General TCG Thread.
The Pokemon Trading Card game is after all, a pretty huge part of the franchise, and I wouldn't be surprised to find people involved in it here on Turquoise. So this is the thread for you, players and collectors, to discuss, about your decks, about your collections, about upcoming sets... Beacause why not?
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
I bought a Pokemon Card set on a whim a couple months ago. I had stopped buying them by 4th generation or so, and I was curious to see what the new cards were like.

Anyway, I managed to get an EX card. I can't be super rare, since you can buy it on Amazon for 5 bucks:
[Image: 81KuCiNWdJL._SY355_.jpg]

Honestly, I've always been more of a fan of the artwork than the game. That's mainly because when I was younger, none of my friends actually played Pokemon cards. Kinda hard to play alone, right?

I've been meaning to try the official online version of the game. Has anyone tried it?
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
The Taavern ~ PM ~ Friend Codes
Actually yes, EX's and FA's are now more common than Holos, when it comes to pull rates(Usually about 7 Ultra Rares per box and 5-6 holos, from what I can see).

The official online version is... Pretty good, IMO. Tends to bug out, but is definietely better than most of the fanmade simulators, and the lack of code cards is not really a problem unless you're going for the top tier meta decks, since you're gonna be able to get some cards to build... Maybe not the best, but pretty succesfull deck after week or two of playing with theme decks.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
I've dabbled in the TCG a bit. I mostly just played my friends with slightly modified theme decks, which worked well enough. Eventually everyone lost interest, strangely right about the time I tried building my own deck, which people had trouble beating. I took a brief look into the competitive scene as well, but backed down pretty quickly. The thing I don't like about competitive TCG compared to VGC is that you need to buy so many more things. If you want a good deck you need to be really lucky or willing to invest high amounts of money. For VGC you only really have to buy 1 game and almost everything you need is available in that.
(06-26-2015, 07:54 PM)Eonrider Wrote: If you want a good deck you need to be really lucky or willing to invest high amounts of money. For VGC you only really have to buy 1 game and almost everything you need is available in that.

This is very true, and probably the reason why I never got too serious with the card games. It's pretty hard to even assemble your first deck until you have a huge variety of cards.

What I would need to get into the competitive scene is a Pokemon Showdown-like simulator. I'm sure the official online simulator is fairly good, but if there are any exclusive items that prevent you from making the best deck possible, it's not worth it imo.

A quick google search reveals that there are some alternatives to the official, though I can't say I've looked into any of them yet.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

(06-27-2015, 08:22 PM)Taav Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 07:54 PM)Eonrider Wrote: If you want a good deck you need to be really lucky or willing to invest high amounts of money. For VGC you only really have to buy 1 game and almost everything you need is available in that.
This is very true, and probably the reason why I never got too serious with the card games. It's pretty hard to even assemble your first deck until you have a huge variety of cards.
This is exactly why I've never even wanted to get into any TCG whatever. The Pokemon one, MtG, Yugioh, whatever. This seems like the best place to ask so could one of you tell me, bearing this price issue in mind, what is the bloody point?
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
I mean... what's the point in card games in general? They all work essentially the same way: you buy cards, assemble decks, and then buy more cards.

Aside from a collector's point of view, I don't understand it at all. But with so many kids at my school obsessed with M:TG at my school, I figure there's at least something driving interest in card games. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working for Pokemon, but maybe that's because the video games are a much better/cheaper alternative? I don't know.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

I think that one of main factor driving people into TCG is the fact that(With proper shuffflinf) it's more random than VG. Whereas in VG the matchup in the very beggining is pretty much set, in the TCG, all it needs to turn the whole game upside down is a sudden top-deck, or by having a single card prized... It also kind of requires more thinking about deckbuilding and the games tend to be more complex than VG ones, which also might play a role. For many people I think, the fact that you need to spend much was opposingly to what many are thinking, attractive, probably beacause subconsciously they connect requirement to spend more on something to said thing being meant more for so-called "elite".
Bear in mind that these are only my assumptions, made with little-to-no knowlege of VG competitive play or psychology.
With Gamestop having a buy 3, get 1 free deal, I've bought some packs recently. So, I've bought a mix of the various sets released (Sadly, they're keeping the newest set to themselves until after the sale. Buttmunchers. :\ I did, grab an Ancient Origins pack tonight (Which I actually did not know was already released)

Ancient Origins
Mega Sceptile EX - This card is awesome >.> Theta Stop ignores abilities, and its attack is amazing. Only deals 100, but it costs only two energy, allows you to place up to two grass energy from your hand onto your benched pokemon, and any that get an energy are FULLY freaking HEALED <3 My least favorite Hoenn starter, but daaaaamn~

Roaring Skies
Shaymin EX -... I think I've found my new draw card. >.> Its ability lets you draw until you have six cards when it is put into play. Its attack deals a paltry 30dmg, BUT lets you return it and all cards on it to your hand... Save it for when you need cards again~

Gallade EX - Nice damage. Deals 170dmg... as long as you have all of your prizes. Every prize you draw, it drops 20dmg... Good early game, terrible late game.

Rayquaza EX - ...meh. Good second attack despite the energy it needs, and the fact that if you flip a tails, you can't use it next turn >.>; Ew.

Primal Clash
Aggron EX - ... eh. Not bad. Could make it work with Switch/Escape Rope and my new Sceptile~

Aegislash - Hnnnng. My second favorite rare that I drew. Its ability removes all of your mons weaknesses, and its attack is not only decent (80dmg) but reduces your opponent's next attack by 20~

Why can I never get a Gardevoir/Gardevoir EX? :\ That's mainly what I want...

Phantom Forces
Diancie - Not bad. Can stall with its first move, and second heals all of your Fairy type mons for 30. Plus, it's Diancie <3

Not buying these anymore. Ever. Every time, EVERY FREAKING TIME I get one of these, the rare or reverse foil card is a freaking Swalot >.> I have so many of these. So many... Why? Why Swalot? Why hast thou forsaken me so? >.<

Sorry for any nerding. I have no where else to do it D:
Grrr... Lucky you, getting cards early. (Also, I agree, Shaymin EX is Best Card in the Format)
Also, these are some neat rogue ideas you came up with for the cards that everyone considers nothing more than a stepstone to the Mega/Filler Card. Even though they're possible to get clunky at times.
And yes, Swalot is the bane of Phantom Forces.
I owned some Pokémon cards way back when (like, Gen I way back when), but I hardly remember that. Much more recently, my brother and I snagged and intensely played some translated roms of the second TCG videogame (which is just late Gen I, but it runs a pretty interesting game), and that sparked our interests to the point he ended up buying a couple decks. We've been buying a bunch since. We play against each other sometimes, but aside from that we just like having cards.

That's kind of the real reason why there's so much TCG and so much people buying TCG, really -- it's memorabilia, much the same way figures and plushies and side material books are. The actual card games aren't really always what catches people's eye -- I mean, I'll recognize art from the Fire Emblem TCGs on sight, but I still don't have the foggiest as to how any of them is supposed to play. And then, the Pokémon TCG does have a pretty interesting game going.

But, as for the nitty gritty of it. We're mostly trying to amass the structure decks so far (if nothing else, they're much-needed sources of energy cards), but we do have a few flashy things from the occasional booster. As far as EX cards go, I've got Chesnaught (out of a box), Camerupt and Gardevoir (that one being one of the very first cards I've nabbed, too!). Rayquaza EX has crossed my palms but I extorted a friend out of many good cards in exchange for giving him that. I also have too freaking many Natu from Roaring Skies. I should also mention, I'll usually be getting cards once they're already old news, due to buying localized versions that are slow to release -- Ancient Origins just landed this month. (If I have the cash by the end of the month or so, I think I'll nab Iron Tide...)

As far as the actual game goes, I've got two decks: a Fighting/Electric that's pretty much just Earth's Pulse with some bells from Roaring Skies, and a more well-built Fairy/Grass that's an utter terror to face; I think there are less cards in there that can't inflict some annoying status than there are cards that can.

I may or may not end up checking out the online game sometime. I do have a large and growing hoard of code cards.
(11-11-2015, 09:20 PM)Metallica Fanboy Wrote: I may or may not end up checking out the online game sometime. I do have a large and growing hoard of code cards.

Ah, maybe we can play against each other some time. I don't play the online game as frequently, but I wouldn't mind a game.

One thing I hate about it are the cheap decks >.> Like, Hoopa EX coming in, bringing in a bunch of other EXs that'll wreck your face, or the Vespiquen/Night March decks...

I'd love to make some real decks again. Fire/Electric, Water/Fighting, and especially Fairy/Grass~
In other news, my brother didn't know that his badass Salamence has a weakness to Fairy.

Now, after watching me sweep the final prize from under multiple of his 150+ strong attacks, he knows.
Got my first Breakthrough pack today. Only got one though. I'm supposed to be saving >.>; Heh...

Let's see...
Cyndaquil: Adorable. Attacks remind me of base set Charmander.
Hoothoot: Looks stupid. Has a semi-useful move, but it won't do much to help it.
Misdreavus: Looks awesome, and its move is decent. Moves that place counters instead of doing direct damage are great because they bypass counter items and abilities.
Froakie: Image is interesting. Attack... not so much.
Axew: Adorable. I always hated how dragon cards need multiple energy types, but with the cards in Breakthrough... Methinks I might have a Fighting/Steel/Dragon deck one day...
N... Noivern Break: First pack, first Break. Neat. Attack is nice, but too dependent on the opponent's hand.
Chatot: Cute image, but otherwise, an underwhelming and disappointing card. Why is this a Rare?!
Beheeyem: ... Hate the image, but I could have fun with this card. Psybeam is cheap and causes instant confusion, and Mind Bullet can wear on ANY pokemon, active or benched, that your opponent is loading with energy.
Granbull: Surprisingly cute for a mon I hate. Nice HP, both moves are good, though that self-confusion... I guess 120 power is worth it...

Meh. Dunno why I'm talking about this. x3 I guess just excited to get new cards. This set seems promising, evn if the Break cards seem pointless... At least they look cool, right?
Double posting because new set.

Went out today and bought a few BreakPoint packs (despite the fact that I should be saving for a trip........... guh) so I'm going to talk about a few of the cards that caught my interest, as well as some disappointments.

Petilil is adorbs. Drowzee has a pedo face. Glameow is cute. Espurr wants hug.
Right, some more competitive coverage of Break Point coming from my side of the field.
Also, I just got the Mythical Mew collection. Opened the two Generations packs it came with. Two things about them:
The pull rates there are amazing, almost Legendary Treasures-like. Or I just was incredibly lucky.
This Shaymin EX is just too damn adorable, I can't take it!