The Daily Talk
(06-30-2013, 05:52 PM)Eve Wrote: I finally have a mandatory vacation from work XD. Can't figure out what to do on my spare time though.

Well, there's always netflix and stuff. Doodling is fun too, I usually do it in my free time.
I don't have a paying job yet, still volunteering at a local animal shelter and working with cats and dogs.
(07-01-2013, 10:33 AM)Novan Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 05:52 PM)Eve Wrote: I finally have a mandatory vacation from work XD. Can't figure out what to do on my spare time though.

Well, there's always netflix and stuff. Doodling is fun too, I usually do it in my free time.
I don't have a paying job yet, still volunteering at a local animal shelter and working with cats and dogs.

I'm trying to get someone to teach me how to draw XD

And that's awesome, what you do!
*poke*

So, how is everyone doing this July? For those of you on summer break from school, are you looking forward to your upcoming year?
I just started work and I'm loving it.

I'm brushing up on my C++ so that I can do some programming work. I may have to learn C# as well. I got a tour of all the cutters in the facility and I have a nice desk with a incredibly slow computer.

And it's incredible how laid back it is... at least right now anyway.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

So looking forward to school I might explode.
I can't wait for school too. I finally get a little freedom in choosing my own courses for once. But I have to start off with 4 courses instead of 5. I guess this makes sense, since I don't want to overload myself, but it's going to be hard choosing just 4 courses...

You can probably tell that I tend to overload myself, so perhaps this is a good thing.
~ Taav

I'm meh about school. More excited for my upcoming job in August though it's going to eat up my entire summer.

@ InsigO -- What courses are you taking?
[Image: sukibanner.png]

Dream Team

[sp=osgrave][sp=chaszin][sp=josuche][sp=caslot][sp=galaraud][sp=noperajina]
I'm pretty excited to go back to school. I had a great first year at Wayne State and miss a lot of the friends I made there, so it'll be great to be able to see them again. My course-load is going to be heavy again though. ;_;

Organic Chem I, Calculus-based Phsyics II, Statics, Engineering based Statistics, and Biomedical Engineering lab.

It sounds too good to be true. *sarcasm*
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

Hah. Those look like fun classes, but perhaps... not to take all at once. WSU does believe in the occasional elective, doesn't it?
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
(07-12-2013, 09:06 PM)Suki Wrote: I'm meh about school. More excited for my upcoming job in August though it's going to eat up my entire summer.

@ InsigO -- What courses are you taking?

I'm not registered for courses yet. This is what I would like to take:

Semester 1:
Multivariable Calculus (Math)
Applied Theory (Computer Science)
Quantum Physics (Physics)
Fundamentals of Biology (Biology)

Semester 2:
Linear Algebra II (Math)
Electromagnetism (Physics)
Computer Electronics (Physics)
Intro to Neuroscience (Neuro)
Algorithms (Computer Science)

Problem is, I highly doubt that they will let me enter some of those higher level courses. I would really hate to have to retake classes with material I covered in high school. It's annoying enough that I have to go through intro bio and neuro.

The physics department is really weird. I ended up getting a 4 on Classical Mechanics, but I have no clue if they will let me go on to Quantum with that score (the AP policy was incredibly ambiguous). If I don't take Quantum, I can't take E&M and Electronics, which are big interests of mine. Also, I had a 5 on AP Computer Science and passed a high school Discrete mathematics course, but I didn't get any college credit for the discrete, and even though I am familiar with Data Structures, the AP exam didn't cover them at all. I shouldn't even need to take Bio or Neuro because I got a 5 on the AP Biology exam and did a lot of textbook work for intro Neuroscience.

But at the same time, overloading on extreme courses is a bad idea. I meet with an adviser when I arrive for orientation, and that's when I will figure out what they will let me take, and if these specific combinations would be manageable. inb4 they want me to take a english course or something
~ Taav

(07-13-2013, 01:31 PM)Negrek Wrote: Hah. Those look like fun classes, but perhaps... not to take all at once. WSU does believe in the occasional elective, doesn't it?

Lol oh yes indeed, but I'm in the new Biomedical Engineering Program where I'm trying to fit 4 and a half years of classes into just 4 years, so most of my electives won't be coming until my final few semesters or will have to be taken during the Summer, unfortunately. Last semester's schedule was a little worse, believe it or not. Well maybe not worse than phsyics and orgo at the same time, but I'm just relieved I don't have another Honors class (I'm doing University Honors as well), in which I typically had a few huge papers to write a semester, a burden I can live without this next semester. :P
Pokémon Turquoise

Trying to do four and a half years in four years? y u do this?

Trust me, man, college is pretty much your last hurrah before all the complete suckage of adult life gets dumped on you. You don't want to make it go by any faster than you absolutely have to. (Unless the issue is finances in which case yes, I concede.)
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
Lol well for the most part, my full tuition scholarship only lasts four years, so I'm trying to make as much use of it as I can. xD

But don't worry, I'm still getting my fill of fun with college. Summer has been pretty fun so far, asides from work, and I've still found time for you guys. School will be a bit rougher since I'll be doing things here and joining a fraternity, so I'll still make time for living haha.
Pokémon Turquoise

Works been good overall, sometimes it's a bit boring because I don't get a ton of work all the time. But right now, I have a coding project I'm working on in C++, which is keeping me working the entire time. Yesterday I had an 11 hour work day that I spent writing and improving code. I actually don't have any background in C++, which makes this even more interesting as I try to learn pointers, containers, data structures, include guards, adding libraries, and everything else that other languages don't have. That being said, I still prefer Python and Ruby, but the internship is really making me like C++ too, just because it has a lot of programming power.

We can only take 5 classes max each semester, so I won't have to worry about overloading. I do, however, plan on taking Summer classes and catch up work so that I can move ahead at my own pace. There's no engineering at my college (which is kinda an iffy thing since I could go an engineering route), so I may just focus on Engineering in the Summer and leave other academics for the school year.

I never quite understood frats, to be honest. I don't plan on joining one when I go, but who knows?
~ Taav

*bump*

This time of year is always extremely busy since many people are starting school at this time. How are you all managing so far?

As for me, I'm fairly stressed out, but I'm loving my first semester of college regardless. The courses I'm taking are all fairly challenging, and that serves to motivate me to do well. Life has been pretty tough for the past few weeks because I'm not used to so many long-term assignments at once. Over the past few weeks, I've had a history paper, several lab reports for both Computer Science and Biology, and I'm currently preparing for my third exam. I mentioned the history paper when I created the essays and papers thread, and I'm happy to say that I didn't completely bomb that paper.... I got a B. Not bad for a first submission (I was expecting a C or even a D), but I do want an A, so I will be working as diligently as I can to bring that up with my final submission.

I had my first bio exam today, and I was nervous as hell. The test covered a pretty wide variety of content in great detail, which mean that I had to do a ton of studying to do well. I'm confident that I did reasonably well, though it isn't easy to tell... As far as difficulty goes, the questions were extremely specific, AP Biology doesn't even come close in comparison.

I hope you all are hanging in there too!
~ Taav

Ehh, definitely a lot to handle for a semester, so good luck with your continued efforts Isaac, I know you'll do great!

A lot has been happening for myself, recently. I've attended the weddings of two of my cousins in the past month and a half, my girlfriend moved to Lansing a few days ago and will be there for three months, and I got pinned for the fraternity I'm pledging to last night. And to top it all off, school has been shoving test after test down my through, but luckily I've been able to spit them right back out and perform well.

For the class relating to my major, 2910 Biomedical Engineering Lab, I just got a new project too, in which I need to design a rehabilitative pulley-weight system to suspend patient arms in the air, allowing them to work and build their muscles without the heavy burden of gravity. It mainly be to help those in wheel chairs with muscle atrophy, so I'm actually looking forward to designing and prototyping stuff for it.
Pokémon Turquoise

A nice little bump?

How's everyone's school year going? Did you have a good Halloween? Have any nice plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas? Share! Tell me more about your lives. =)
Pokémon Turquoise

I literally slept through Halloween, from sunrise to sunset. I do not regret it though.

Anyway, I've been having a great school year so far. My classes are challenging, but I have a lot more time to spend than I did in high school. My parents visited this weekend (they actually just left), so I've been spending a lot of time with them.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

This is my first semester in high school. It's been amazing; yesterday was my field day, and I've finally made some advances on my crush. All of the classes are really interesting, and I've had a blast.
[Image: goomy-2.gif]

OOC: 1000th post, woot, yay, party! :P

Sound like things are going good anyways, Isaac. Keep up the studying and you'll get the results that you want. If there's one thing you learn from college about academics, it's that studying is almost a necessity, so you always have to try and make some room for it.

ILS, it's good to see that you are having a great time in high school. It's definitely one step up from middle school, and you'll most likely forget about half of the things that happened there when you go to college, but it can produce some of the best times of your life if you actively get involved and enjoy it. I hope that you continue to enjoy your experiences there, and that things go well with your crush! Feel free to share some stories of your experiences with us whenever you'd like. =)

As for myself, I've been extreeeemely busy this semester, if some of you haven't noticed yet. On top of academics, being social outside of school and here, Turquoise, among other things, I've been pledging a professional engineering fraternity. I have to say, it's a very long process that you need a lot of patience for, but once it's over I should be back to my usual activity here.
Pokémon Turquoise