"Luauthu" [Sign Up Thread]
I'd say we could put the language stuff in for our character for depth and to add to this world-building (if wanted), but that we can all speak the common language automatically, to make it easier. :)
Well, this project seems quite interesting, might as well add my two pennies...
I agree with Kath on the language part, since I consider that having two main national languages, and countless others racial and regional dialects, instead of having one main continental language + one for each race(Which I think Black Infinity's suggestion is).
Now. The second of the "Important Questions" is about the politics, culture and other stuff of the countries. So, If any of you agree, I could prepare some propositions for these matters(As much as I can now), for everyone to discuss them, adjust, etc. I mean, if you agree.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
Definitely intend to jump in here as soon as I can. For now, though, might I suggest that we refer to no man's land as, "The Hinterlands"? I've been looking for a good excuse to use that world for awhile and this matches perfectly the ideas I've had for it.
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
Sorry for the double-post, but this is fairly long and I think it's worthy of being separate.

Anyway, here's my idea for the Shattering. Hopefully you'll like it.

The Shattering was the event that created the Hinterlands, and that formed a political lacuna between Kloaya and Nyarri. At one point, the Hinterlands were a realm known as Ubroice (feel free to change this; I just used a random generator). While Kloaya was magically inclined but suffered in terms of technology and Nyarri was its inverse, Ubroice was a little bit of both, and helped to ease relations between the two feuding nations. Those in Kloaya who sought a more technological life could flee to Ubroice to avoid prosecution from the less welcoming Nyarri, and same with the other side. Furthermore, Ubroice provided small amounts of magic and technology to the nations that lacked them, keeping the residents fairly happy for awhile. Unfortunately, even these interventions weren't enough to hold off an inevitable war forever. Uboice was caught in the crossfire, and despite its hospitality, the country was at length reduced to little more than rubble, its unique inventions either forever lost or living on only in the small quantities that had been exported. 0YS could be considered the year that Uboice fell.

That's my idea for the Shattering anyway. Very cliché. Lots of holes in it. Feel free to fill them in. I think to explain why each side only as magic or technology, some geographical restriction might be in order? For example, perhaps "natural magic" simply doesn't occour in Nyarri, and can only be harnessed through talismans and the like, where was technology simply never caught on in Kloaya because there was no especial need for it.

That same geographical restriction could be part of the reason why the war has lasted so long; Nyarri won't rest until it has decent claim of Kyloaya's land, seeing as it's the only place where magic occours naturally aside from the far side of the Hinterlands, but the Kyloaya are well-equipped enough with their magic that they can typically overcome Nyarri forces before they even totally breach the Hinterlands. After all, the Hinterlands are fairly large, so that kind of barrier could quite easily prevent a war from progressing in any decent amount of time.

I'd imagine that the governments of Kyloaya and Nyarri would be fairly different for obvious reasons; for example, assuming magic is a force of nature, Kyloaya probably didn't have to try very hard to grow powerful. Strength was there, and they harnessed it. Nyarri, on the other hand, built their strength with intellect, so it would make sense that their government would be less primitive than Kyloaya's. For example, absolute monarchy versus a republic, democracy, or even a technocracy. (Yes, MrKyurem, I like technocracies a lot, okay.) Magic versus technology is a theme that I've explored to an extent in the past and it seems like magic is usually associated with less-developed worlds, resulting in a less-developed government, and vice versa with technology. No ideas specifically on how the governments should work; I hardly know enough about real governments to be thinking about creating variations. Just thought I'd offer my two cents, though.

Geographically speaking, I thought it might be interesting if the Hinterlands were based on a mountain chain, increasing the divide between the two nations. I'm not very well-read on things like climate and how geography affects it, but that might open up the door for separate climates in the different nations.

Sorry if I seemed bossy or commandeering here! These are all just ideas, obviously. Feel free to poke holes in them.
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
Oooh, I like that idea. Calling the "no man's land" the Hinterlands, that is. First of all, I think I've established by now that I love references to games and other media, and I love Dragon Age. The reference also works perfectly, as in DA:Inquisition, the Hinterlands was the battlefield of the Mage-Templar War, and in Luauthu, this area is the battlefield of the War between Kloaya and the Nyarri Empire. Kloaya and the mages both use magic, obviously, and Nyarri Empire suggests that NE is at least somewhat military focused, while the Templars are a military organization. I'll wait to see what other people think, but I'm casting my vote for this idea.

Looking up "Hinterland" on Google, I find that it is actually a real word, meaning "the often uncharted areas beyond a coastal district or a river's banks" or "an area lying beyond what is visible or known." There are a few additional definitions, but they don't really apply. So if we call the "no man's land" the Hinterlands, then that would imply that the area, despite being in the middle of the continent, is relatively unsettled and uncharted, even after at least a thousand years. This is an interesting idea, because the Hinterlands is where the War would supposedly be fought. You would think that both countries would have scoped out that area thoroughly long ago, looking for geographical advantages over their enemy. If they haven't... well, that could only mean that there is a really good reason why they wouldn't. What can keep not one, but two armies out? I think here we need to evoke the Shattering a little bit. Maybe, whatever the Shattering was, it's epicenter or origin was in the Hinterlands, and it's still going on. Some epic catastrophe that has been going for a thousand years that no one dares go near. Of course, then the question becomes, why would KA and NE be fighting a war if such a danger were right on both of their doorsteps? I've gone through and discarded several ideas to solve this problem, and I still don't really know how to combine these two ideas. Oh well, maybe we can't use this idea, but it might give someone else another idea.
कालो ऽस्मि लोकक्षयकृत् प्रवृद्धो लोकान्समाहर्तुमिह प्रवृत्त
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”
-Bhagavad Gita (XI, 32), as quoted by J. Robert Oppenheimer

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

'magic is usually associated with less-developed worlds, resulting in a less-developed government'. You're right there. Magic vs technology. Mother Nature vs Father Science. Jotun vs Aesir. Chaos vs Order. Interestingly, I think this mostly starts with the Vikings considering the Jotun to represent chaotic nature while the Aesir represented the order of civilisation that they, and humans, imposed on the world. Ragnorok isn't really the end of the world, it's the end of the civilised world, where nature takes it all back from us.

And before you ask, yes, the Vikings considered nature feminine. The Jotun were pretty feminine and often turned into girls (dammit Loki), and Odin was special for an Aesir because he jumped through hoops to become an expert in female magic, magic itself being largely feminine (though not exclusively wielded by women).

About the Shattering...it was suggested that Luauthu wasn't one continent originally. It was also suggested that there could be mountains running right through the Hinterlands. These go together well: prior to civilisation on Luauthu, Kloaya and Nyarri were two separate continents now bunched up together. Perhaps the Shattering was a combination of magical and technological weapons that 'shattered' the mountains right through to the crust and turned them into active volcanoes? With the proximity to each other, you just can't risk crossing them without high likelihood of getting burned alive. Perhaps there could also be nuclear fallout in the region...after all, the weaponry needed to crack open volcanoes like that would need to be weapons of mass destruction...and what comes to mind when you think of a technological WMD...? Perhaps something similar could be applied to the Kloaya side; their WMDs resulted in magical fallout (term it 'mana fallout'?) that also cause negative effects. Perhaps the nuclear fallout causes cancer and rad poisoning, mana fallout inflicts instant and usually detrimental instant body-horror style mutations and transformations...?
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Wow, I actually can't keep up with you guys. This is awesome.

For "magic ==> less development, tech ==> more development," yes that makes sense, but that's also the standard way to go in these kinds of worlds. I'd like to challenge us to break away from those kinds of cliches, try something new. The question would be how to justify the new direction, because that concept does make a whole lot of sense. Maybe one way to go is that NE was always ruled by an autocratic dictatorship which kept a tight fist on all available technologies; the only way to get access to advanced tech is to get in bed with the government. Honestly, I kinda like the idea that maybe both Kloaya and the Nyarri Empire are ruled by less progressive, more oppressive governments. For Kloaya, the government could be a small council of the most powerful magic-users in the country. The government hierarchy is directly based on magical prowess, and the only way to rise through the ranks is by gaining more powerful magic. So kind of like an especially cut throat technocracy, but for magic.

I kinda like the idea of the Shattering being caused, at least in part, by magical and technological WMD's. Maybe the nuclear and magical fallout combined somehow, and infected all the people and animals in the Hinterlands, turning them into abominations and monsters. I'm growing increasingly attracted to the idea that the Hinterlands are infested with monsters as a result of the Shattering, but the problem is that they begs the question: why are KA and NE fighting if they have a supernatural threat like that at they're doorsteps? Moreover, how are they fighting if to get to their enemy, they first have to cross a few thousand some miles of various monsters and abominations? That's not a very practical war. Well, I'm not sure if this idea will work out, but I wanted to propose it anyway.

As for pre-Shattering Luauthu, I like the idea that the entire continent(s) was one country. Or maybe there were no countries at all. Maybe Luauthu before the Shattering was simply a collection of independent city-states that lived in relative harmony with each other. Magic and tech could be spread uniformly throughout the entire continent until Luauthu "shattered" and Kloaya, the Nyarri Empire, and the Hinterlands were formed. Or, like Dazel proposed, magic could still be concentrated in the KA end and tech in the NE end, with both being present in the middle. I like the second option better actually, because it provides a possible reason for why the War started. For millennia or however long, magic and tech had existed in harmony, and through the cooperation of both, great wonders had been achieved. But then radicals from both sides began to raise tensions, and war broke out. The War started in the center of Luauthu, but then the mutual detonation of both magical and technological WMDs "shattered" Luauthu and left the Hinterlands inhospitable, pushing the remaining denizens towards the two ends of the continent. And why is the War still going on today? Well, maybe those radicals are still alive, still in charge, still fueling the war. The leaders of Kloaya have used magic to make themselves immortal, and have been alive and ruling KA since the Shattering, while the original leader of NE turned him/herself into a computer, and now rules NE as a Skynet-type overlord. And ooh, new idea, if a few powerful people instigated the war, people who are still around today, then maybe the reasons for the war could be more than just ideological. Maybe these people knew each other way back when, before the Shattering, and were friends (or lovers; because who doesn't love a lovers' spat that destroys civilizations?). They had a personal quarrel which, fueled by massive egos and ridiculous amounts of power, turned into an apocalyptic world war. In the present day, this can be a whispered rumor, often quashed but never silenced.

Idea about how Kloaya and the Nyarri Empire can fight a war while separated by 850 thousand square mi of apparently utterly hostile terrain: KA and NE have both sealed off the Hinterlands with massive barriers stretching the length of their borders. For KA, it's a magical shield, for NE, it's a technological force field. That solves the problem of whatever bad stuff is in the Hinterlands that KA and NE want to keep out, whether it be monsters or radiation or volcanic eruptions, while not getting rid of it completely. Every so often, the barriers can fail, and KA and/or NE can be under threat of being overrun by whatever threats the Hinterlands hold. Perhaps this is even a staple, if brutal, strategy of the War: sabotage the other country's barriers, and watch them be overrun by natural forces. To get from one country to the other, they have teleporters. Kloaya has magical portals, and NE has wormholes through which either country can attack the other directly. This is obviously going to be a new and fairly complicated system of war that we will have to work out in much greater depth.

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

I was about to mention that, if Nyarri and Kloaya hate each other this much and are only currently at a cease fire, maybe it's not exactly a ceasefire at all. Maybe it's a cold war, still fought even now but with spies and espionage and so on. This could tie in very well with the above regarding force field/shield sabotage being the primary method of attack these days.

Cliche idea, but what if the '1000 years' is significant because of a prophecy of some sort? Right at the end, just after the fields/shields went up, a very powerful Kloayan used their magic to 'see' the future via traditional oracle shenanigans, while a very advanced Nyarri managed to build a time machine and went and saw that same future themselves. Both would therefore come to the same 'prophecy' regarding something happening exactly 1000 years later. Of course, the knowledge regarding the seer abilities/time machine would've been lost shortly afterwards: oracle went mad and didn't keep notes, time traveler got stranded with their phone box somewhen.

If the above becomes canon, the time machine MUST be a phone box. I won't accept anything less. The Doctor, Bill, and Ted are at least owed that much.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
Oh yes. Espionage is going to be a big part of this RP whether we talk about it or not... hehehe... so we might as well talk about it! And I like the Cold War idea, it fits in perfectly with what I have in mind. But KA and NE ARE at war, so it's not quite like the real world Cold War. It's more like two countries fighting on and off for hundreds of years, and in the "off" years, the two countries are really still at war, it's just become a secret war while they rebuild their respective military strengths.

For your prophecy, yeah, super cliche... and exactly what I was thinking. Who doesn't love a good prophecy? For a while now, I've been wanting to be able to include some kind of supernatural threat, like a mythical monster or slumbering demon or whatevs, which is involved in the Shattering, specifically with all the monsters running about the Hinterlands that I've been pushing for a few posts, but I haven't really been able to find a way to incorporate it logically so far. What if the prophecy is about that mythological threat, which was involved somehow in the breaking, rising again and unleashing destruction against both countries? Okay... I took a cliche idea and just smashed it with the hackney hammer, but you gotta admit, prophecy's about mythological world-eating monsters are just cool, especially when combined with a politics fueled war. Oh, wait, that's the plot of Skyrim. And WoW?

Anywaaay... Defs shouldn't use that idea exactly, but I think we can use that as a general direction, overhaul it a bit, and that could make for a really interesting complication in the plot.

Oh, and also defs on the timetraveling phonebox. Don't watch Doctor Who, but I do love me my pop culture references.

Even if you don't watch Doctor Who, everyone needs to watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure at least once! Do it do it do it.

Oooo! Idea for a twist! If we go the route of a giant horrible monster in the Hinterlands that's breaking out again, what if there's something everyone forgot about the war? What if the Shattering itself was the monster getting out and the War started because Kloaya and Nyarri, then neighborly allies though still separate countries, both dropped their WMDs on the monster to get rid of it? Both then misconstrued the other's use of a WMD (outlawed under peace treaties or something) as a declaration of war at them and decided to retaliate? They also didn't manage to kill the monster, only seal it for 1000 years...
I can't keep up with you guys at all..... I might end up having to scrap my character again after all of this stuff. XD

This is pretty much too much to digest all at once and comment on...... :/ But I do want to have some say in things.... Who says that the tech side is going to be more "developed" than the magic side? I'd like to vote that they are pretty much equal in regards to civilizational progress (I know that's probably not a word, but oh well). Prophecy is cliched, yes, but it sounds like it could become something. I'd also agree on "The Hinterlands" being the name, just so you guys have my vote.

I'm feeling for Dazel's idea of magic simply not existing on the tech side, and tech not on the magic side (due to their being no real need, as he said) in conjunction with a little bit of the WMD idea. Anyone think of Ley Lines, perhaps? I'm not quite sure of the lovers' spat as the main cause, but it could maybe be a stepping stone to the "explosion"? Also, since this war has been 1000 years, perhaps the abilities of these races (magic and tech) weren't quite what they were as they are now. They have, perhaps, developed over the years during the war, in order to out-better the other. I'm just throwing more ideas out, so... ^^() I rather like the idea more of the Hinterlands being more of a barren wasteland that is difficult to cross; mountains or volcanoes would likely give a better environment for something to live near, I think. But, again, that's just my two cents and my vote. The wasteland would make more sense, in my opinion, if it were the epicenter/origin of the Shattering, as BlackInfinity said. I do also love the idea of border-wide barriers (that are a new addition, perhaps in the last decade) and the espionage idea.

I know I'm jumping around a lot, but Kath's idea of the WMD causing all of these side effects and whatnot has my vote. Perhaps, 1000 years ago, this is also what caused the species we have today to be in existence? In these altered forms, fighting for 1000 years, no one would remember if they had actually looked like something else, right? Of course, BlackInfinity has already touched on this. By the way, how long, on average, are these species' lifespans? Has anyone discussed that, or are we assuming they are like modern day humans and we're lucky if we get to a century?

I don't know about the "radical(s) that started the war still being alive" idea. Things, like ideals, goals, and truths, get distorted and changed over time, do they not? A vague sense that they must always fight each other, makes them continue to do so, but the reasoning for it has already slipped. With this ceasefire (and it being 1000 years), perhaps some (common) sense is trickling back into the minds of some people on both sides?

I'm iffy on the teleportation. If it's there, there still needs to be some sort of guideline(s) and restrictions, otherwise, there'd be chaos with both nations just ransacking the other, teleporting troops where ever they felt like sending them. I just kinda felt the need to point this out. I'm sure you guys already know.. ^^() Perhaps, because of the divide in magic and tech (and the Shattering), the teleportation can only get each country's soldiers to the edge of the other Nation's border, right on the outside edge of the Hinterlands. It's an idea. You don't have to think about it at all...

I'm not quite sure what I could add, if anything at all. I still have a lot of work to do with my character/background/species/stuff. Let me know if you like anything of what I've said though? ^^()

Edit: Kath's last post seems like a pretty good idea, reading it. I don't know if that contradicts anything I've said in this post...... D: I guess ignore it (anything in my post), cause I really like Kath's idea. XD

Edit 2: On a side note, just because (I think), I'd like to put a vote for Ulanto to have something to do with mountains in its vicinity? x3
Lifespan is a very good point. I've touched on it with the Kharish (normally live 'til 60, the rich use advanced healthcare and gene mods/youthening spells to reach 100), but what sort of lifespan spread can we see? Obviously, we can't have them get too old as there needs to be enough time and enough generations for the war to be what it is now. Otherwise, 1000 years won't be long enough. I'd suggest an upper bound of no more than 200 years, and that's for the rich who can afford to extend their lives quite a way. I'd also suggest a lower bound of 20 years for the poorest of the shortest lived species, based on the Vorcha and Salarians of the Mass Effect series. All space-faring species in Mass Effect are advanced enough to have healthcare extend their lives a long way (humans now live for about 150 years) but the Salarians, despite being just as advanced, still only live for 40 years, while the not-so-advanced 'rats of the galaxy', the Vorcha, only live for about 20.

Also, it is probably likely that Kloaya will resemble Nyarri in some respects. Science may mean Nyarri's technology, but the scientific method can be applied to anything...
Whoah, guys. Slow down a bit, maybe? I can't keep up with all the stuff youre coming up with... Lemme just say that I listed here only my propositions of things, and stuff I don't completely agree with. Everything I didn't listed down here, you can freely assume I'm fine with.
Hmm... I actually like Dazel's conception of the geographical excuse for why magic isn't present outside of Kloaya... Some sort of highly powerful magical objest buried deep under geometrical center of Kloaya that emits magical energy on a certain radius, for example?And I agree with the "Hinterlands". This definietly souds much better than "No man's land". I don't know about making it a mountanious region, though... We will see how the whole geography thing turns out when we have all the tectonic plate movements mapped out. And I really don't like it that you made the Nyarri the agressor in the War.
The Shattering... I realy like the Idea of it devastating a whole nation (Or couple of them), and still going on, though I'm not very keen on the WMDs and active volcano concepts Kath came up with... At least with the volcanos, since they would probably find out the way to cancell out the heat with advanced enough technology/magic... WMDs are just a bit too cliche, but still kinda fun, since they leave the option to make some Mad Max-ish badlands out of it which is always good(You can never have too many Mad Max-ish badlands).
About how the year 1000 could be special... Yeah... Propercies are cliched, but it has definietely some potential... But how about someting applying to astronomy? You know, planet line-ups, asteroid swarms, this kind of stuff, that repeats every 1000 years... Or maybe, maybe... Shatterings being cyclic and repeating every 1000 years?
Ah. Yeah. My main point. Political stuff and whatnot. Lemme remind you that these are just suggestions for you to consider.
Hmm... Yeah, that's a signature... I think I'll keep it that way until I find anything better.
I don't mind at all! Shefton Corp. being that influential opens up a lot of plotty complication for Akira, despite her general disinterest in politics except where it pertains to helping the poor (itself complicated by her non-confrontationalness). Not to mention that while Islan is the owner of Shefton Corp. and therefore has a lot of pull with them, it is controlled by a board of directors...and not all those directors are as altruistic as Akira and her parents.

I really like that setup, basically, both sides have problems, and it looks like Nyarri is going to get itself together real soon and mount an offensive. I'm guessing Emperor Vizmer is childless?
Yeah, so, this pace is maybe a tinsy bit ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I love that so many people are so enthusiastic about my RP, but maybe it's time to impose order on the chaos. We're having some really great discussions, but we're also jumping around all over the place, from one topic to the next without really resolving the first topic. I feel like this kind of pattern could just go round and round without us ever really deciding anything, such that we're perpetually proposing new ideas on top of the old, and then jumping to a new topic before we can decide which idea we should keep. So here's what I'm proposing: we lay out discussion topics in a logical order and then we can discuss each topic completely, one at a time, and no one can propose any ideas on new topics until we come to a decision on the current topic. We end the discussions of each topic with a poll of all the ideas brought up on said topic, and then we vote to determine how Luauthu actually turns out. In order, these topics would be (and feel free to propose alternate orders or bring up topics I missed):

Climate/topography/shape of continent ==> The Shattering/History of the War ==> Kloaya/Nyarri in modern day ==> Races/characters

We could start this now, or we can continue with the discussion we're having now and set some date to begin the organized discussion that will actually resolve all these questions.

You almost killed this thread with your cold words. Luckily, I brought the doctor.

So, I've been loosely following this RP, and am being forced to do this against my will plz send help plan on joining in on the fun. I don't typically do any creative work with non-human intelligent beings (in fact I tend to avoid them like the plague), but I'll pour some salt on my tongue and figure out how to fit in.

There was talk about having rainforest somewhere on the continent. I wanna look into the life forms there. The no-man's land is of particular interest to me. It's like a big frontier that neither government seems to want to touch, but that doesn't mean there aren't smaller, far less civilized structures within.

I've got a character/species concept in the works, shown below in spoilers. Let me know what you think.
Still a W.I.P., and I can't be entirely confident that this doesn't contradict any canon stuff. I'm sure there are more than a few things that I'll need to change, just let me know.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

I think everyone's been waiting for you to do something, BlackInfinity. A decision or a poll or something. However, while we're at it and waiting, I'd like to finally put up my character form/sheet thingy. Just because I hope it’ll do something and maybe spark some creativity in some other people. I hope that you enjoy and hopefully like it. I also hope that what I have doesn't mess people up, or make anything "canon" difficult work with. However, I also like how the heights of Kath’s character species clashes with my own character species. It’s quite interesting to me, if you try to visualize it.

Edited note: With others posting their character, let me know if things clash with what I have up. I'd like to fix the situation at the lowest level first before anything else happens. :) Also, if anyone would want anything clearer or more explained, let me know.

If something needs to be tweaked, I'll see how I can do that. Anyway, here it is:

Goals/Ambitions: (WIP; Maybe? Probably not, though. Any help here? ^^())
Feelings on the War: Duty is duty. But maybe there is something more?
[/spoiler]

Attached Files
.pdf   DragonNormal[1].pdf (Size: 408.51 KB / Downloads: 7)
.pdf   DragonWings[1].pdf (Size: 545.24 KB / Downloads: 5)
Really? Several times I thought about updating, but I was stayed by the double-post stigma. More than that I was waiting to hear other people's ideas about how to proceed. Taav did give me a great suggestion, that perhaps we should move this discussion to a Google Doc, which would allow us greater organization of the many topics that need to be discussed. If people like that idea, I can make a Google Doc and add you guys to it.

Taav, you really don't give yourself enough credit. Nao-Ool is fantastic. I love your dual identity character idea; it's incredibly original.

Kaelyn, I also love your level of detail. I think the Daorarri will fit in great in Luauthu.

I have thought about my own character + race quite a bit, so I will post my character sheet within a few days. My character will be closely tied to the main plot of the RP, so as to better allow me to guide the plot along. He will also have some rather unusual circumstances compared to other player characters.

Lastly, a few contributions to the discussion: one, yes, it very much makes sense to have magic be restricted to the Kloayan side of the continent, but how it's restricted is important. Magic has to be able to be "taken" to the Nyarri side of Luauthu, or else fighting an offensive war would basically be impossible for Kloaya. This war definitely has to be roughly equal in terms of the aggression and capabilities of each side. My suggestion for this is that only people who are born in Kloaya can wield magic. If those people then travel to Nyarri, they will still be able to use magic, but any children they have in Nyarri, regardless of bloodline, will not be able to wield magic.

Second, in line with the prophecy angle, but not necessarily dependent on it, perhaps there can be a savior or sorts, foretold or not, who possesses both magic and technological capabilities. Prophecy, or just general opinion, says that this war can only be ended by a savior wielding both magic and technology, who will unite Kloaya and Nyarri (once more). Feel like this might be a bit cliche, but the idea is solid, and just a bit poetic. It seems the general consensus is that before the Shattering, if magic and technology were not united, they were at least in cooperation. After a thousand years of war, only uniting magic and technology once more can bring peace. Even if we don't go with the "chosen one" angle, this is an idea that I have plans for, which I'm not a hundred percent willing to drop. Even if we don't put this in the lore and setup of Luauthu, I feel it will make a good plot element. It also raises a question: how would such a person come to be? It may be that the rule I just gave in the last paragraph might have to be broken...

Third, an idea for the locations of the two capitals: it's already been suggested that Tekneapolis be a coastal city. This makes sense, the coast is a practical place for a city, as well as an important resource for developing technology. It provides an easy route (the sea) for transporting goods to other ports, as well as guaranteeing access to resources and technologies from other locales. Perhaps Tekneapolis should be located at the point where a major river empties into the ocean, as to give the city a route to landlocked cities. But where Tekneapolis's location is based on practicality, a city built on magic should have a more exotic theme. There has been a lot of talk of mountains, so perhaps Ulanto is built around, on top of, and inside a single mountain. A mountain range is not a good place for a city, so this would be a single mountain, rising from flat plains that stretch for miles all around it. That would give the mountain itself a mystical feel, as well as allowing for an interesting city structure. The physical difference in height suggests a classist society, where the very wealthy and powerful people live near the mountain's summit, while the poor and powerless live in the slums surrounding the mountain. The inside of the mountain can be used, in part, for magical experiments that are dangerous, or which the experimenters don't want people to see.

And fourth, people have noted that both countries shouldn't be able to teleport into the other country to whatever location they want. We could ensure this by saying that teleportation from one country to the other, by portals or other means, only works if going to the border of the other country, because [insert technobabble/magic-y BS here].

Let me know what you think of the Google Doc idea.

Google docs: go do that.

Taavy, did you take inspiration from the Trill of Star Trek? :P

Holy hell, Kaelyn, that's a lot! And very interesting. get to finishing it!
Well, I've been looking at this for a little while and I want in. I even have a character ready. (I also rewatched Pirates of the Caribbean recently, so I drew some inspiration from that)

Still a rough draft at the moment and may be updated as I have ideas. I kind of want to keep the reason for Undredd's long life mysterious for now, but if I have to I can tell you. I will say that he cannot be killed by conventional means, though.