2 cool 4 school
great thread name amirite?

Welp, it's that time of year again, love it or hate it! Whether you're just starting middle school or finishing college, jump in to share your school experiences with the rest of us.

I'm personally super excited to be back at school for my junior year of college! Classes are pretty simple this semester: a theory class in computer science, a seminar in evolutionary biology, 3rd term Japanese and a Linguistics class. I don't have a fifth class, and will instead be doing CS research, which should be fun.

Also on my bucket list of things to do - I've submitted a request to start a Robotics club at my school. We lack any sort of engineering at our school, and I think having something a little more technical-oriented would be a opportunity to have on campus. That, and I just wanna build some cool stuff with friends.

Also gonna try to resume fencing, and I also apparently the president of anime club now, so I guess I have to revive that. I've got a 10-hr work week, though most of my hours are on the weekend, so my weekdays are looking pretty lax right now.

Right now, my plan is to graduate with a CS major, Japanese and Physics minors, and hopefully I'll be able to study abroad in Japan before I leave. However, it's most certainly going to have to be during the Summer, since my major doesn't offer enough classes to provide any sort of flexibility, sadly.

Today was the first day of classes, which was exciting as usual. When do the rest of you start?
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

Simple, Issac? You call those simple? Good grief. XD I'm having enough trouble the first three days (not to mention this whole week) with my classes. It won't be much to you, but I'm taking Stats, Calculus II, Physics I (calc-based, of course... *sigh*), and Intro to Programming when I know diddly-squat about anything.... And the programming teacher put a ton of homework on us. x3 Though, with half of you guys and your classes, I doubt it would take any of you more than 5 minutes to what I'm struggling with. XD lol. Plus, he's kinda making it where I really should only ask my classmates, the TA, and the Professor himself, so..... XD

That's a cool this to have a club like that. And for some odd reason, that reminded me of something. Did we already have a thread that talked about these topics? I'm thinking Chron started it.. *shrugs* Oh well...

Oh! Physics! You can help me with mine! XDD Ooohhhh.. Fencing? That's neat; I'd like to learn actual swordsmanship.. Blacksmithing (sp?) would be neat, too. x3 Good luck with anime club.

School/Uni(versity)/college/whatever you want to call it started last week on Wednesday (in the middle of the week!) for me. Made it kinda difficult to adjust to and stuff like that... About as bad as starting on a Thursday (I'm assuming that what's what happened for you, Issac?).
3school5cool

Here in NZ the school year begins in late January/early February, so right now those at high school are in 3rd semester, while those who are going to Uni are currently in the middle of a two-week break. As for myself, I belong to neither group. Coming back from Japan I didn't want to start at Uni halfway through the year, so I've decided to wait until next year and work a bit to earn money and prepare. Thankfully I was quickly able to find employment, even if it is only McDonald's.

I originally wanted to go to a University quite far from here so I could major in Astronomy (plus Physics), but my financial situation means I have to put that on hold for another year. Instead, I'll be going to my local Uni next year and doing a year of Physics, which I can carry over when I switch schools. I'm a little disappointed, as I was really looking forward to the new Uni dorm lifestyle, but I can see why this has to be done.

Sounds like both of you are quite busy with all your classes, especially Taav and your clubs. It makes me feel a little bad, just lounging around home almost all day.
(08-27-2015, 10:26 PM)Eonrider Wrote: 3school5cool
Basically all there is to be said.

I didn't get very overwhelming classes this year, compared to how my schedules have been. I'm in my sophomore year, and this is my first time back in public school for two years, so this should be somewhat interesting. I hear that sophomore year is somewhat notorious for being terrible, but I guess we'll see. I don't have a freshman year to compare it to, so maybe its suckiness will go right over my head!

I got put into precalculus, AP world history, English II, German I, and health. Health is just to knock that credit out so I can have interesting electives the rest of my time in high-school; also, I did world history last year, but apparently this is for a different high school credit and it's worth a college credit, so it's not too poor a trade-off. I also did English II last year, but due to school-transfer shenanigans, my freshman English credit doesn't count, but for sake of simplicity they're just putting me in English II since that's what most kids my age are doing, and it'll still count as a credit.

I also have a spot that's, as of yet, fairly ambiguous. My original goal was to get into string ensemble, but of course I've never touched an orchestra instrument, so we'd asked if they'd let me in anyway. The answer was yes, but I'd have to take beginner's band for a year first. Which is way too much of a hassle, so I decided just to drop it and take private lessons in college or something.

I think for the time being, that slot has been replaced with computer animation (note: in the computer animation class, they also teach game design, so it sounds like a pretty cool class if you ask me), and if all else fails, fundamentals of art. I'm really on the fence about fundamentals of art; the deal is that you can't go into any more advanced art classes until you take it, but I've already done it three times and it's never counted. Buuut if I do, then in my senior year I can take AP drawing, so it might be worth it. I'm not sure. All of this was dumped on me exactly one (1) week before school was slated to start, so I've had to make these super important decisions really quickly and I'm still left wondering if I made the right ones.

e:
(08-27-2015, 09:37 PM)Kaelyn Wrote: And for some odd reason, that reminded me of something. Did we already have a thread that talked about these topics? I'm thinking Chron started it.. *shrugs* Oh well...
Yeah, we did. Actually, Taav himself started it. It's right here. He may have made another one in order to prevent clutter or something, I don't know. Don't question it. He's an admin.
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
Dazel Wrote:
(08-27-2015, 09:37 PM)Kaelyn Wrote: And for some odd reason, that reminded me of something. Did we already have a thread that talked about these topics? I'm thinking Chron started it.. *shrugs* Oh well...
Yeah, we did. Actually, Taav himself started it. It's right here. He may have made another one in order to prevent clutter or something, I don't know. Don't question it. He's an admin.

Yes, don't question me! But if you do, I shall direct you to the bumping topics rule:
Da Rules Wrote:Bumping means to post a thread that is relatively old. The cut off here at Turquoise is three months, so please, do not bump threads older than three months if it is clear that the discussion is dead. If you are unsure of whether bumping something is okay, please send a private message to one of the forum staff members..

Penalty: Upon first offense, we'll simply remind you not to bump. Repeated bumps will result in 1 Warning point - Expires in 30 days

I've never been a stickler on this one, personally, but there's no harm in starting a new thread for an existing topic that hasn't been discussed in a while. At the very worst, we can merge threads together if necessary.

@Kaelyn: Yaaay, Calc-based physics! You're gonna have a fun semester!
@Eon: Awww... Well, I wish you good luck in obtaining the means to attend that school for astronomy and physics (astrophysics? :3). Honestly, taking a gap year is a good idea. I could have benefited from a long break between high school and college, personally.
@Dazel: Computer animation sounds like a cool class to take! Also, AP World was very interesting, I hope you enjoy it (it can be a little dense at times, though). Taking a year of world history prior will definitely be helpful.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

lol. I just gotta say this: I'll question you if I want. XD

Who's the older one here who's probably got a little more experience in some things? (maybe not going to other countries and this math/physics stuff, but I mean actual life experiences.... not that going to other countries doesn't count. x3)

That bumping rule is fair enough, and yes, merging could happen, so *shrugs* It was just something that had crossed my mind. :)

And NO I am not having fun with this Physics! Only a week and it's terrible! (It doesn't help that everything else has used up all my time and I haven't even really touched the stuff. ^^())
Well after 2 years off, due to various reasons, I'm going back to the Post-secondary grind, but I'm switching majors/life paths. Going from Poli. Sci to Psychology.
Taav, what do you fence? And how well do you fence?

I'm starting off my Master program this semester, and since I'm doing it in the same place as my undergrad, I get to waive 2 classes this semester so that I'm taking Stochastic Calculus, Derivatives Securities, Fixed Income Securities, and Machine Learning
I fence Sabre, and I suck horribly. I only started my freshman year though, and we only practice twice a week.

Oooh. Machine Learning? I'm sure that will be interesting! My research this semester will involve some ML, though I haven't had any formal study in it. Good luck!
~ Taav
[Image: GziDAAU.png]

Thank
(08-29-2015, 09:40 PM)Taav Wrote: I fence Sabre, and I suck horribly. I only started my freshman year though, and we only practice twice a week.

Oooh. Machine Learning? I'm sure that will be interesting! My research this semester will involve some ML, though I haven't had any formal study in it. Good luck!

Thanks, sabre is quite difficult. Good luck with that too.
I sometimes do foil too, but I enjoy being able to use the blade more. I got whooped in foil during our last practice. Hopefully I can do a little better today if I can wake up early enough.

School's tough. We're only two weeks in and I already had a paper due in my biology seminar. All my classes are interesting though, and I'm quite satisfied with everything thus far. I had to move our robotics meeting to next weekend due to some scheduling mishaps (my fault), and anime club hasn't started at all yet. I'll get there eventually.

That paper threw me off my work-out rhythm, so I'll need to work extra hard to get back into it. Other than that, I'm doing pretty good.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]