Storyline
Sorry if I'm being thick-headed or am missing something obvious here, but how do story lines work in TTRPG; like the regular canon Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua/Galactic/Plasma, how could you work that into your RPG, or is it consistent throughout everybody using TTRPG?
Is there something I'm missing out on or overlooking?
How about reoccurring characters apart from your rival and such: perhaps if you write a friendship into a certain trainer you battle, could you request to meet him again in a later thread - linking the page to the original thread?
Sorry if I'm asking for too much, or am making things too complicated.
Answers are appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
-akg377

http://pokemonturquoise.com/showthread.php?tid=348
Formerly akg377

[Image: LeBron-James-Dunk-on-Jason-Terry.gif]
More will be revealed on the overall storyline of the New Logora Region, but for now, all that is currently distinguishable as storyline/plot would be found here: http://turquoise.alteredorigin.net/w/Help_Wanted
As far as working it into your story goes, you could make mentions of the revivalists and show interest in what they are doing, along with making mention of the help wanted flyers that are out and about everywhere.

As far as other characters go, you are more than welcome to create sticking characters in your story. Like you said, just link back so the moderator controlling the character in battle can see things about their personality, pokemon, etc. Characters like that can also be described in your Personal Profile for easier access.
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

(07-29-2013, 08:58 AM)Chronicler Wrote: As far as working it into your story goes, you could make mentions of the revivalists and show interest in what they are doing, along with making mention of the help wanted flyers that are out and about everywhere.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean here...

Formerly akg377

^Sorry, I only just realised. I didn't read it in depth though (http://turquoise.alteredorigin.net/w/Help_Wanted ), because I'm gettin' unusually drowsy, so...
G'night

Formerly akg377

Nah, there's no trouble in asking questions. :)

There is an overarching storyline to this game that will be revealed through additional events, announcements and so forth as time goes on. The main storyline will have an overarching effect on everyone playing as things change and stuff happens throughout the region, but how your character responds to these effects is largely up to you and the story you want to tell. (You can even choose to ignore the vast majority of story-related events and sidequests/characters if you want; few, if any, of these things have a major effect on your ability to collect badges and train super-monsters to punch each other in the face.) There isn't really an "evil team" in New Logora in the same sense as the above examples, but there will definitely be plenty of recurring characters who will be trying to make things more difficult for everyone, and others who are trying to make things difficult for the people who are making things difficult, and so on. If you run into one, write them into your story as you see fit! It's not really a huge problem if you're doing something that's different from what everyone else is doing; there's at least basic information about most places and people that is considered "canon" for this region, so you'll likely want to start with that as a guideline, but where things go from there is up to you. It's not a huge deal if you, say, make up a building in a location that isn't explicitly described as there, or if you just invent a description/personality for a character who hasn't been officially described yet, or whatever.

...Of course, much that concrete basic information about the region, its inhabitants and its story/history isn't actually available yet, which is less due to "spoilers" and more to "my fault because I'm inordinately slow at writing parts of it up". Some of it is spoilers, granted, but anyone is more than welcome to ask me about a certain character or place or thing; I'll be happy to tell you any non-spoilery information I've finalized about it so far.

We'd like to keep what happens during at least parts of players' adventures at least kind of persistent. The immediate gist of this is that, yes, it's perfectly okay for you to request that you bump into an opponent you met earlier (and yes, it'd be helpful to provide a link so the mods remember what you're talking about). If you specifically want to re-battle the trainer then be aware that you're not likely to have full control over their team, but that's more to keep players from dictating pathetically easy teams they can trample with no effort. Every once in a while it's even okay to ask mods that a semi-specific trainer (semi-specific in that, again, you can't dictate their entire team) appear in your adventure, even if it's someone you're making up on the spot as opposed to someone you'd met before. You can see the section "Creating Custom ('Plot') Opponents" here in the Getting Started guide for more on that.

This also means that there may be some characters or events that are persistent between multiple players' adventures; this hasn't happened yet but is a possibility in the future. It's usually fine for you to try and run into people you may have seen in other players' threads as well (though do be careful about "borrowing" characters that those players have created specifically for their own storylines and such; I wouldn't try to incorporate those into your own story without asking those players for permission first. If the mod created the character and it doesn't seem too specific to that player, though, it's probably fair game to request.).

That about cover it? (EDIT: And I only realized well after I posted this that there were several other posts above this one, haha. Still, hopefully that was helpful and answered a few more things anyway!)
[Image: sig.gif]
Thanks for the reply; that's kinda cleared it up for me now. I was a little uncertain whether asking for - perhaps - a recurring trainer once or twice would be rude or unreasonable.
Sorry, but I also have one more question. I am aware of side quests that are predetermined (and I'm also aware this maybe a stretch to ask for) but what - used extremely sparingly of course - about custom side quests; perhaps writing a trainer/person into your RP who needs help. Perhaps to find something, or a pokemon, and return it to him/her? I know I'm pushing my luck, but I was interested in how far the flexibilty of TTRPG was.
Thanks again!
-akg377

Formerly akg377

If you want to write up an interaction with a made-up person as though it were a sidequest, you're welcome to do so and the mods shouldn't have any problem leading you through that; at this time, though, it wouldn't be able to offer you any actual prizes (though you could work battles into it as normal since you can already decide when you want to fight a trainer) the way a predetermined sidequest would.
(07-30-2013, 07:12 AM)Phoenixsong Wrote: ...wouldn't be able to offer you any actual prizes...

Oh, that's quite all right; I wasn't expected any Big Grin
Thanks for the clarification, and for being so nice about it!
-akg377

Formerly akg377

(07-30-2013, 07:12 AM)Phoenixsong Wrote: If you want to write up an interaction with a made-up person as though it were a sidequest, you're welcome to do so and the mods shouldn't have any problem leading you through that; at this time, though, it wouldn't be able to offer you any actual prizes (though you could work battles into it as normal since you can already decide when you want to fight a trainer) the way a predetermined sidequest would.

Much later on now, returning to this post. (Sorry if I should be making a new thread).

So, I assume you could also, like Riley in D/P/Pt, have someone follow you/go around with you for a short period of time in your RPG as a partner, rather than foe.

Or perhaps not, because I guess exp. would work a little funny.

Formerly akg377

I'll answer the second question first—only players get exp, so there wouldn't be any splitting. IIRC experience isn't split in partner situations in the games, either; I could be wrong about that, but it's most likely that we just wouldn't bother splitting and would give your pokémon all the experience earned.

Ordinarily I'd say that having a "partner" for a little while would be fine, but you'd really need to clear it with the mods first. Double battles are more tedious to update than single battles, and it would technically be easier on the mods if the "partner" you had traveling with you wasn't actually battling (you could describe them as helping you fend off the gang of thieves, for example, but there would be no actual calculation going on and it would strictly be a story thing). The mods would also have to be the ones deciding on the partner's moves. If the mods are okay with it then yes, technically you could work something out like that, but for at least the time being I would say that's not really something you should ask for.
Oh, yeah. Double Battle updates; forgot.
Thanks for the reply though, I need to consider what I really want to do with this.

Formerly akg377