Pokemon 20th Anniversary Thread
As you all probably know by now, Pokemon is celebrating it's 20th anniversary. That's pretty huge, especially for something many of us assumed to be just a fad back in grammar school. For me in particular, I was only 1 when the first Pokemon game came out in 1996, so you could say I literally born with Pokemon. Feels weird, now that I think about it.

[Image: pikachu_through_the_ages_by_pelicanxplumber.png]

This thread is a general purpose thread for sharing and discussing the many events and upcoming games spawned by the new year, but also to share your experiences with Pokemon from the very beginning.

Upcoming things to be excited about:

Detective Pikachu - Who says Meowth is the only talking Pokemon? Detective Pikachu is a 3DS Spinoff game, starring a Pikachu who just so happens to be a detective. Not much is known about it yet, but it's a stunning reveal regardless and a nice way to celebrate Pikachu in a new light.

New Products - From special New 3DS's with preinstalled Pokemon Red and Blue to figures and plushies, there's a lot of new stuff available to buy. I'm personally excited for the New 3DS, which I will be getting so long as FE Fates doesn't get a New 3DS bundle.

Get Mythical Pokemon! - Starting in Feburary, every event only Pokemon from each generation will become available for roughly a month. Means of obtaining each legendary vary from Gamestop distribution to Nintendo Network download, and will work for all copies of Pokemon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

We have Pokken Tournament on the way, and a full year ahead of us. I think it's going to be a good year. To start the discussion off, share your first Pokemon game, your favorite experience(s) from the Pokemon franchise, and what you're looking forward to for this anniversary.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

Hey! Don't forget the supposed Big Thing, Taav. Which is Pokemon Go!, of course.
But yeah. I'm really excited about most of the stuff coming this year(Even if most likely there will be no new main series game), especially the aformentioned AR app, since, you know, I had experience with such things, and even if it doesn't make you go away from the smartphone, it's still an active activity, and a really fun way to spend time. Sorta like Geochaching(Does anyone even do that, these days).
Kinda disappointed we're not getting anything special in the TCG department though. Outside Kanto Starter collection boxes and the Mythical Pokemon monthly blisters, the whole Generations set seems to be just most recent japanese cards we won't get. Oh well. It's just the beggining of the year though, there are already many good things as Taav mentioned, and there'll be much more to com in the 11 next months.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
(01-29-2016, 05:10 AM)Taav Wrote: As you all probably know by now, Pokemon is celebrating it's 20th anniversary. That's pretty huge, especially for something many of us assumed to be just a fad back in grammar school. For me in particular, I was only 1 when the first Pokemon game came out in 1996, so you could say I literally born with Pokemon. Feels weird, now that I think about it.

[Image: pikachu_through_the_ages_by_pelicanxplumber.png]

This thread is a general purpose thread for sharing and discussing the many events and upcoming games spawned by the new year, but also to share your experiences with Pokemon from the very beginning.

Upcoming things to be excited about:

Detective Pikachu - Who says Meowth is the only talking Pokemon? Detective Pikachu is a 3DS Spinoff game, starring a Pikachu who just so happens to be a detective. Not much is known about it yet, but it's a stunning reveal regardless and a nice way to celebrate Pikachu in a new light.

New Products - From special New 3DS's with preinstalled Pokemon Red and Blue to figures and plushies, there's a lot of new stuff available to buy. I'm personally excited for the New 3DS, which I will be getting so long as FE Fates doesn't get a New 3DS bundle.

Get Mythical Pokemon! - Starting in Feburary, every event only Pokemon from each generation will become available for roughly a month. Means of obtaining each legendary vary from Gamestop distribution to Nintendo Network download, and will work for all copies of Pokemon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

We have Pokken Tournament on the way, and a full year ahead of us. I think it's going to be a good year. To start the discussion off, share your first Pokemon game, your favorite experience(s) from the Pokemon franchise, and what you're looking forward to for this anniversary.

I actually hated Pokemon when it first came out.

I'm the kind of person who loathes having something shoved in his face, which is exactly what happened with Pokemon back in '96. Nintendo shoved Pokemon into every nook and cranny of the market; literally everyone was talking about it - not just lovers and haters but everyone in between them as well. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing something about Pokemon, couldn't watch a show without a half-dozen commercials about Pokemon, couldn't go online without seeing a pop-up about...yup, you guessed it: Pokemon.

After it had been out for a couple of years, however, my grandmother brought me something I'd never had: a GameBoy Colour. With it, she brought Pokemon Blue & Pokemon Red. I decided, "Well, what the hell? I'll check them out."

So I did. They weren't bad games. I still didn't see the hype at the time, but they weren't bad. Skip forward a few years, and I've got the original trilogy as well as Stadium 1 & 2 for the N64. I wasn't necessarily obsessed, mind; I'm just a bit of a completionist. I was told that I was stupid for trading Crystal for Yellow, but I didn't particularly care and didn't appreciate being called stupid either. I did so because, as I said, I'm a bit of a completionist - and in my opinion, having Yellow allowed me to complete my original collection. It's partly the same reason that I have six Syphon Filter games (although I also love those games...I should really play them again, actually; haven't done so in a while...)

I ended up catching and evolving almost all of the original 151. Machamp I could get in-game because there's an NPC in the original games who would trade you a Machoke for...something. I forget what. Mankey or something, probably. I don't recall. But I couldn't get Gengar, Alakazam, or Golem because I didn't have a link cable and didn't have anyone to trade with. (Can you believe kids today don't even know what a link cable is? Geez, children, at least learn your gaming history!) I had managed to catch Mewtwo but I was nowhere near any of the events to get Mew.

So basically, I had all but four Pokemon in the game - and every single one of them was at level 100. Yes, I even had an L100 Magikarp, of all things. I was trading between Stadium and my games because the N64 had a device you could plug into your controller that you could in turn plug your GBC Pokemon games to, so I managed to have each form of every Pokemon I'd caught separately (e.g. I had a Rhydon and a Rhyhonrn).

Unfortunately, someone broke into my house at one point and stole my Pokemon stuff. Whoever it was also backed into our garage and used the damaged door as a means by which to get their hands on my SNES and all the games I had stored out there, plus controllers, etc. Yeah...you could say I was royally pissed off. Never got the shit back and never will.

But with the 3DS at my disposal, I was able to get back into the games again without using a ROM. I got Black & White from Trade-A-Game, a local gaming shop. I later bought OR from Target and a couple other games from Trade-A-Game as well.

As for the newer stuff...I dunno about Detective Pikachu. I'd rather have another Pokemon as the star of such a game, but that's just because I'm weary of Pikachu. It's certainly an adorable Pokemon but it's been used so much that it just feels forced now...and like I said, I don't like anything being shoved in my face. Besides, I'd rather have a Raichu; if you train it right, it's just as fast as a Pikachu and much more powerful.

As for distribution...will it cost to download? 'cause if so, I'll almost certainly not be able to get anything - and Game Stop is all the way on the other side of town from me...
One dark night in the middle of the day,
two dead boys went out to play.
Back to back, they faced each other,
drew their swords, and shot each other.
A deaf policeman heard the shot
and came and got them two dead boys.
If you don’t believe this story that’s true,
ask any blind man; he saw it, too.

[spoiler=Vocabularic Genius & Wisdom]
Favorite Words
Agathokakological, Deleterious, Discombobulated, Existential Cessation, Impugn,
Irascible, Poetaster/Poeticule/Poetling, Rodomontade, Schadenfreude, Transmorgrify

Percussive Maintenance: When you beat something until it works. (Shan, Imythess C-Box)

[Image: ruur2ot.gif]

It’s better to die quick fighting on your feet than to live forever begging on your knees.

Judge not another by hir stature, especially when hir stick is bigger than yours.

The American way is lost.
There is only the commercial way,
which has become a communist capitalism
concealed behind a thin veil of democracy.
[/spoiler]
I couldn't care less about Detective Pikachu (seriously, I get that he's the mascot but he's nowhere near my favourite mon and is so sickly sweet it's disgusting), but the event re-releases have got me super stoked! I came into the series super late, got White for cheap and loved it. But then again, I play games for story, and Black/White has the most involved story of any main series Pokemon game. White 2 was a decent sequel, since it was a follow up, but X...actually rather disappointed me, since it threw back to more traditional Pokemon storytelling.

This was about events, wasn't it. Heh heh.

This is, I've barely been able to get any events. I was completely unable to get any from about White back, and the rest are because I've either been away from my 3DS, unable to connect, and/or unable to get to where I need to be. The way events were distributed (go to a specific store) is all fine and dandy for the Japanese, who are so closed in to one another that what they'd need is practically just down the road, and they can be certain that another player is rarely more than five feet away from them. Not so for England, where we pry so little into others affairs that it's impossible to find other fans, and not so for North America, where you need to be able to drive to get to places because everything is just so pread out.

I can't drive. I have no idea where the nearest GameStop is, or even if there is one close enough that'll do the distribution. I highly doubt my parents'll be willing to drive me even if there was such a store. I have never seen a GameStop in Britain in my life. I have barely any of the events (I have a shiny Mew I got via Pokefarm for Pokefarm currency). I am super stoked for what'll come through the Wi-Fi, since I have my 3DS with me (even if most of my games are in storage), I have X on one of my SD cards somewhere I can access, and I think my Pokemon Bank subscription has enough time on it that the first few can be immediately banked so I won't lose them. SO HAPPY. Will I finally be able to get Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Victini? Can I finally complete the Muskateers? Not to mention the rest.

SO AWESOME.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]