The Daily Talk
1. Will just spend some time with family. Or, as I think of it, take time out of my wonderful break to waste on annoying assholes.
2. Terrible. The other semester just now was a little better, at least.
3. Windy. Looks like it's going to rain. I bet that nighttime will be hot enough to bother all the people in santa costumes out here, still.
4. 10! Couldn't wait for it. Now I've got a bunch of time for everything I didn't have time for during the semester.

Happy holidays to all.
So, as I may have mentioned earlier, my computer went in for repairs recently. It came back even more broken, though; the person was unable to repair the broken mouse, but wouldn't you know they'd reset my computer in the process of trying. Thankfully, all my documents, pictures, and music were left intact, but every program on my computer is gone, including my extremely expensive Microsoft Office applications. On the bright side, it's made my computer a lot tidier, so now I can get off on a better foot.

How is everyone else doing?
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
I'm still frustrated about this awkward rooming situation that was thrown at me at the very last minute. I can't contact this dude, and Residential Life was no help at all. I have enough crap to deal with at school, if they were going to give me a roommate, they should have told me sooner with reasonable means of communication provided. I couldn't be more upset about it.

I'm redesigning my side of the room to give myself more personal space. The bed's already really high, but my good friend is giving me a lift to raise it higher. I plan on setting up my computer area on a low makeshift table under the bed, and I will be draping sheets over the bed to conceal everything underneath. I'm doing this because I strongly desire have a closed off space that I can designate as my own, and also to block out the light from my computer screens (my roommate from last semester couldn't sleep because they were too bright).

I'm calling it the 'coding cave', for obvious reasons. If I really hate my roommate, I will at least have a sanctuary to myself, where I don't have to interact with him and can block out any noise with headphones. Hopefully this isn't the case, but I've decided to prepare for the worst. But besides acting as a resolution for a potentially bad rooming scenario I think it will be fun to make this work. Perhaps I will post pictures of the space when I am finished with it.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

Seeing as how the daily talk should be more or less daily, gonna bump this.

Just to get discussion rolling, what has everyone been upto lately? Any plans for Summer; vacation, work, or school?

As for myself, I'm pretty busy nowadays. For the Summer, I'm working weekdays 9-5 basically, and then working in a research lab for about 3 or 4 hours after that each day. Kinda sucks that I usually don't get home until about 12 hours after I leave to go to work and what not, but the money calls and the research is important for grad school and getting a job down the road. If anyone is interested, I can talk about my research a bit, but I won't get into that unless someone really really wants to know about it, haha. The only travel plans I have as of now are going up north two or three times, going to Atlanta in July, during which time I will turn 21, and maybe a trip to Cedar Point too. With the 12 hour days, the Summer oughta be exhausting to say the least so I don't have anything too crazy planned.
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

Wow. That is busy. I'd love to hear more about your research Chron.

I'm not doing any research this summer, but likewise, I have an 8 - 4:30 internship that I have to keep up with. I've mentioned it a million times before, just doing some more software stuff. I get to do some compsci research next semester, which will be a refreshing change from the software engineering world.

I've been doing a lot in my free time, and I have big goals for this summer. One is to work on my arduino robot, which funtions primarily as a traffic-conscious line follower. Doing some scratch spriting too, trying to figure out how to choose better colors. I've got some Amazon EC2 servers running, where I hope to run a rails application, gitlab, and maybe a private pixelmon instance. Oh, and I have a bunch of other sites to work on: my dad's business, robotics club, and two 'pseudosites'.

Thankfully, I have a lot of time on the weekends to keep my silly projects rolling. And I also need to take a chill pill and relax every once in a while. xD
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

Relaxing is definitely good, it's awesome to see that you have so many things to work on during your free time. The robot sounds awesome especially. Is that mostly for fun or are you working on it for your robotics club?

With regards to my research, the primary focus is the build a microscope. An Optical Resolution Photoacoustic Microscope, to be a little more precise. The general gist of how it will work starts with a laser pulse that will be sent to live mouse brain tissue. The light rays will excite the tissue, producing acoustic vibrations that will be detected by a device called an ultrasound transducer and converted through my program into a 16-bit grayscale image. If you recall me mentioned LabView in the chatbox, I'm essentially using that software to manage all of the devices involved with the data collection and to perform data analysis on the data to convert it to an image. I spent the Winter semester doing a lot of the machining of the microscope parts since it would have been really expensive to order a lot of them, and the LabView program is what I've spent the vast majority of the past two weeks on. Overall, it's really fun stuff to work on, but it's mostly self-learning since my colleague and research mentor don't seem to have a whole lot more experience working with a lot of the software and equipment than I do. I'd actually say I'm probably more proficient in LabView than both of them at this point. :X
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

I'mma gonna relax with dogs and lakes and books and bed and Dad-cooked food and no work to do.

I have plenty of games, so I shouldn't get bored.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Yeah, it should be daily, but it seems rather monthly. Maybe the posting spree will move it forwards a bit, don't you think?
Anyway, your subject for today is: WHat have you read recently?
I just finished Crichton's Jurassic Park, and I must say, it is a good read. Comparing it to the movie, they're pretty much en par, although I must say that the atmosphere was somehow better pictured in the novel, and the characters are so much better written (*Cough*Gennaro*Cough*). Their psychological portraits, relations between them and the different approaches to the sittuation is what keeps the whole thing together, even though they might get annoying after a while(*cough*Malcolm*cough*). Whole the scientific part of the book is easy to understand(Albeit partially not actual) and some of the additions like "screenshots"(Beacause I have no better name to effer to these) from computer screens depicted in the text are a nice taste, and from todays point of view, help to imagine how it all looked like in late 80's/early 90's.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
Kate Fox's 'Watching the English'. It's an anthropologists discovery of what 'Englishness' really is, via looking at all the little weird things the English get up to, our weirdo cultural ways, all put up for all to see against a backdrop of traditional English humour. Kate Fox herself is English. Hell, the book opens with her complaining about how she had to do her research, namely her discomfort at having to queue jump FOR SCIENCE. It's hilarious and highly informative and interesting; I recommend everyone read it if they can as fellow English will get the (dis)comfort of recognition while everyone else gets a closer look at why the English are so damn weird.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
Welp. Even though it's probably gonna be just a battle arena for posts between me and Kath, today's subject is:
Movies. What movies you saw recently in cinema/TV/whatnot.

I literally just came back home from "Minions". It was hillarious, 'nuff said.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
Keep in mind, that even though this is "the Daily Talk", the subject can change as often or as little as desired.

I'm gonna start with books. Here's what I've been reading:
-

Nothing. :(
The sad reality is that I still can't get motivated to pick up a book. I tried it last summer, only to give up halfway through the first chapter of Looking For Alaska by John Green. I'm sure it's a great book too,.. just can't get myself to ready anything really.

When I do finally find enough time and motivation, I definitely want to read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. That's been on my bucket list since high school, but I still haven't even read a page in the prelude. A little more urgent for me is to start looking at my Japanese reader, so that my Japanese skills don't get rusty for the fall.

And movies? Got nothin' there too. I don't really like movies much. I will admit that Minions looks interesting (I loved Despicable Me), but I probably won't see it until long after the fact.
~ Taav

Book was already mentioned. Movies? Not seen any movies lately, but being back with my parents means Friday movie night becomes a thing again. I'll keep you posted.

More pressing is that the battleground has been chosen.
It indeed has. Today we shall talk about:
Pets.

Personally I have three cats(Unspecified) and a dog(West Highland White Terrier), and I love them. Especially the cats, I'm more of a cat person. The dog(Goes by the name Leon) though has a terrible personality. Literally tries to kill anything that isn't my aunt. And cats... Are just cats, I guess?
I can't say too much here. I had a goldfish named Magikarp once, but he died. Then, I had a betta fish. Also died.

I'd love to have a pet that I can actually interact with, but I won't be able to until I move out, sadly. I'm more of a dog person, but I like cats too. And snakes, and rays, and lizards, and spiders... Probably wouldn't have all of those at once though. xD

I'm also too busy right now to own a pet. Plus, the dorm restrictions for pets kinda suck, and I'd hate to have to move a living creature with me every semester.
~ Taav
[Image: GziDAAU.png]

The only pet we have now is a dog. She's cute, sweet, pretty, but also a pain >.> The people that wanted her aren't willing to train her, and I can't be bothered because I'm hoping to move out an trying to not get overly attached. Aside from that, I'm an animal person, though my preference is toward cats <3

In the past, I've had many, many, many pets, ranging from cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits, a turtle, a guinea pig, while also raising many farm fowl (chickens, geese, ducks, quail, turkey)
I have my favorites, those I'd love to have again, but also those I never want around again >.> (Baby ducks are adorable. Adults can piss off. Filthy buggers)
Mum has a few fish in a tank and the family also has three horribly hairy hounds: two cavapoos (1/4 poodle) named Horris and Norris (we didn't name them) and one Patterdale/Jack Russell cross named Daisy. The boys are WAY more girly than the girl! Daisy's an extremely muscular, boistrous excitable maniac, Norris a squeaky demanding cuddlebug, and Horris an absolutely beautiful and well-behaved bundle of adorable. He's always getting pushed out by the others, and asks for cuddle in an actual polite, questioning way.

Dogs often have a particular person they call their own, even if they absolutely love everyone. Norris has Mum, Daisy has Dad...and Horris has Daisy. Not kidding.

The family has had a lot of dogs over the years, but the only ones I've known were Tasha (a pure-bred springer spaniel who was, in character, a less pushy and more cowardly Norris) and Socks (another Patterdale/Jack Russel cross whose hair was a lot more wirey than Daisy's). Socks was adorable, we got him as a puppy while I was a baby and he immediately decided I was his person. When I was a kid and got into trouble, he would often act up just to divert attention off me.

Socks was also a complete idiot and would often chew metal and wiring. We usually chained him up in a kennel in our garden when we went out and he'd usually chew a nail hammered into said kennel. We once came back to a house without power because the stupid animal chewed through the pond filter's power cable. He was a very...'special' little doggy.
I don't have any pets myself at the moment, since I've been in and out of dorms and won't be settling down anywhere for at least two years. My family has a couple of cats, though. My mom would really like a dog, but their subdivision has some weird rule where you're only allowed to keep a maximum of two pets, so she's SoL at the moment. I'm pretty sure the rule thing is just a flimsy excuse, though, and when I next go home they'll probably have adopted some canine or other. :P
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
I'm a cat person through and through. Must have inherited it from my grandmother, whom I don't think has ever had any less than three cats living with her. That said, I only have one tabby cat at home, called Nala (original, yes?) She's around 10, I think, but doesn't really look that old. She's still very healthy and hardly ever needs the vet. She is a rather small cat, though. My friend's kitten took only about a year to get bigger than her.

I also once kind of had a cat called Scruffy. I say kind of because she was a stray that just turned up on our doorstep one morning incredibly starved-looking. We took her to the vet and gave her food, but she was absolutely petrified of people and ran the instant she saw one. She lived around the house for a while, but eventually we stopped seeing her altogether.

Maybe it's too soon to be planning this already, but once I live on my own I'd like to have a black and a white cat, both boys, named Kerrigor and Yrael respectively. Awesome points to whoever gets the reference.
Good morning thread!

Today is the 2nd to last day of the posting spree, so I'd though we'd use this to talk about whatever comes to mind. You could talk about how your weekend went, or how your day is going, or pretty much anything else.

My weekend is pretty boring, so I'll skip that. Right now, I'm at work, though I probably won't have much to do for a little while. The application I've been working on since last summer has launched for beta testing, and I'll get word immediately when something breaks. I don't know how long it will be before someone tries to use the system, but as of now no one has touched it.

I have other things to work on in the meantime, though they're small fixes that probably won't take me very long. I'm going to implement a tagging system, some more advanced searching logic, and some other things - but everything I was initially asked to do has been finished. Hopefully I can move onto something new and refreshing soon.

How's everyone else doing?
~ Taav

HAPPY!

Canada is beautiful, it might storm soon (I'll be annoyed if it doesn't!), the dogs are adorable, both my parents are at work so I have the house to myself, it's all so wonderful! Except I have to do chores. C'mon, I just spent a year by myself in uni halls, thereby proving I can look after myself, why do I have to do chores? Would you demand a guest do chores? Goddammit.