Quick Question Thread
Just wondering a little about the restrictions on the "Raesvelg's Sea Legs" sidequest. The way it reads now, it sounds like you can only complete the battle once each time you earn a new badge, plus once before you have any badges. Is that correct? Because that means that I'd need to schlep out there before/after every single one of my badges, even if I have nothing else I'm interested in doing on that island. That's a bit of a hassle, especially considering you'd be dropping money on round-trip ferry tickets every single time, as surf isn't available. And if I forget to revisit the area after a badge then oops I'm never going to be able to get the waterfall HM ever? Seems kinda harsh.

If you can in fact do the event any number of times before badges, but only up to the number of badges you currently hold(?), then I think it might be better to reword the OOC text a little to make that more clear.
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
To my understanding, you don't have to go back every time you earn a badge. You can come back after 3 badges and do the sidequest three times in a row. However, I do think it's a bit iffy to have to beat the sidequest 9 times to simply get waterfall. I'll discuss it with Phoenixsong, as it might be better to award the HM after 4 or 5 completions of the sidequest instead.
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

It took a minute to remember what I'd been going for there, but currently only the rewards based on the pokémon you're facing (in other words, the ones you can get elsewhere anyway) are supposed to be missable; you can fight as many times in a row/between badges as you're currently allotted, so it's still possible to fight nine times and get waterfall even if you do it all at once at the end. Sorry for the confusion; I'll reword it when I get back from work.

I think I went with nine times for waterfall because it is traditionally a late-game HM, but considering there are no waterfalls at all in the region (yet, anyway, some might appear in some sidequests/jobs later) it's essentially an 80-power TM and isn't worth waiting that long for. We can lower the conditions for it, sure.

Thanks for the catch!
[Image: sig.gif]
I think I'll just stick this here, since it's just another request for clarification.

When you're IRPing with someone, you close your own thread and start posting in someone else's, yes? So that means for all the time that you're RPing together, you're not able to advance either of your individual journeys, correct?
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Correct. And you don't necessarily close your thread. You simply mark the prefix as inactive so that mods know not to bother with it. Which is the same reason for marking the prefix as IRP for the thread you are sharing. ^_^

No progress is made, however.
Pokémon Turquoise

Eh, well, in that case I do have a suggestion. Would put it in the other thread, but it's more relevant here for now, so...

I think you should just make IRP's totally separate from normal journey threads, and allow them to run in parallel. There doesn't appear to be any mod involvement in an IRP session, so it's not as though people who choose to have one would be taking up more mod time by running two journey threads simultaneously, their normal one on top of an IRP. I get the feeling that IRP really isn't attractive at the moment because it means you have to put the brakes on advancing your team and other RP goals while you play out a small scene with someone else. IRP's are probably going to take a fairly long time, just by the nature of trying to coordinate serious RP updates between two people and the assumption that you're going to want to play a scenario that takes more than ~3 posts per person to complete, so I think there would be a real feeling that you're "falling behind" while taking time off to do an IRP, and in the end you wouldn't have anything concrete to show for it.

There's also the complications that arise because even when you have two people in the same area, the way the system is currently set up they both have to be idle (i.e. not battling, doing sidequests, or anything similar) because one player is going to have to come into the other's thread, so they can't be in the middle of a battle or something when this other person starts posting RP in there. Let's say, for example, that I'm in Shurdlu Town and want to IRP with someone. Phoenixsong says cool, I'd love to have my character irritate your character for a while, and I'm in Shrdlu too. Oh, but I'm in a battle, so I'm going to have to wrap that up first. If it's a fairly speedy battle--say just four more rounds to finish--it could still easily take a week to finish up. So while she's doing that I just have to sit there and not do anything in my thread, because if I start something, then I'm probably not going to have finished it by the time Phoenixsong's done with her battle, and then she'll have to wait for me. The chances of any two players both being free at the same time is relatively small unless they plan ahead a fair amount and/or the mods are working to make it happen. This makes it a big hassle to even get together to do an IRP (ignoring the geographic restriction, which at least becomes a bit less of a pain once you've explored a fair number of places and can just "warp" to wherever), and increases the amount of time you're missing out on ordinary journey benefits still further.

And I don't see any particular protocol suggesting what gets done if one person in an IRP thread suddenly drops off the face of the internet and leaves their partner hanging, which will happen. In that case you have somebody stuck in an IRP session probably waiting at least a week or two to see if their partner shows up again, during which time they can neither advance their main journey nor do any IRPing in the meantime. This makes IRPing even more risky--not only will you definitely not get anything to help you out with your main RP goals, but you might not get to do any actual IRP, either--that adds an unpleasant "feel-bad" element to the IRP idea.

Ultimately, I think keeping IRP's strictly separate from normal journeys would solve all these problems nicely. First, you can keep RPing as normal in your main thread, so you don't have to take a month-long detour from your training--or worse, a forum special event or competition or whatever--to have an RP snowball fight with your friend or similar. Second, you mitigate some of the two-body problem by not having to worry about if one of the people interested in playing is in the middle of something when you're able to arrange to play together. And finally, it means that if somebody drops the ball in the IRP thread, the other player can still keep doing their normal journey thing without penalty and just kind of pretend that the IRP thread never happened.

In summary, I think that the IRP rules should be changed such that:

1) You can continue your normal journey while participating in an IRP thread
2) IRP threads are kept totally separate from "normal" journey threads, instead of having one person adding posts to another person's thread

All things said and done, I think that unless you actively incentivize it in some way (e.g. "do X IRP threads and get Y cool thing") you're probably going to see next to nobody doing it, one way or another, but the way the rules are set up now I think the way they read, to anybody interested in actually getting somewhere in their main journey before the start of the next ice age, is "do not attempt."

and oops, well, that didn't look quite as long in my head, but there you go. sorry

Don't worry about the length haha, I think it's filled with quite a lot of good points that I can agree with for most parts. With the IRP prefix, I definitely think the IRP alteration you have in mind is doable, and it's definitely a very fair suggestion. My only worry would be that IRP threads would be rather cluttered together with the main adventure threads, making things a bit unorganized, but that's more of a pet peeve than a reason to oppose taking such action. I do think you've made clear and good points, so I'll wait to see what the other administrator have to say on the matter.
Pokémon Turquoise

I have absolutely no objections to allowing IRPs to remain separate from and run concurrently with regular adventures.

Honestly, I have wanted to add some sort of incentive or other to IRPing for a while—if nothing else it'd make it a more cohesive part of the actual game as opposed to just a tangential side thing—so that is at least in my far-off plans, although nothing's been discussed yet. I'm not entirely sure what, though, as the two styles of RP are fairly different. I'll keep mulling it over because I totally agree that something should be there eventually. (If nothing else I don't see why those happiness "bonding session" things couldn't be counted somehow in IRP, but again, there's been no discussion as to specifics.)

As far as clutter goes, worst comes to worst there could be subforums in each area dedicated to IRP, but I don't think that'd become an issue unless IRP became overwhelmingly popular. It's not something we'd be likely to need in the near future.
For your information, Negrek, as well as the rest of Turquoise's, the IRP method has thoroughly been modified due to the suggestion you proposed. I hope everything is to your liking and I hope you enjoy any new stories you are able to write up now as a result of the new IRP system. ^_^

Check the Getting Started Guide and IRP Society Thread for more info.
Pokémon Turquoise

Yeah, looks nice!

As far as the matter of incentive goes, Phoenixsong, yeah, it's a little thorny. Ideally you'd want something that's desirable enough that people would be enticed to give IRP a try, even if they ordinarily wouldn't, but at the same time you can't have something so good or necessary for journey progression that people feel like they have to take part in order to succeed in their adventuretga, or where they'll sign up solely to get the prize and probably won't really engage with the concept along the way.

The happiness evolution thing could definitely work, although it might be kinda wonky because in an IRP I wouldn't necessarily expect there to be a lot of one-on-one character bonding between a player and their team... generally I would expect there to be more of an emphasis on the interaction between one player/their pokémon and the other player(s) in the RP. On the whole I think you'd be looking either for something that is kind of cool and exclusive to IRP, or something that's highly desirable and fairly difficult to get in the main RP that you'd be able to get earlier/easier through a series of IRP threads. Something like "shiny shampoo" could potentially work as an IRP-exclusive item, for example, though I have no idea how you'd flavor that. In the vein of items that are difficult to get in the RP or otherwise limited, logos stones would be an example, although that's something quite storyline-relevant unless I'm 800% tone-deaf on where the plot is going, here, so I don't think you'd want to just drop them on people for their threads about going out for coffee with random trainer X. But something similarly rare/restricted and genuinely useful could work, if it were easier for someone to get through IRP than through normal adventuring. All else fails, money is a solid, if uninspiring, choice; people always appreciate more money and the ability to choose what goods or services it turns into.

Another potential option would be some achievement(s) related to IRP, if/when you get the achievement system running. Seems like exactly the kind of thing achievements are for, really.

In the end I think remuneration should be determined at least in part by what you want to actually do with the IRP system, of course. If you don't really give a crap about whether people participate in IRP or not, no reward necessary; the people who are interested to begin with will do it, and the ones who aren't, won't. On the other hand, you'd want some sort of prize if you hoped to entice some people who otherwise wouldn't care about it to give it a shot, expand their horizons, whatnot. It would be a different kind of prize than if you instead wanted to promote IRP as more a kind of educational or "improve your RP" thing, though in that case you'd also probably want some more extensive infrastructure for the system as well.

List of prize options:
Revive, Rare Candy, "special" pokeballs, Shiny Shampoo, the standard evolutionary stones for early game, maybe some harder-to-obtain-but-somewhat-desirable pokemon? (Like the "Contest-stat" evolution pokemon possibly?)

There could be "Missions" that IRPers can take that result in these prizes (that maybe the admins over-look and follow even if no mod action is required) where the people involved have to work together to find the item or pokemon or something. If they can avoid just Godmodding the thing into their hands, they get a prize? The missions could serve as Prompt ideas for the RPing itself should the people choose to take them on.

Or achievements with small prizes like super-potions or something for having an IRP between 2-3 people going certain number of pages (with the page number increasing for larger numbers of people?) or something like that?

I don't know, I'm spit-balling a bit. Seeing if any of it will stick.
[sp=osgrave] [sp=ibazel] [sp=distrike] [sp=arctangel] [sp=cerisol] ( [sp=paracordis] () [sp=vaquerado] )
Quote:There could be "Missions" that IRPers can take that result in these prizes (that maybe the admins over-look and follow even if no mod action is required) where the people involved have to work together to find the item or pokemon or something. If they can avoid just Godmodding the thing into their hands, they get a prize? The missions could serve as Prompt ideas for the RPing itself should the people choose to take them on.
I agree. I think a little more structure for IRP's might be nice, especially for anyone who's fairly new to doing that kind of RP. As it is, you do sort of end up with a situation like, "Well, so we have characters. Wat do?" It would also allow you to kind of theme prizes a little, like kitsune_xiii pointed out, or perhaps offer a greater diversity of them.

Buuut I know you guys are already busy with coming up with scenarios for the main RP, and you have rather more pressing concerns in that realm, like how to distribute surf and fly. If you need ideas, though, I'd be happy to throw a few out there. may or may not involve zombie swamp pirates

We could definitely try to throw in some objectives and achievements for Interactive RP when the time comes. As of now, you are right in that we have other things to handle first, but ideas and suggestions are where people always start to stand out, so anything is quite appreciated. We are always looking to expand the number of things to keep players busy in general, so feel free to PM any suggestions to either myself or Phoenixsong.

With regards to the rewards for doing certain things with IRP, we can try to come up with something once given the chance to meet and talk about everything, but I can tell you now that we don't plan on handing out any shiny-fying items in the near future. Yes, we would like that all members can access shiny Pokémon one way or another, but an item like that is too rare to become easily accessible early on or before any major events or promos. There is a currently a low chance of finding actually shiny wild Pokémon, like in the games (though it's a much better chance than you may think), so we'll definitely have users coming across shiny Pokémon at some point or another soon. The rest of the stuff, like I said, will be discussed. ^_^
Pokémon Turquoise

Would it be at all possible to get a yea or nay on counting IRP sessions that heavily involve interacting with a particular pokémon as "bonding sessions" for the purpose of raising happiness? Just got a brainwave that I think would let "bond with my pokémon" be a nice framing device for some fun little IRP plots, but if they can't be used that way I'd prefer to explore other options instead.

I think it's a definite possibility. It'd be hard to judge how much happiness to give based on an IRP session, but I have something in mind so I'll get back to you on this as soon as possible. ^_^
Pokémon Turquoise

whoah look at that, mysterious title change

Anyway, I was just wondering how the pickup ability works 'round these parts.

Apropos of nothing, dustley is listed as being found on Route 606 on the wiki, but not on Route 606's actual Noticeboard thread.

I'm not too sure about the pickup ability myself since it's not on the list of abilities that differ in the RPG. As for the Dustley, though, that mistake is on the wiki since it is not available on Route 606 anywhere. I've gone and removed it so it should be right now.
Pokémon Turquoise

Pickup should basically work as it normally does (10% chance of finding an item after battle, gains a copy of an opponent's consumed item), but I think I forgot to make/choose s pickup item table when I redid some of the other moves like camouflage. I'll get on that. Probably won't differ too much from whatever it is in BW2, though.
Okay, great, thanks.

Another little thing. Is teleport usable outside of battle in the RP, and if so, how does it work? I mean, it's totally canon that Treg's natu was able to warp him from one entire island to a different one, so... eh? Eh?? *eyebrowdance*

Edit: And bonus question--if I were to choose an unown for my birthday promo, would I be able to choose its forme as well?

(( Incidentally, Phoenixsong, as I've been meaning to tell you in the chatbox for a while but haven't been able to since you're never in the chatbox </3, I really enjoyed your opening storyline post, and also Treg is adorable. Incidentally, were you planning to link that page anywhere? Because right now it is almost literally impossible to find for anybody who didn't happen to see the link on a single word of a past TA, and it seems like something that should be a little more... prominent. ))

To be perfectly honest, I think we forgot about teleport. For now I'm going to say it's not usable at all outside of battle, but I'll get back to you when I think on it some more. (Treg's is going to be capable of a bit more than most people's for a number of reasons so his isn't the best example to go by. Generally speaking I see no reason to disallow teleport for players entirely, though, so the moratorium is temporary until I know what the heck I'm doing with it.)

I'm glad you enjoyed the intro! It is in fact linked to on the main "New Logora" page of the wiki, but I admit I haven't done much to push that or make it a bit more prominent because I've been so bogged down by getting used to Having A Job and Being An Adult, etc..

You lucked out with Kutho, I'll have you know. There's a reason they call me the "cbox shiny" on OI. >)