"Luauthu" [Sign Up Thread]
Luauthu is a continent surrounded on all sides by water, about 3.5 million square miles (9.1 million square kilometers) in area, making it about 1.1 times larger than the continental United States in total area. At its widest distance from east coast to west, Luauthu stretches about 5000 mi (8000 km). North to south, longest distance is 3000 mi (4800 km). These measurements are considerably larger than the comparable statistics for the continental United States - at its widest point, Luauthu is about 1.5 times as wide as the widest coast to coast distance of the US, and, similarly, Luauthu is about 1.7 times as "tall" as the US.

Luauthu is a continent split into three rough regions. Two countries exist on Luauthu, and they constitute two of these regions. Between these two countries, in roughly the center of the continent, there exists a "no-man's land" which neither country controls. Nowhere on Luauthu do these two countries border one another directly. This "no-man's land" is about 850 thousand square mi (2.2 million square km), just under a fourth of the total area of the continent. The capital cities of the two respective countries are approximately 3000 mi (4800 km) apart. This is very close to the average distance from the east coast to the west coast of the United States.

On Luauthu there exists both magic and advanced technologies. One country, Kloaya, possesses and controls all the magic available on the continent, but none of the technology. The other country, the Nyarri Empire, possesses and controls all the technology available on the continent, but none of the magic. There is little to no magic or technology available in the "no-man's land." In addition, within each country, the distribution of magic and technology is tremendously unequal. Those who are very wealthy and/or have a great deal of political/social influence possess a great deal, even to obscene levels, of magic or technology, depending on their country. Meanwhile, the very poor possess as little magic/technology as those in the "no-man's land." These two countries have been at war on and off for 1000 years. Exactly 1000 years. The year is 1000 YS (Years since the Shattering), exactly one thousand years since Luauthu "shattered" and the War began. At this moment, the continent is (tensely) enjoying a ceasefire, but dark omens are on the horizon...

Oh, and one more small detail. There are no humans on Luauthu. Nor are their elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, orcs, trolls, ogres, goblins, kobolds... well, you get the idea. The denizens of Luauthu are a strange and varied mix of sapient species, and not all of them are humanoid.

And... that's about it. That is the entirety of what I have made up about this world. This will be a sandbox RP, meaning that the players will be as responsible for creating the world as the GM (me) is. When a player creates his/her character, he/she will first have to make up a race, then place the character in one of the two nations, and then that player will be free to make up whatever details about that country or Luauthu in general that he/she wants. The general plot of the RP will concern the ongoing war between the two nations, and maybe some other stuff (depending on what you guys come up with), but I don't really have anything in mind past that general premise. Suffice to say, not only will we need enough players to start this RP, but enough of the world will have to have been made up by said players so I can have a better idea of what's going on in Luauthu.

That said, this RP is also going to be extremely open ended. The players will start in one of the two capital cities of Kloaya or Nyarri, and from there they can pretty much do whatever they want, literally making up the world as they go along. As GM, I will gradually guide you to the main plot, but for at least a good while in the beginning of the RP, I will more or less be content to let you go wherever and do whatever. Which is not to say I won't interfere with what your character is doing. Semi-regularly throughout the RP (meaning whenever I can get to it/feel like it), I will write up "plot posts" about stuff that happens in Luauthu. These might be about things that happen concerning the main plot, out of the control of any character, or these might be "random events" that happen to your characters. Say two player characters are having a conversation, just minding their own business, and I decide, "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to screw with these guys?" So a random old lady walks up to these two characters and says, "Oh, please, won't you help me, my poor Mr. Smudgems is stuck in a tree!" And you, being the good Luauthians that you are, naturally agree to help this poor old woman get her pet out of the tree. Well, I'm feeling particularly cruel right now, so "Mr. Smudgems" turns out to be an ornery, rhinoceros-sized beast who really doesn't want to get out of that tree. Or maybe Mr. Smudgems is just the Luauthu equivalent of an ordinary housecat. Now say you guys are busy or just plain don't want to help a batty old cat-lady with her stupid Mr. Smudgems. Well, that random old lady that you scoffed off turned out to be a powerful sorceress in disguise, a powerful, easily slighted sorceress, and now she's placed a nasty curse on y'all that can only be lifted through a ridiculously specific and bizarre set of procedures. Or maybe she's just an old woman and that's that. Whether or not you get screwed over depends entirely on my mood.

A note about creating parts of Luauthu: there are exactly two rules concerning what you can and cannot make up in this RP. 1) You may not make up anything about Luauthu that contradicts existing canon. Once someone posts, whatever they've said is part of the official canon of the RP. You may suggest changes to official canon, which will then need the approval of the majority of the active players to go into effect. I will (try to) keep a running list of everything that is canon, but I expect it may become a bit difficult if this RP really takes off. And 2) I reserve the right to veto anything that players make up about Luauthu. I don't expect I will be exercising this right very often, but know that I can. An instance where I might invoke this power is if I feel that something that a player makes up isn't creative or well-developed enough. More likely, I will say something like, "That's interesting, could you give a little more detail please?" or "I like that, but I think it needs an extra twist."

And finally, this RP gives players a great deal of freedom, and I absolutely encourage you to take full advantage of it, even to the point of silliness. Honestly, I would be a bit disappointed if this RP didn't get at least a little silly. But understand that at the heart of this RP are some fundamentally serious, even dark, themes, including class inequality, excessiveness vs poverty, and war. Be as silly as you want (within the given restrictions), as long as you realize that there are going to be at least a few serious moments in this RP.

Questions to Answer:
1. What physical shape is the continent of Luauthu?
2. What are the governments of KA and NE like? What are the cultures and customs and social values like?
3. What are the shapes of KA and NE and the "no man's land?" Once I get enough feedback, I will try to actually draw a map and then upload it. Somehow. In the meantime, feel free to draw and upload your own maps, if you want to/can.
4. What is the "no man's land" called? The term "no man's land" has just been a filler, I want you guys to actually name it and give it a backstory. Why does it have no magic or tech? Why doesn't either country control it? How many people live there? What do the people there live like? How have they been affected by the War?
5. What was "the Shattering?" How much do people know about it? It was a thousand years ago after all. How is it related to the War? Did Kloaya and the Nyarri Empire exist prior to the Shattering, or were they created from it? What did Luauthu look like before the Shattering? How much do people know of what it looked like before the Shattering? A perhaps related question, why does KA possess only magic, and NE possess only tech?
6. Why are KA and NE fighting the War? Most people on Luauthu just call it "the War." Say "the War" anywhere on Luauthu, and everyone knows what you're talking about. Does it have another name, though? Why did it start? Why hasn't it ended? You need a pretty good reason to be at war for a thousand years, ceasefires or not.
7. Is there something significant about the year 1000 YS? Hint: Yes. This RP is starting exactly 1000 years after the Shattering. That has to be significant in some way. So what is it?
8. What is the climate and terrain of Luauthu like? Hot or cold? Wet or dry? Moderate or extreme? Flat or mountainous? Heavily forested or with vast open plains/deserts?

Link to Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MDOS...sp=sharing

कालो ऽस्मि लोकक्षयकृत् प्रवृद्धो लोकान्समाहर्तुमिह प्रवृत्त
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”
-Bhagavad Gita (XI, 32), as quoted by J. Robert Oppenheimer

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

Ooooo, I love world-building! Firstly, do you think any of the species in the 'species' posts of this thread could be adapted to Luauthu?
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
I love it too! I want to be a novelist (and a physics researcher - yeah, we'll see how that goes), but really my one true love is world building. As for your question, can you post a link to this 'species' thread? I can't find it. But the answer will probably be yes - as long as it's not a race that's been done to death a million times before. And I'm willing to make exceptions in certain cases.

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

Snap! Shared life goals.

I did post the link. It's on the 'this'...If necessary, I can PM you the lot.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
Make as well sign up... once I stop being lazy and feel like writing something.
Moderator Hawkman32
Smash Player, Lazy Mod, Horrible Person
Steam FC - 2466 2802 2212 PSN - KingHawk3210

[Image: e5b0d748a4d2d748e9a64d8c3e20799ea0ddadfe...1u1838.png]
Whoops, my bad didn't notice the link. First of all, wow. That's a really cool and well developed world building project. I'm going to say that there are definitely a lot of races you can use from there, but not all. The races I'm not allowing should be pretty obvious: no humans, elves, and I'm not sure about fairies, either. If you really want fairies, then I'll allow it, but I would like it if you would vary the appearance from just 'tiny elves with insect wings.' Maybe add in scales or some other animalistic features, or some other kind of variation on the standard fairy formula. Another suggestion, maybe call them something besides "fairies?" The whole point of this RP is creativity, even down to the little things. Huminals are also great... if you make up the animal. Also, don't be afraid to break from the bipedal body structure! Your race doesn't have to be bipedal in any capacity, as long as it satisfies the given conditions. Also, I already promised my friend that she could be a dragon, so dragons are also on the table.

I didn't consider including the undead in Luauthu, but I actually really like it. Like, a lot. There are a lot of possibilities there. For obvious reasons, I don't think zombies would really work for this RP, but things like vampires or werewolves, would... again, if you introduced some variation. For werewolves, make them turn into something besides wolves. Make up the animal that they turn into! And for vampires, maybe instead of sucking blood they feed on their victims in some other way. Maybe they "suck the souls" out of their victims directly, like a Dementor. Maybe vary their physical appearance as well, from just 'pale w/fangs.' And change their weaknesses, too. Wouldn't it be funny if the supernatural creatures of the Dark were hurt by moonlight instead of sunlight? And of course, make up some name besides "vampire." I don't need that cultural baggage infesting my RP.

Honestly, that sort of 'make up the animal' is what I'm iffy on. Especially since when was the last time you saw a were-crocodile?! Those would be cool. Or were-gavials etc. Real world animals, but the therian in question is still original (there's a reason I always call them 'therianthropes', lycanthropes are just an overdone subset). Ditto huminals; yes, many animals are always used, but you can still be creative with them by grabbing the less used animals! Anthro osprey. Anthro elephant shrew. Anthro gavial (seriously, gavials are underrepresented). You can be perfectly creative by using real world animals. There is no such thing as complete originality. Besides, are you trying to make this as unrelated to real-life as possible? Because that's dangerous, runs the risk of completely breaking any possibility of the audience relating to and thus successfully immersing themselves in the resulting fiction.
Sorry, disregard my previous post. I think I'm just hung up on the way I world-build. I tend to deliberately take something over-used then deliberately put my own spin on it to make it original. Werewolves? Let's introduce were-any-mammal, including outright names based on the 'lycanthrope' term, resulting in kankourothropes and katsikathropes--that's were-kangaroos and were-goats. Fairies? Considered these days to be twinkly little bundles of joy, originally were simply different in thinking. So let's make them aggressively xenophobic and have them divide in two over the whole 'order vs. chaos' thing. Huminals are simply an attempt to actually introduce anthros in a way that won't break the setting. So, yeah, sorry, I just got hung up on our different methods of world-building.
No problem! We definitely have different styles of world building. I try to create my worlds from the ground up, meaning that I borrow as little as possible from other sources. In my other world that I've spent years creating, I have seven different races, none of them human, and none of them at all resembling any traditional fantasy race. But I see now what you're doing, and it's definitely interesting. I was trying to apply only my method of world building to this RP, so I wasn't accounting for other people's tastes and preferences. I also was focusing solely on the physical appearance of player races, and forgot to account for the social/cultural aspects of the races, and how people might be playing with them. So yeah, I like what you're doing, and I think it can work well for Luauthu. As long as you introduce some kind of variation, then you're fine.

For the record, when I say "some kind of variation," it can be almost anything, but generally when I think of spicing up a fantasy race, I consider:

Adding an extra pair of arms
Adding wings
Adding a tail
Increasing/decreasing size
Elongating the neck
Making the body longer and flexible
Change skin texture - hide, scales, different colors, etc.
Adding or taking away hair, fur etc.
Changing body structure - instead of purely bipedal, making a bipedal-like torso on a quadruped body (like a centaur, but less chimera-ish)

And as for social traits, what Kathira said also works beautifully: do the opposite of what you would normally expect.

Also, hint hint: Why make your race organic? Luauthu is a world of magic and technology run amok. Who says you can't be a magical creature or an android? Me? Well, I did say you can't have supernatural powers, but then in practically the next paragraph I said you can have powers originating from magic or tech. So I guess that does muddle things up. Point is, these are very rough guidelines for a reason. If I don't explicitly ban it, then it's allowed.

Right, let's start from the bottom up. Well, at least that's what I'd do. I'm in.

The climate of Luauthu needs to be set - I myself vote for either a very cold, tundra-like biome, or a much hotter climate, more similar to scrublands or maybe even a desert. I like my polar ends, and I think that hot climates aren't done that much, even though they have some interesting possibilities.

Also, are we going to be using fictional fauna and flora alongside the sentient species?
For fauna and flora, we should definitely have fictional varieties, but the question is should we also use real world species, because there is no way we can make up enough fictional species to fully populate Luauthu. I'm all for making up as many races as possible, but I think for practicality's sake we also need to use real world species.

The other option is that we can do what Avatar did, which is create a world populated by many fictional species, most of which are based on real world animals, but with a few common variations. Avatar had horses and monkeys and dingos, but they all had four arms/front legs, and the plants looked somewhat similar to real world plants, except they were all oversized and many of them glowed. So for Luauthu, we can say, "yeah, there are real world animals, but they all have X, Y, and Z characteristics in addition to their real world characteristics." The question then becomes, what are those characteristics that we are adding to all these animals and plants?

And yes, climate is a very important characteristic that needs to be set, one which I definitely did not forget about. Between cold and hot, I'd vote hotter climate, because that introduces the possibility not only of arid plains and deserts, but also rainforests. Luauthu is a pretty big place, so it's unlikely that it would all be uniform in climate. And what about terrain? Flat plains and deserts are cool, but so are mountains.

There definitely needs to be mountains. XD Not only for what I think I might make a character of, but also to drive the climate. You can have both hot and dry, along with cold and rainy. The two complement and drive the other, not to mention the oceans. You are going to have subduction zones under the continent, and you will also have ocean-to-continent convergence, I'm sure. I vote also to have a few new, as well as ancient and buried, fault lines (that can still become active, perhaps one or some in the "no-man's-land"?). I vote for the subduction zone to be on the "magic" side of the divide, which ever one that happens to become. : )

Mountains could also be the border for one side of the "no-man's-land". Who ever said this whole continent was one singular continent to begin with? It could be made of a few landmasses, that due to tectonic activity, merged together. That would also mean we need to point out which part of the ocean is a mid-ocean ridge, where new ocean floor is being created. Though, I AM taking it for granted that the planet this landmass is on follows the conventions of geology as taught in real life. ^^()
Goals/Ambitions: Akira is driven by the desire to help others, but could be better at it if she was more willing to engage in confrontation. Then, maybe she could actually help stage a protest to try and get the rest of the rich to stop widening the wealth gap and start shrinking it.
Feelings on the War: Leaving blank for now.
[/spoiler]

Climate wise, I was hoping we could arrange it so there was a bit of everything in both regions, but that 'no man's land' was at least barren desert and hard to inhabit. Specifically, the only inhabitants are wild bandit and raider tribes of nomads and hermit nutters. Otherwise, there needs to be rivers, coast, and rainforest somewhere.

I also have a non-sentient race for Luauthu, if you're interested.
Yes, yes, and abso-friggin-lutely yes. I love the Kharish, I love the Ketacoab, and I love Akira. Accepted, accepted, accepted. Updating Official Canon and creating a player's list.

I like the idea of the "no man's land" (seriously, we need a better name for that region) being a lawless area of bandits and raiders and crazy folk. Maybe these outlaws can have coalesced into several loose "pirate nations," so to speak, who then make regular raids on the bordertowns of Kloaya and the Nyarri Empire. Although, if KA and NE are fighting a war, those borders are going to be heavily defended, and the bandits don't have any magic or tech. So maybe instead, there are some simple honest folk in the "no man's land" just trying to live out their lives, and they are the targets of these outlaws. I mean, you can't really have a thief without a person to steal from, so if the bandits can't steal from KA or NE, then there have to be people in the "no man's land" whom they can steal from, or else, no bandits.

Also, it would make sense for a "no man's land" to be a barren desert, but it's also probably barren because it has been the sight of an ongoing war for a thousand years. A war like that destroys natural ecosystems. So it would up the sense of tragedy if the "no man's land" had been a lush rainforest that has now been destroyed and replaced by barren wastelands by a thousand years of fighting. Incidentally, this would also give the natives a good reason to leave their homes and become bandits and raiders: their homes have been destroyed. Now they are enraged and embittered, and forming loose warbands to fight back against both KA and the NE. But some of those "freedom fighters" are really just thieves and bullies. I smell an environmentalist theme brewing...

Wowowowowowowowow what

If we're going to have a decent world building project, we definitely should be doing this like a democracy - just saying "yes, I like this idea now, it's canon" is only going to pull the plug on this project.

That's not to say I don't like the things Kathira suggested, but it's to say we should definitely be more cautious about what we're doing - if I go to sleep, and awaken to the climate being set in stone, one of the main species being completed and some side species too, along with some of the main lore being set, then I'm going to have to leave the project, because that's a rather rash move to say the least.
I'm with Kyu on this one. While it's nice to your ideas aren't going to be second-guessed too much (I'm kinda neurotic -_-), it's entirely possible for you to be working on an idea (I spent about four hours on my last post) only for someone else to post something into the canon just before you that completely prevents your own awesome idea you've been working on for hours. All that work, wasted.

Which is actually the reason wrote the Kharish while believing Luauthu to be, climate wise, a combination of the US and Canada, while only referencing what's necessary for the Kharish so as to not preclude other climates. I ended up thinking of Techneapolis as Miami, for some bizarre reason, while the Kharish are originally from those swampy bits of the Southern US. Kharish: started gavials/gharials, got the range of saltwater crocodiles, some ended up on the coast.

None of this is necessarily Luauthu canon, by the way. Just an insight into my weirdo brain.
I think I will agree with Kath and Kyurem, although you said in your first post that this was what you were planning to do (I think it was the first post). Anyway, Kath makes a valid point, and the other things can be agreed upon and tweaked until everyone likes it. We are all adults, and know what a balanced climate should be like; one thing influences another and in turn, influences another. And whatnot.

BTW, Kath, I'm still working on mine. I've been thinking about it and doing stuff with it ever since yesterday. x3
Oh god, I hope the Kharish haven't scuppered yours! *flails*

I just had a few thoughts regarding language. Of course, when actually playing, we'll be relying on Translation Convention, but what language is actually being used in Luauthu? We'll probably end up with a variety of different species, and the size of Luauthu means that species won't just be the only indicator of a possible different language spoken; any sufficiently common and widespread species will end up with some of that species speaking a different language to others of that same species.

For the sake of clarity in civilisation, both Nyarri and Kloaya will have their own 'official language' that is the most commonly spoken in regions where Things Happen ™ and the one used in official government documents and by the government. For example, my character, Akira the Nyarri Kharish, will be fluent in both Kharishi but also in the common tongue of Nyarri. For simplicity's sake, I think we should just name the languages used and say how the resulting accent would likely end up, accounting for regional differences as well.

Thoughts? If given the go-ahead, I'll talk about the Kharish language and bit more on how they sound, along with a few thoughts on the common tongues.
For the record, I agree with you on the whole democratic process. When I was imagining this RP, I was thinking that people were just going to propose things and that would be that, but that's obviously not what's happening and in fact this is much better. The only things I have made official canon are the Kharish and the Ketacoab, as well as that Tekneapolis is a coastal city and there exists another city named Shefton in the Nyarri Empire. If people want to change Tekneapolis's location, that's fine, although that may put a wrench in Kath's character. I have not made anything official regarding climate or lore; what I posted in my reply to Kath were nothing more than suggestions. Apologies if I phrased them differently than that.

What I was actually thinking as to how to decide official canon is that once we have fully discussed an issue, we can compile a list of the possibilities we have come up with, and then I can create a poll, and we can vote on the issue. Does this sound like a good idea?

I have been imagining races, at least each player's own race, to be their own personal creation, and thus not beholden to the approval of other players, as long as they don't contradict existing canon. Are we going to be debating player races as well as everything else?

As for languages, I have been imagining that there is a "common tongue" spoken by everyone on Luauthu, in addition to racial and local languages, which this RP is being "told in." In fact I technically (kinda) said so in my initial post, but if people want to have multiple languages spoken with language barriers being more common, then that's fine. More interesting, actually. Language barriers are another way to increase tension between people, and Luauthu is a cooking pot of tension.

Nope, that's fine, one common tongue is enough, really. To be honest, I've forgotten where I was going with that. Blame Scarecrow.