"Luauthu" [Sign Up Thread]
@Eon: Yes, pirates! :D We need pirates! Nice character.
@Kath: Nope. I haven't really watched any Star Trek. The idea comes from an AI concept I have been working on, though it does very closely resemble the Trill. Huh..
@BI: Glad you like Nao-Ool. Also, you can do thread bumps if you feel they are necessary.
@Kaelyn: Your species reminds me of the beast tribe from the Golden Sun universe. It's a very interesing concept, and should work nicely for this world. :)

Are we going to limit technology to the Nyarri Empire as well? I was hoping that we would have an effective limit on tech/magic, rather than an absolute one?.

For insance, make both sides resource hogs. Maybe Kloaya has a huge overabundance in minerals that contain the essence of magic, and are able to harvest them at a semi-sustainable rate. Long-term exposure to these minerals allows a character to develop magic powers.

Then, in Nyarri, they instead have resources in various metals, natural chemicals, etc, that they use to make high-tech gagets. Kloayans don't have access to these materials, and don't actively trade with the only existing nation that owns them, and thus cannot produce the technology. Likewise, the Nyarrians lack the materials needed to wield magic.

This would make it theoretically possible for one to use both magic and technology, though they would have to reside in both nations for a considerably long time.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

Google Doc: Do eet, BI.
Umm... I dunno what to say... I'm impressed, Kaelyn. Truly impressed.
Taav, I like this idea. Very much like it.
Eh. Time for me to think of something, I guess?
[SPOILER=Test Subject GMS01/EM0012]
Goals/Ambitions: Not to get recaptured.
Feelings on the war: Never had contact with it.
[/SPOILER]
Yeah, yeah, I know it's crap. It's just a first sketch.
Also, when I'll be able, I'll try to post 2 sentient races I thought of some time ago, but never actually posted them here.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
I absolutely do not regret making a corporation. Especially since it keeps being used like this! I mean, Islan himself is pretty moral but there's no guarantee that the rest of the board of directors of Shefton Corp. are. It's a big corporation, each subsidiary having its own boards as well. Plenty of room for all sorts of bad stuff, though they would have to try and keep it from Islan himself so as to not have the plug pulled immediately. If no-one objects, I'll knock up a brief outline of Shefton Corp.'s structure and a brief guide to playing Islan; as an NPC, he needs a couple guidelines for anyone to use him as needed. Like press releases or something. Feel free to do the same with any manager/director of the rest of the primary board and the subsidiaries as necessary.

I've had another idea for a sentient race myself, though I personally wouldn't actually like to play one of it. Shall I post it anyway?
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Yeah, this might be a good idea, to make basic overviews of more important NPC's, on how to play them and such. Also, it might have been that Islan knew scientists from Shefton Genetics worked on some governmental project, it's just he didn't know, beacause "Top Secret Government Stuff"

I think you should.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
Eonrider, I think a longer life span will be fine, as long as it's only for him and not his whole race. As other people have said, we need a cap on racial life span, or else 1000 years suddenly isn't all that long. As for being immune to conventional damage, also probably fine, as long as you meet two requirements: one, the source of his longevity and (pseudo)immortality must come from magic and not in born racial abilities, and two, you must rigorously define what can kill him. Also, I will request that you tell me the reasons for Undredd's longevity. You can PM me the explanation, so no one else has to know.

I love the pirate angle. Maybe if sea-bound piracy is a big thing in Luauthu, there could be channels of sea water that thrust into the continent of Luauthu, meaning inland cities can still have access to the sea, which could also expand the pirates' reach. Alternatively, whoever said that piracy in Luauthu needs to be limited to the sea? What if pirate ships don't sail, but fly? An interesting twist to think about.

Inquisitor, I love the detail on your race, especially on the inside, which I think is really interesting. However, I'm going to put my foot down on the no humans rule. There are no humans in this world, there never were any humans, and there never will be any humans. Ancient mythical races are great, so make one up!

I've written up the Google Doc, but I need your guys' email addresses in order to add you to it. Post them in this thread, or PM me them if you don't want any random stranger seeing your email address.
कालो ऽस्मि लोकक्षयकृत् प्रवृद्धो लोकान्समाहर्तुमिह प्रवृत्त
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”
-Bhagavad Gita (XI, 32), as quoted by J. Robert Oppenheimer

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

(07-02-2015, 12:04 AM)BlackInfinityEE129 Wrote: I've written up the Google Doc, but I need your guys' email addresses in order to add you to it. Post them in this thread, or PM me them if you don't want any random stranger seeing your email address.

You could also generate a public URL and post that. Assuming that you didn't use your school's email account - they restrict outside users from accessing documents.

Go to 'Share' and then click "Get shareable link". See if that works.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

Ah, okay, didn't know I could do that. Well then, here's the link to the Google Doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MDOS...sp=sharing

I'll also put this link in the first post.

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

Bunch of extra info, likely pertinent.

This is a rough guide for any as need/want to commandeer Islan for any reason. The more Shefton Corp. or its subsidiaries are involved in your character's form, the more likely this will be.

This will be updated as the rest of us come up with ideas for the square bracketed WIP parts. The final paragraph can be disputed if needed.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
I've finally been able to scan my images and whatnot, but since I can only have 1,000 KB, I've had to split them. I also have "references" that were used (or, at least I tried to). These are simple a plain link. Hopefully, that doesn't change and they end up obsolete. All of my personal images are under the appropriate copyright. Please do not "steal", use, or anything else with my images/art (if you can call it art...); they are simply to help give others a glimpse of what was going on in my head when I wrote my character species.

Kath has had a hand in helping me, as well as be a sounding board; thank-you again very much, Kath. This link here gives a rough idea of the color scheme that I had in mind for each Clan. The first column (vertical line starting at the left for those of you who get confused about which is which, like I do) is for the Z'meya. Second is R'moni; third=Je’resva; Fourth=Ne’haqen. All credit for this goes to Kath.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Kathir...s.png.html

Next, are references or example of the "hair being on top of the head" since I'm not very good with that. You can take any old example; these are just a few. Simply imagine one of the Daorarri with regular human hair on their heads and you've got the idea. ^^()

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs51/200H/i/2..._Okami.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...1ae14f.jpg
http://yerf.metafur.org/crowadel/pariapsy.jpg

These last references are what I tried to use for my concept art for the Ne'haqen. I don't think my concept art went as well as I had it in my head, and these images serve quite a good bit in parts for what I had had in mind.

Ear-things and shape of the head, probably the tail too. http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs24/f/2008/0...a8550a.jpg

A little bit about the fur, but more about the ear-thingys. http://s306.photobucket.com/user/sengels...l.jpg.html

A better view of how the wings could look, well, more like what I had envisioned, just on a larger scale and with another pair so that the total amount of pairs was three. http://tryne.lmfao.org.uk/graphics/illus...ragon2.jpg

This one was used the most. The tail, shape of the head, (definitely) the toes/claws/feet, etc., and the overall fuzzyness/furryness of what I had in mind can be seen here. For the most part, of course. http://img15.deviantart.net/7661/i/2010/...ibbary.jpg

Also, I'd like input on the "WIP" or blank stuff (grr... second time typing this... *sigh*). I haven't a clue as to what I could put there...

....And for some odd reason I can't attach the rest of my scans? D: What's up with that?
Nice images, Kaelyn. Anyway, I think there's something rather important we're forgetting to discuss. Magic. More specifically, how does one aquire new spells and such? I'd assume money is involved, but what happens after that? Does the knowledge just appear in your head? Is there some kind of scroll to learn? And when casting magic, do you need any tools? I imagine some spells would be quick and easy to cast, but more complex ones might require a magic circle/pentagram or something.
I've been trying to figure out how to balance tech vs. magic in terms of viability.

I think the magic should take some sort of physical form, in the sense that it exists within natural objects. Certain minerals have different levels of magic stored inside, and that magic is of varying types: fire magic, thermal magic, electromagic, etc. The main advantage to this is that magic becomes something quantifiable, and can be studied/used in a way similar to that of technology (while still being a separate thing). You can then create scrolls/charms that are infused with the magic from objects, just as you would create gadgets from other resources.

Another thing I've been thinking about.. Should we introduce magitechnology at any point in the game? Maybe when there are characters who can use technology and magic, they can combine their abilities into singular entities. We could possibly have dangerous military weapons that combine both resources, kinda like the Mana Cannon from Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Phantasia.

Then, we'd have two nations, one that has historically used only magic, the other technology - but both are trying to acquire the other skill because magitechnology is far stronger than either weapon alone. Since they both hog their respective resources, neither has been able to get too far in the endeavor.

Just thinking aloud...
~ Taav
[Image: GziDAAU.png]

First of all, apologies on not getting my character in yet, despite promising that I would have it done a full week ago. I've been playing Batman: Arkham Knight a lot, and also reading much more often than usual, which is a good thing for me. My character profile is also going to be quite long. I'm writing it right now, but I'm not even done with my race profile and I haven't started writing up my character yet. So it will probably be a while yet.

On the topic of magic, I like Taav's idea of it being linked to physical resources. For a person to gain wealth and influence in Kloaya, then need not only ability with magic, but the resources and means to gain the raw materials to grant them magical powers. I will require that there be some way to gain permanent magic spells, but these can be expensive and initially require a lot of resources so that you never need the resources to cast the spell again. This would reserve the permanent magic (PermaMagic...?) for only the very wealthy and powerful. Here's how I imagine the magic system, and let me know what you think.

People can be born with an inborn affinity for magic, which can be enhanced by in utero exposure to magical materials, but which is not completely dependent on such exposure. This opens up the possibility of people born in Nyarri who are potentially able to become proficient magic users, while reserving the most powerful "natural" affinities for Kloayans. And of course, it's not normally possible for people of Nyarri (themselves called Nyarri, if I haven't said so before) to become magic-users because they still don't have the raw materials necessary to gain powers. For anyone, no matter inborn ability, to become a magic user, they must possess and use the natural magic resources to learn and fuel their spells. Perhaps we can implement a system where the more you use resource-fueled magic (ResoMagic...?), the greater your ability becomes, and you can begin to cast more powerful spells with less resources. For those who have great wealth and access to large amounts of magic materials, they can spend great deals of both to grant themselves permanent magical abilities that don't require further magic materials to use. These can take the form of passive "enhancements" or the permanent ability to cast a certain spell without resources, although their still will be an energy cost, most likely taken from their own bodies (mana). Each expenditure of money and resources will grant a single spell or enhancement. Other than this, magic in Luauthu is extremely diverse and can take on nearly any form imaginable. Seriously, if you can imagine it, it exists.

And yes, the union of magic and technology WILL become important in this RP, regardless of how we decide to handle it. I suggested before that we make a figure of legend/myth/prophecy, either from the past or predicted in the future, who used/uses both magic and tech and thus acts as something of a unifying force for all of Luauthu. Whether or not we decide this to be a part of Luauthian history, something similar to this concept WILL make its way into the plot of the RP. But I'm not sure I like the idea of both nations interested in obtaining the other's tools. Perhaps both nations are too entrenched in their own ideologies and mistrust of the other nation and its tools to seek the practical benefit in obtaining the other's powers/resources. This would have the interesting effect of making any character who gained use of both magic and tech an outcast in both countries, before eventually becoming a figure of unity.

Just a quick note, but I'm wondering how the "magic stuff" I've written up in my character thing goes up against these new ideas? What I need to change, or what people like about the abilities I've written, etc. I tried to make it as open-ended as possible, I think. . . Maybe some of the things of mine we could implement? I was just kinda hoping that people would really like what I had written down... ^^()

Depending on what I would need to change, a lot of my character and stuff would probably need to be changed too. That would take longer for me to incorporate the new stuff and throw out the stuff we agree on not doing, so it would take longer for me to get my character off the ground and to get it firmly in my head. ^^() *shrugs*

(This was also why I wanted to post first with everything. ^^() I'd had everything written down weeks before; was just struggling on how to present all the data in a coherent form. Also, I'm not trying to whine or anything, just so everyone knows. I'm just worried about how much I'll need to change.)
Arkham Knight...you lucky SOB...my little lappy can't handle City, let alone Knight...

The countries are at war, they will inevitably want to know how the other countries methods work. Even if they don't necessarily want to use it, knowing how it works will go a long way to working out how to beat it. Both countries will be doing their damnedest to learn the others ways, even through unethical means.
I think that the idea of a legendary persona who according to lore, used both tech and magic would be interesting, to say at least, but the "Joining point" between Kloaya and Nyarri, would be controvertial, to say at least, and certainly mess with the countries politics, no matter how will they finally look like. I think we would be better off if he/she was indeed using both magic and technology, but was considered by both sides a dangerous renegade, or to make them comletely cancel out the second side of his capabilities, or to make the governments play on his/her bad sides, something along the lines of "He/She went to Kloaya/Nyarri, got Magic/Technology and turned EVIL". Certainly would make things interesting.

On the point of magic... You know, Taav's idea is decent, but I don't consider it good enough... I mean, if Nyarri was doing reaserch on Magic for quite a while, and having access to Kloayan deserters/captives, who would probably have with them some of those Kloaya-only minerals, hell, even knowing the fact that there are some minerals exclusive to Kloaya, and acknowledging that there is nothing special in inhabitants of Kloaya that makes them use magic, well, they're not idiots, sooner or later they'd add 2+2.