RP Discussion
I just thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to general RP discussion--whether you're looking for character ideas, want to get feedback on some plotty things you have planned for your adventure, are hoping for some feedback on one of your threads or posts, hope to find a partner for IRP, want to talk about ways to improve your RP, or anything else related to the RPing aspect of the RPG.

To get the ball rolling, why don't we introduce our RP characters and talk a little about any ideas we have for their story? I'll go first...

Jack came about primarily because all the info I had on New Logora gave me a very pulp-action-movie kind of vibe: misty rainforests, ancient ruins, mysterious, vaguely Aztec mythology, and so on. It seemed like it was just crying out for your typical intrepid explorer-type, and Indiana Jones was created as an homage to exactly that kind of hero and might be considered the quintessential example today. I figured someone along those lines would both be very setting-appropriate and also loads of fun to play. I also wanted a very active character simply because, while it can be loads of fun to torment a kind of mopey, shrinking-violet sort of character, it can be a lot of work to get them to actually do stuff. There's a lot of cool stuff I want to check out in New Logora, and I wanted a character who would naturally want to see it all, too, and who would seek out or even create interesting situations, rather than having to be dragged into them all the time.

Overall, I'm looking to have Jack grow up a bit over the course of her adventure. She starts out very immature, and the general tone of the story is pretty lighthearted and zany, but it will get increasingly dark as time goes on. Jack's pretty misdemeanor-prone by nature, but she's eventually going to get mixed up with some much more serious criminals and pulled in way over her head. I'm thinking writing her slowly having her cockiness and self-assurance stripped away and replaced with a somewhat more realistic worldview is going to be a lot of fun (so much trauma!), and the arc gives me an opportunity to play around with some favorite NPC's of mine from a different setting who really wouldn't work as main characters for this kind of adventure.

So, what about your character(s)? What did you have in mind when you put them together, and what do you have in store for them in New Logora?
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
I really have no idea where my character is going. I'll admit that he's based loosely on me which I've found is a big no-no in RPing but I've never done this before so I just went with whatever felt natural. I would love some ideas on how to make my character more unique. I have put a little bit of effort into developing my pokemon's personalities and I'm really happy with how I'm writing Barwell and Cerebral have come out and I've given some thought to how they're going to develop as they evolve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[Image: 21.jpg]
William just seemed like he would be an interesting type to play? He loves pokémon but isn't training with that as his motivation. He wants strong, capable pokémon by his side because a) he needs them for his eventual career as an explorer and b) (and this is more cerebral and subconscious) he wants to be taken seriously and is scared that if he tried to break into the field now, people would just see him as some hick. I really need to work on the details of his eventual story. For now he's just trying to make his way as a trainer and prove himself.
[Image: sprayletnew_zps012855eb.gif] [Image: invicunya_zps6e40ce8e.gif] [Image: mareep_zps94b5b980.gif] [Image: dustley_zps0123597e.gif]
(08-05-2013, 11:09 AM)Daggerstorm Wrote: I really have no idea where my character is going. I'll admit that he's based loosely on me which I've found is a big no-no in RPing but I've never done this before so I just went with whatever felt natural. I would love some ideas on how to make my character more unique. I have put a little bit of effort into developing my pokemon's personalities and I'm really happy with how I'm writing Barwell and Cerebral have come out and I've given some thought to how they're going to develop as they evolve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know, I don't actually think it's such a bad thing to play a character that's loosely based on you. Pretty much everyone does when they're just starting out; certainly I did. As long as you approach how you play that character with the mindset that they're not actually you, but someone else--they may like or dislike different things than you do, and react to some situations in completely different ways than you would--I think that, over time, they'll naturally start to grow into their own person.

If you want to kind of jump-start that, though, I think the best way to do so might be to work a bit on your character's history. Probably he's had a very different life than you, if for no other reason than because he lives in the pokémon world. If you think about what kind of family situation he had, what important events might have happened to him in the past, you can get some idea of how those might have shaped him as a person. It could be something as simple as, "His uncle had a houndour that attacked him once when he was young, so now he doesn't like dark-types." Little details like that can help you develop a sense of who your character is, independent of you, and give them a bit of personality.

Working on a character's history is also usually a good way to help yourself plan for their future. If you know a character's background, you probably have some idea of what really matters to them in life and what their aspirations might be--for example, someone who was very poor growing up might hope to become a strong trainer so that they'd be able to earn a lot from battling, or achieve a stable position as a gym trainer or leader, and not have to worry about money ever again; whereas someone who came from a very affluent family might want to do a trainer's journey just to prove that they can make their way on their own, without the help of their family's fortune.

Hope that helps!

(08-05-2013, 05:54 PM)Fortooate Wrote: William just seemed like he would be an interesting type to play? He loves pokémon but isn't training with that as his motivation. He wants strong, capable pokémon by his side because a) he needs them for his eventual career as an explorer and b) (and this is more cerebral and subconscious) he wants to be taken seriously and is scared that if he tried to break into the field now, people would just see him as some hick. I really need to work on the details of his eventual story. For now he's just trying to make his way as a trainer and prove himself.

He sounds like a pretty interesting character! Are his family 0kay with him running off to be an adventurer, or are they disappointed he won't be working on the family farm? (Or do they not know his plans yet?)
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

I'm not totally sure where my RP is going. I'm so used to having a concrete flow of action that I base my entire story around that...and now that the region itself is so fluid, it's going to be difficult to develop a concrete story.

All I know thus far is that Selenia has been engaged by a small agency who want her to work in tandem with the Revitalists...for whatever reason.

Yeah, maybe when I get a free moment I should plot out my story. :X
[Image: Ventus_Signature_by_Zierou.jpg]
[Image: OrangeIslandsSig_zps426f040b.png]
(08-05-2013, 06:54 PM)Negrek Wrote: He sounds like a pretty interesting character! Are his family 0kay with him running off to be an adventurer, or are they disappointed he won't be working on the family farm? (Or do they not know his plans yet?)

His parents know. They're not particularly enthusiastic about his choice in careers (they're both businesslike to some extent), and his mother particularly wanted him to be employed in the marketing side of the farm's business, but they've got four other children to do work on the ranch and they don't need him to stick around. They just don't much see the point in it, if it's not going to make him financially secure.

ITT: Negrek asks helpful questions.
[Image: sprayletnew_zps012855eb.gif] [Image: invicunya_zps6e40ce8e.gif] [Image: mareep_zps94b5b980.gif] [Image: dustley_zps0123597e.gif]
http://pokemonturquoise.com/showthread.p...365&page=2

Started filling in a lot of the blank spots in my RP, hopefully something that I can finish today so that I can move onto my next topic with peace of mind. So far, I'm liking the way I'm having Nik turn out. He's loosely based off of aspects of myself, though with some traits that I perhaps desire to see myself with, and definitely being more outgoing and friendly in real-life situations. For the most part, he's pretty easy to play along.

What I'm really enjoying is giving my Pokémon much more deep-rooted connections with Nik, especially Chomps. I kinda have to enjoy RPing with Chomps while I can because with the way things are looking, he won't exactly be a permanent member of Nik's team, and so the tension will definitely be high between the Carvanha and Nik when its time for him to be boxed away. I'm looking for some opinions on my story so far, though. I really haven't gotten this heavily into detailed RPing in the past, although I can't quite pump out the stories that I see Negrek and Phoenixsong creating. Maybe at some point, though. A man could dream anyways, heh. But yeah, maybe some guidelines or suggestions for filling things out more thoroughly, giving it a bit more bulk and character, etc.
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

Quote:He's loosely based off of aspects of myself, though with some traits that I perhaps desire to see myself with, and definitely being more outgoing and friendly in real-life situations.

Wait, I'm confused... are you saying Nik is more outgoing than you, or vice versa? :P

It's kind of interesting that the pokémon you've enjoyed writing copy for the most is also the one that's going to be around for the least amount of time. I'd watch out--if you start getting too attached, you might have to start rearranging that dream team. ;)

Anyway, I like what you've been writing so far, especially the part with the minijina and its parents... I don't know whether you ever intend to revisit why the minijina decided to travel with Nik/whether its family will ever play into the storyline later, but you've written yourself a nice plot hook if you ever feel like you want to pursue it further.

As far as filling things out more fully... I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you think you're just not writing enough, or do you feel like there are gaps you need to fill, or something else?

For character, though, I would suggest trying to figure out what your characters' defining qualities are, then putting them in situations where they really shine. How is Nik different than every other generic trainer out there? Those differences are what make him interesting and give you the opportunity to create memorable scenes. For example, let's say you have a character you've decided is particularly kind. This opens up lots of opportunity for conflict: for example, will they sometimes hold back in an important battle for fear of seriously injuring their own pokémon or their opponent's? Might they try capturing a particularly weak pokémon because they think it will be safer traveling with them than it would be in the wild, even if they don't think it will contribute much to their team? Alternatively, will they forego capturing that really rare/cool pokémon they spent a ton of time looking because they realize it has a home/family/whatever that it really doesn't want to leave behind? Try and think of a situation that only your character could manage to get themselves into as a result of their unique personality, then solve it in their own idiosyncratic way. Alternatively, present a situation that trainers face all the time, then have them respond to it in a way that's different than the norm, but reflects their personal values and quirks.

I think I kind of worded it incorrectly. It's not that he's really more outgoing, but a lot more straightforward. He's not afraid to speak his mind really, and he chases after his desires no matter what the cost. And as such, he's not as calculating and logical as I am in real life.

Haha I'll definitely have to think about the Carvanha issue though. I do enjoy RPing with him, but I definitely have some other planned Pokémon characteristics for my future team, so I think I'll be alright with putting Chomps in the box eventually. And I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep the fun tension between Nik and Chomps going, either. As it is now, Chomps is definitely warming up, bit by bit, but I feel like it might become dull after Chomps starts to like Nik more. Either that, or I'll just have Chomps as one of those Pokémon with a tough exterior who definitely shows it, but there's a mutual unspoken friendship between him and Nikolai.

I'm definitely gonna try to explain more with the Minijina story, but I feel like that won't happen until Nik get's to learn more about the Minijina, and finally when he gets to the point of naming him.

As for filling things out, I really don't see myself writing too much at any given point, and I don't think it should bother me but it does at times. When I reread it over, though, it's still generally entertaining and informative, so I think I'm doing a decent job despite not having as much detail as say yourself. I guess it's a good balance to not write as much at any given point if I want to be able to keep up with RPing my story in. xD

I'll definitely take all of that advice into account. I do agree that I should bring in some situations that kind of show Nik's character a bit more. Thanks, Negrek! ^_^
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

Soooo, a character-building exercise I thought would be fun--that is, something I saw Ray Maverick doing and thought would be an excellent thing to rip off and transplant here--character interviews! The idea is to develop your character concept by answering a series of questions about them, some of which will hopefully cover aspects you hadn't considered before and help you flesh them out a bit. It's pretty simple--if you want your character to be interviewed, just answer the set of initial questions below, and then I'll come up with some more relating to what I find interesting about your character, and we'll go from there.

So tl;dr just copy/paste and answer these to get the ball rolling:

What is your full name?

When and where were you born?

What's your family like?

Any story from the past you'd like to share with us?

How did you come to New Logora?

What is your relationship with pokémon?

Do you have any special abilities?

Tell us about your appearance. Height, weight, race, hair and eye color, style of dress, any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks, these kind of things.

Do you have any allergies, diseases or physical weaknesses?

What do you have in your pockets?

Do you admit to having any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?

If you don't like these questions, feel free to make up some of your own to answer instead... the idea is simply to get a general sense of the character before digging deeper with some more tailor-made questions.

I guess I'll give it a go. I have difficulty with details, but I'll try my best.

Why not. This should help flesh out Ian a bit.

Awesome! Let's get this started.

[spoiler]

What is your full name?

Javier Andres Rivera.

When and where were you born?
Solaceon Town, June 23rd, 1999. My parents met when they were Breeders at the Day Care.

What's your family like?
We're really close. I have a few Pokémon at my grandparents' Day Care. Did I mention I'm the Day Care couple's grandson? My dad's their son. He's from Sinnoh, and mom's from Hoenn, so they're both expert Breeders. They taught me everything I know; how to identify natures, how to get certain moves onto certain Pokémon.

Any story from the past you'd like to share with us?
Well, there is one thing. My family and my crush's family are very close. Once, we went to Hearthome and we watched Contests and we held hands... I can't believe her family moved with mine to New Logora.

How did you come to New Logora?
My parents were making an investigation on new Pokémon species, and once they cataloged Sinnoh they were called to work on New Logora. My crush's parents are scientists as well, so they formed an investigative team with my parents.

What is your relationship with Pokémon?
I get along with Pokémon better than people. I can spend days on end just playing with them.

Do you have any special abilities?
Not really. Above average intelligence and not much else.

Tell us about your appearance. Height, weight, race, hair and eye color, style of dress, any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks, these kind of things.
I'm tall for my age, almost 6 feet. I'm average weight. I'm Latino, so that's the color of my complexion, and I brown hair and eyes. I usually wear casual clothes.

Do you have any allergies, diseases or physical weaknesses?
I've had asthma since I was a baby.

What do you have in your pockets?
Money, a phone, and some lint.

Do you admit to having any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
I bite my nails. I keep about 10 different pins on my messenger bag.
[Image: goomy-2.gif]