell!
Foe Loftitan-R used Yawn on Halduron! Halduron became drowsy!
Foe Loftitan-R is hurt by Wrap! [-8 HP]

Mortimer's pokemon:
[13] [sp=m] [sp=wyrmal] 10/45 [Magma Armor] (-1 def)
[11] [sp=m] [sp=scraggy] 42/42 [Moxie] (-1 def) [Tormented] [Drowsy]

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 44/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut) (-2 accuracy)
Mia's Pokemon
[16] [sp=na] [sp=loftitan-r] 3/66 [Pressure] (+1 atk, +1 def) (-1 speed) [Wrapped! 2/4]
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

Mortimer recognized the symptoms of Yawn, from watching some of Professor Gadari's older fanbase use the attack on Pokemon with equivalent stalliness to Loftitian. It surprised him that this Steel-type had such moves early, though Torment was also in its movepool. Was this Pokemon part-Dark? Or would that require a type synchronization to add the type to, if Mortimer ever got one of his own Restoration Pokemon?

Well, he had other ideas.

He withdrew Halduron, and sent out Cairne. With the way the battle was going, replacing one of the two Pokemon was something Mortimer had assumed was a foregone conclusion. However, Malygos the Wyrmal seemed determined to deter both of the Restoration Pokemon, and such confidence was something the trainer admired in his Pokemon.

"Malygos, you go on ahead and use Water Gun on Lofty to finish the encounter." Mortimer heard that Dartizel was powerful, but with it missing a good chunk of the time, he doubted Dartizel would land another hit in the next few turns. He could always be surprised, though it seemed like the power Dartizel had already came at the expense of accuracy to begin with, even before the Sand Attacks reaffirmed this.

"Cairne, if the chance arises, use Razor Leaf on Dart!"

OOC: Malygos stays to use Water Gun on Loftitian. Halduron gets withdrawn for Cairne; Cairne will use Razor Leaf on Dartizel whenever possible.
As Halduron was switched for Cairne, Nick scrambled to call out a Pursuit attack, but didn't get it out before the exchange had already happened.

"Oh, fine, whatever! Dart, use Cut on the one that just came out!" He groaned again afterwards, very easily voicing his dismay at not being able to take the heavy hitter out of the game permanently.

Mia sighed next to Nick, and tried calling out her own attack, but it didn't get very far as both of Mortimer's pokemon went on their attack --Malygos with another stream of water and Cairne with a flurry of sharp leaves -- effectively taking Loftitan out of the game and leaving the Dartizel-R exposed and possibly very vulnerable (not to mention just a little bit more weakened). It seemed this battle would be drawing to a close very soon -- if no untoward happenings occurred, that is.

Return, Halduron! Go, Cairne!
Dartizel-R used Cut on Cairne! Critical hit! [-45 HP]
Cairne's ability was activated!
Malygos used Water Gun on Loftitan-R! [-3 HP]
Loftitan-R's Pressure made Malygos nervous! Malygos' accuracy fell...
Foe Loftitan-R fainted!

Malygos gained 151% exp. Malygos grew to level 14!
Cairne gained 113% exp. Cairne grew to level 16!
Halduron gained 211% exp. Halduron grew to level 12, then level 13!
Halduron learned Headbutt~

Cairne used Razor Leaf on Dartizel-R! It's not very effective... [-11 HP]

Mortimer's pokemon:
[14] [sp=m] [sp=wyrmal] 13/48 [Magma Armor] (-1 def, -1 accuracy)
[16] [sp=m] [sp=acafia] 15/60 [Overgrow]

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 33/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut) (-2 accuracy)
Mia's Pokemon
[16] [sp=na] [sp=loftitan-r] 0/66 [Pressure]

One down, one more to go.

Dartizel's Cut hit Cairne pretty hard, but the bull was still standing. That's what mattered. There was not a whole lot the Acafia could do now, but it stomached a blow that would have resulted in misfortune for Scraggy. This act alone made Cairne the MVP.

"Malygos, use Water Gun on Dart!"

He pondered what to do with Cairne, but then shrugged, "Cairne, use Razor Leaf again, this time on Dart!"

OOC: Sidenote: shouldn't Dart's HP be at 33 before this next round? Or am I not seeing something?
OOC: You are correct. It was missed by accident and has been fixed accordingly.

"Quick, Dartizel! Get rid of that Acafia!" Nick called out. For his part, at least the son had recognized that Cairne was doing some heavy damage and was a larger threat than the Wrymal. The robotic dino surged forward, raising a shining claw to strike the green calf. Stopping right before the Thorn Bud pokemon, Dart brought that claw down faster than the eye could see and a plume of dust rose from the area. Not hesitant in the least, Malygos shot a stream of water at the shadow that was Dartizel, blowing the dust-cloud away.

Cairne still stood, and the green dino was looking confused at where its claw had landed in the hard earth. Not missing a beat once he could see, Cairne swiped his head around and sharp-edged leaves pummeled the Restoration pokemon at close range. Coupled with the calf's ability, the attack definitely left a dent in Dart's remaining strength.

"No! Why did you have to miss at such a crucial time, Dart?" Wailed Nick, stomping a foot down out of frustration where he stood on the other side of the field.

Dartizel-R used Metal Claw on Cairne! It missed. . .
Malygos used Water Gun on Dartizel-R! [-7 HP]
Cairne used Razor Leaf on Dartizel-R! It's not very effective. [-11 HP]

Mortimer's pokemon:
[16] [sp=m] [sp=acafia] 15/60 [Overgrow]

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 15/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut) (-2 accuracy)
Mia's Pokemon

"Your green goblin hits like a truck," Mortimer offered a compliment, but raised a question after, "So, what causes its accuracy to be innately compromised in the process?" Something was not right about Dartizel.

The trainer shrugged, "Malygos, wail on Dart with Water Gun. Cairne, finish off this green guy with Razor Leaf on top of that."
"That's why Dart 'hits like a truck'." Nick responded, calling for a Pursuit this time on the Thorn Bud pokemon (probably hoping the attack will actually hit). He was still clearly quite frustrated. "Dart's ability gives it more power to its punches, but obviously, there's a drawback to it." At least the kid could sound smart when talking about his pokemon; maybe he just wasn't as smart when in a battle. Mia stayed mostly silent. As her pokemon was out for the count and withdrawn already, she could only watch and hope her son could pull it off in this gym battle. She sighed softly, watching the monitors around the gym arena -- it was unlikely.

Dartizel zoomed off to perform its Pursuit attack, closing in quickly on Cairne's location again -- there was barely enough time for the green calf to react. Moving again so quickly that it was a blur, the Restoration pokemon punted Cairne away; the Thorn Bud's landing was against a single wall-space that had no monitors mounted on it. Dust and debris rained down and the Acafia was lost to sight. Malygos quickly shot a stream of water to distract the green dino, the water splashing against the creature's raised arm. As the Dartizel turned toward the Wyrmal, a glowing green figure emerged from the fading cloud of dust, and sharp-edged leaves caught Dart in the back, finally bringing the "truck" down. Nick stood there flabbergasted, before Recalling his creature and flopping into a wheely-chair that was far away from the arena -- watching the data that the monitors had gathered with a glum pout on his face.

Mia approached Mortimer, shaking his hand and handing him the Aegis Badge at the same time. Some money was also turned over, as well as a silvery disc.

"Congratulations and that was a very good battle. Your strategy, I thought, was a little shaky in the beginning, but you and your pokemon pulled it off wonderfully." She pointed to the disc, and explained that it was the HM Cut, but it had been modified by her company -- it was a steel-typed attack now and had become more powerful. "And now, I'll be going to my meeting. I'm late. Have a good day." And she walked off to a door at one of the many sides to the gym and disappeared.

Dartizel-R used Pursuit on Cairne! [-13 HP]
Malygos used Water Gun on Dartizel-R! [-7 HP]
Cairne used Razor Leaf on Dartizel-R! It's not very effective. [-8 HP]
Dartizel-R Fainted.

Malygos gained 130% exp. Malygos grew to level 15!
Cairne gained 100% exp. Cairne grew to level 17!
Halduron gained 151% exp. Halduron grew to level 14! Then level 15!

Mortimer won the Gym battle!
The Aegis badge as well as the [sp=hmsteel] HM Cut was given.
Mortimer was also handed 1600P.

Mortimer's pokemon:
[16] [sp=m] [sp=acafia] 2/60 [Overgrow]

Nick's Pokemon:
[16] [sp=na] [sp=dartizel-r] 0/63 [Hustle] (knows Cut) (-2 accuracy)
Mia's Pokemon

OOC: Does Acafia evolve now? I'm a little unsure of how else to proceed otherwise.