Essays and Papers
It is 5 minutes to 12:00 AM where I reside currently, and I have my first college history paper due exactly 12 hours later at 12:00 PM (yes, it is due on a Saturday). This is the kind of thing that will easily keep me up all night, as I like to be extremely meticulous when it comes to writing, and even besides that, this has proven to be a tough assignment.

Everyone who goes thought the motions of primary and secondary education faces many written assignments, including essays, research papers, lab reports, and long term stories. What are your experiences with writing assignments, and how do you feel about writing them in general? Are there any in particular that you enjoyed, or any that you resented with a burning passion?

I've always been a good writer when I apply myself, but I am quick to have writers' block. It takes a ton of motivation to get me to work on one, especially if the topic is dull or I feel that I am too busy to start working on it early. I have had some really stellar papers, my favorite being a research paper analyzing apocalyptic ideas that I wrote as a high school freshman. I have a history of getting A's on most of my essays, even the ones I didn't work hard on, though I'm expecting that I will have to work much harder to earn similar grades in college.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

(09-14-2013, 12:09 AM)Isaac Wrote: I've always been a good writer when I apply myself, but I am quick to have writers' block.

That describes me exactly. Although, different to you, I can get off to the races when beginning a piece - tons of motivation - but I seem to hit bumps in the road after getting a roll that I grind to a halt.

http://pokemonturquoise.com/showthread.php?tid=348
Formerly akg377

[Image: LeBron-James-Dunk-on-Jason-Terry.gif]
(09-15-2013, 02:51 AM)akg377 Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 12:09 AM)Isaac Wrote: I've always been a good writer when I apply myself, but I am quick to have writers' block.

That describes me exactly. Although, different to you, I can get off to the races when beginning a piece - tons of motivation - but I seem to hit bumps in the road after getting a roll that I grind to a halt.

This paper that I had to write yesterday was very much like that. I actually formulated a fairly decent thesis quickly and jumped into writing, but then I had all sorts of trouble when quoting from the primary source documents.

It really does depend on the topic. Ancient Indian and Chinese rituals are not something that I would ordinarily find myself writing about. My best writings are on topics that I genuinely care about or am fascinated with.
~ Taav
[Image: GziDAAU.png]

Ughh, papers aren't exactly my forte. I had decent experience with them in high school (generally A's, high B's if I was having an off-day), but papers I wrote then were always on stiff subjects and were basically from writing proses from the AP exams and the ACT. I didn't often get papers that deviated from those areas, not at least until my first year of college. Then, it took a bit of serious effort from then on to get anything really good on the papers I had to write. Granted they were mainly heavy-research based papers, and I absolutely hate doing research, it was still a bit of a stifle on my expectations when I started getting consistent B's on my papers in college. It could have just been my professor for the first semester since things shaped up a bit more during the second semester. In any case, I wouldn't mind papers so much if I were to actually have to write one that coincides with my interests.
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

Last year I wrote a six-page research paper entirely during the lab in which it was due, finishing mere minutes before I was supposed to get up and talk to the class about it. And got an A on it. :P Granted this was for a web development class and I was writing a really, really cursory paper on dinosaur evolution just so I could make a dumbed-down app about it, so I was hardly going to be graded as stringently as I would've been if that were a paleontology course or something. But still!

I didn't usually procrastinate that badly on essays, and I would have at least had it done earlier in the day had my laptop not died on the train, but yeah, assuming I could drum up the motivation to start them essays were never that bad for me. Writing about a topic you enjoy (like dinosaurs) always helps, but I could always force myself to keep going on even the things I wasn't all that interested in. I was originally going to be an English major so maybe I'm partially inured to it, I dunno.
[Image: sig.gif]
I have a really bad history of procrastinating on essays, though that's a common thing coming from high school. I'd always start an essay the night before it was due, but this kind of strategy worked for me. Yet, I've already learned that I won't be able to continue like this for college. I'm definitely going to do my best not to let paper deadlines to catch me off guard, since college and high school are different leagues in terms of grading and expectations.

I have to take 3 writing-intensive courses, but other than that, I won't be taking many classes with writing components, except for maybe lab reports and the like. But lab reports are often really easy for me to do, or at least they are easier than history papers on ancient Asian civilizations.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]