The Taavern
I've been meaning to make a miscellaneous gallery of some of my work for a long time, and it's finally here. Since starting college, I've been pursuing several artistic endeavors, including graphic art, pixel art, drawing, and music composition. I finally have enough stuff to share here. I'd seriously love any constructive criticism you can give me, because I'm always looking to improve.

As far as requests go, I'm not gonna be doing anything formal. My availability is far too inconsistent to be working through a list of requests. The one thing that I will have open requests for are trainer cards/banners, because they are trivial to make from the templates I create. If you wish to request something else, PM me, and I'll see what I can do.

Mah Stuff:
I'll pop in every so often, to add more stuff. Hopefully better stuff, but that's optimistic.

Aside from the Pokemon images, the PT logo, and the base images for the photoshop'd images, everything on this page is my own. If you would like to use something on this page for any reason, shoot me a PM. I'll probably say "That's cool!", and give you a thumbs up, but please ask! It's better that I know. Thanksss.
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

APRIL 25th, 2015

I've decided that I'm going to try to update this thread with new things at the end of each month. And, since I posted this a day and a month ago, I might as well do just that!

Update #1: Light Blue with Logo: V2
[Image: W5KYthv.png]
Looking back at the first trainer banner I made, I realized that it kinda sucked. For a first try, it was not bad by all means, but I'm a little better with GraphicsGale now. This one is a newer version of the first one, which fixes some of the things I hate about the first one. The font colors were picked to stand out more, and I've added some different texture to the top and bottom. I just hope I didn't overdo it this time.

Update #2: VS Luthire (Pokemon B/W)
[Image: P3dvTN9.png]
Lucy's got style. B/W protagonist really needs to chill.
Ignore the fact that I made one of the hands facing the wrong direction... I'll fix that later.

Ehh.. Making a VS mug for Luthire has been on my to-do list for a while, but only recently have I had the time to actually attempt it. I'm not too surprised with the result. I always struggle with the same things, sadly.

In particular, I'm downright terrible with hair and hands. Part of my goal with the Pokemon-themed scratches I make is to do everything I can to match the colors and style of the official sprites, so that it feels like my work could be in the game. Imitation is flattery I guess, but it also helps me get a feel for how I should be shading... which will help me out in the long run.

Overall, I feel as though this has been a moderate success. I can still see plenty of flaws in the hair and the curled up fingers too, but I am at least somewhat satisfied with the pose, the eyes, and the smile. I will most likely be doing minor touch-ups for the next few weeks - if I have the time.

Old Stuff #1: Archie the Wooper

As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for reading!
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

Oh hey, it's that time.

Update - MAY 31st, 2015

Update #1: Luthire (18)
[Image: eNP03si.png]

Not much to say about this. Added the backpack, and fixed up the fist and eyes.

Update #2: Celinda vs. Luthire
[Image: WHBRhpb.png]

Ugh... I tried. Plenty of things to improve on here. Oh well, that's for another time.

Old Stuff #2: Misc Sprites
Found some old stuff in an abandoned folder.
[Image: V3Nw7Yq.gif][Image: IF1v5YN.gif][Image: RDMx7Gn.png][Image: jd0QwDN.gif][Image: fBn5r2y.gif][Image: 7PZegCW.gif][Image: 0Uw1a9y.gif][Image: DT3uyVT.gif]

My computer tells me these are from 2008-09, so I was... uh... 13. That's adorable.
obama sprite is still hilarious seven years later
~ Taav

Update - June 28th, 2015

No point in waiting, since I have a bunch of stuff prepared.

Update #1: Tacitus
[Image: piG9Nba.png]

This is Tacitus, Chancellor of Norland. He is the youngest Chancellor to date, and he's probably one of the most able politicians history has seen in a while.

Is that out of context? Yes, it most certainly is! Anyway, this took me a really long time to make. He started out as just a quick character sketch that I dropped a long time ago because I couldn't make him look right. Only recently did I start playing with the file again, and was able to transform it into something I liked. It took me a long time to settle on his color scheme, clothing, hair, etc, but I'm quite proud of how he came out.

Hair still looks a bit funky on the left side especially, but other than that, I think it's probably one of my best scratches to date.

Update #2: Lord Thundermore

[Image: Yf3QywG.png]

I suddenly had an urge to do this. Don't know why exactly, but I've always thought of Thunderma as a really fancy lizard. It's probably the smile, and the eyes. Whatever the case, this happened.

And you know what? It came out surprisingly well. I think that hat really takes the cake, because the shading just works perfectly, and I really didn't expect that rose to come out as well as it did. The Monacle's pretty sweet too. I'm glad I was able to get a little glare on it. Other than that, this is pretty simple - just an established Thunderma showing off his affluence while sipping fizzy fun juice from a wine glass.

Update #3: Celinda (fixed)

[Image: mPvKOrl.png]
Just in time for the rival battle!

Still far from perfect, but much much much better than before. I tried my best to get rid of all the awful pillow-shading on the jacket, and I think I did a reasonable job with that. Hated the peace sign, so I got rid of that completely in exchange for a pointed thumb. And I finally found a way to shade that hat that doesn't suck miserably. Still not perfect, but it's also much closer to the style of the actual Black/White versus sprites.

Old Stuff #3: Spoilers!
[Image: iyuKUZT.png]

"Hello, Ike. Remember me?"
~ Taav

Well, I already said I liked your thunderma avatar, and it did turn out really well. I don't know if you've looked at it on a dark background, though--the purple pixels on the hat look very strange, which is weird because I don't see that problem on your other sprites.

The last one is old? I'm guessing it's a pixel-over?
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
Thank you Negrek!

The purple pixels are meant to act as a little anti-aliasing, which looks fine on lighter backgrounds, but not at all on darker backgrounds. I should probably add a little more AA, or have none at all.. what I have right now doesn't seem to be helping much. All of my sprites have none, which definitely works better on dark backgrounds, but not lighter ones.

Also, I'm noticing that I didn't use any AA on the rest of the sprite, which makes it look really out of place on the hat. I'll have to decide which way would look better. :/

The last one is just a silly edit I made in paint a long time ago. I basically just plopped on a specific character's head in place of another's. The joke is apparent if you've finished Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and its sequel Radiant Dawn. That image itself is a huge plot hole.
~ Taav

Update - July 30th, 2015

Bleah. Summer job has been keeping me from doing much over the past few weeks. Luckily, I've got one more week after this, and I'm home free. Then, I have one free week of Summer, and then I'm heading out for school early for job training. Such is the yearly life of the Taav.

But hey, I finally made a trainer card template. Upgraded my GraphicsGale to the full version for a whopping 1995円, and now I will be able to do some more complex stuff. Anyway, update!

Update #1: Trainer Card Template (Turquoise v1)

[Image: 5utftRp.png]

Started with blue/turquoise because... you know... Anyway, this took me so long to figure out simply because I wasn't sure how to approach it. For instance, what size did I want it to be? I tested a lot of different sizes, and this seems to work best for my needs. Similarly, I have been working on a bunch of different background designs of varying complexities. If you look at my trainer banners, you see that they lack an interesting design - just a bunch of patterned backgrounds that don't resemble anything. The official trainer cards from Black and White were great, and I wanted to use those as models... but they were far too complex (I try to stick with 16 colors whenever possible). I wanted to do some custom backgrounds, and I had some great ideas, but nothing I tried came out right.

This time, however, I figured it out somehow. Motivated by my end-of-the-month deadline, I just did it. And it didn't come out too bad.

That's it. Just got my audio interface in the mail today, and it works great. However, I haven't had any time to record from it. And I've got a bunch of other small project things in the works. Until next month...
~ Taav

Procrastination!

Update - August 31st, 2015

It's been a busy month. Not only did I finish my final week of my Summer Internship, but I also got the opportunity to return to school an entire week early for job training. As such, my schedule's been all over the place, and I haven't had a lot of time.

That being said, I did manage to scramble enough time to complete one thing, and start another. Both are strange, and won't make any sense unless I explain the references.

Update #1: Uhhh...
[Image: fgZbsVe.png]

That's me. Yes, I did a selfie. I wanted to do something completely new, and I've never actually tried to draw myself. So yeah, I kinda look like this. Kinda. And I do wear aviators and that incredibly freaky spider hat pretty much everywhere I go. So yeah... uh... hi!

This is, like most of my stuff, 4bpp, which means I limit myself to 16 colors max. For such restrictions, I think I did a fairly decent job. I'm especially proud of that hand, as it was a huge pain getting the shading to look right. The hat was also difficult to figure out, and the shirt... I had absolutely no idea how I was going to shade that. I think I figured it out though!

Update #2: The Power of Friendship
[Image: tsxKZ2y.png]

This is the unfinished thing. I've been wanting to draw some game characters for a while, and I love Jungo (both the cat and the human), so Jungo it was. Naturally, I wanted him to doing something bad ass, so came up with a great idea. Of course, it's not finished, so I'm not going to try explaining it just yet. If you're curious, these are both characters from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2.

As this is a WIP, it gives a little insight on how I like to start drawing. I don't do line art first - I start with shapes and play around with colors. Then, I start to focus on shading where it's most needed (Keita's shoulders, Jungo's hat, etc), and I work from there.

Gonna add a to do list here, so I can feel more guilty if I don't work on old things:
To do:
- The Power of Friendship (finish)
- Tacitus (edit)
- Lord Thundermore (animation)
- Trainer Card / Banner Templates
- クラピカ
- Norlai

Taav out.
~ Taav

Update - September 30th, 2015

So... I've been busy, like the rest of you. But today's the last day of the month, and I managed to make some interesting things to show, of differing quality.

Update #1: Norlai
[Image: qaebBwf.png]
Welp. This is Norlai. Mysterious dude wielding a giant piece of black chalk a baton. He's got a funny hat (looks kinda like a beret... though that's not what I was going for), and he sports a sleeveless trench coat. Not sure exactly why I decided to draw him from the back, but I will make a more front-facing version eventually.

Update #2: Luthire 2.0?
[Image: ZSEc1zu.png]
Speaking of different versions, here's Luthire... again! He's taken a more aggressive stance, and is holding a tree branch a wooden sword (which is lacking a hilt guard, because I haven't gotten that far). His hair is no longer tied into a pony tail, and his pack has been replaced with a cloak of sorts. Definitely still a WIP.

Update #3: Look guys, I made a vector thingy!
lizard.png
And now for something... completely different. So, as you probably don't know, I work as my college's library, helping with hardware and software related issues. In addition to helping people, we are paid to work independently on training courses for software such as Wordpress, Microsoft Office, and Photoshop, Illustrator and Premier from the Adobe CS6 suite. We are required to do this so that we may better understand the software we are supposed to help people with.

As such, I'm currently working on an Illustrator project that I will need to submit soon. The assignment was to create an animal of sorts using this turorial. I've been working on my on and off since last weekend, and I think I'm almost ready to submit.

It's a huge PNG file, which is why I've included it as a link. Illustrator is used to create vector images, and as such this line of work is polar opposite to pixel art. Instead of manipulating pixels in a bitmap image, the image data is saved as a set of mathematical formulas, shapes, etc that can be manipulated easily from within the program. The greatest advantage of this is that you lose practically no quality when you want to resize things, so it's useful for logos, and simplistic pieces of artwork.

Haven't made much progress on any of the other things I set out to do. I'll get back to some of my older stuff eventually.
~ Taav

Deadline time.

Update - October 31st, 2015

Eeeh. School's been rough. I really should've spent as much time as I did in GraphicsGale (which wasn't really much, I'm just really busy). Gonna make this update short, so I can take work on my biology paper and my computing theory lab.

Update #1: Rhett Adrondl - Fighting Stance

[Image: TUDBZmz.gif]

This is Rhett, a freelance mercenary. An extremely versatile fighter, Rhett can wield a variety of different weapons, as well as operate them simultaneously. Even so, he's perfectly capable without any weapons, and is a renowned champion at melee combat. His personality is somewhat introverted and insensitive, and as such he is often left to himself during social situations.

With my upgrade to the full version of GG, I can now do animation. Quite frankly, it was worth the price. The animation suite is really easy to use, and works well alongside layers and other features within the application.

Animation is tough, and I'm not very good at it yet. Trying to think about how human joints work in the context of a 2D image is pretty daunting for me, and I'm only working on basic movements. I feel that the leg animations came out well, but I'm very iffy about the left am. Likewise, the feet didn't come out as I would have liked, though they're not nearly as distracting as the arm. I've got some work ahead of me.

For next month, I'd like to switch gears back into trainer card templates, and banners. It's gonna be busy though... with finals only six weeks away.
~ Taav

Cutting it real close here.

Update #1: Reason Projects

I had some time to work on some of my projects this break, but most of them fell short. I've got some interesting things in the works, but they're not even close to the point of completion. And so, I'll take this chance to post some music that I've been working on.

https://soundcloud.com/taav-isaac/war-tundra2/s-iiizu
https://soundcloud.com/taav-isaac/toxic-ocean/s-LLHoz
https://soundcloud.com/taav-isaac/pixel-wrath/s-qFx5n

Feel free to comment and offer suggestions. I'm definitely open to criticism.

Update #2: PT Userbar

Smaller than a banner, yet still noticeable. I made this userbar for advertising on other forums, in attempts to bring some new members to the community. Feel free to use it, and if you have any suggestions on how I can make it better, let me know!

[Image: z21aYdJ.png]
~ Taav

Happy 2016 and stuff.

Speaking of stuff, I've been doing a lot of stuff since the fall semester ended. Break feels so good! I've only been out for 10 days or so, but I've got some interesting projects rolling. Here, I will share a few.

Update: December 31st, 2015

Update #1: More Reason Projects

Makin' terrible music as per usual. Most of it isn't finished, so I just took snippets from all of the files I've been working on, and made a thing. Said thing can be listened to here.

Update #2: アーチャー

[Image: wvPK0F8.png][Image: qluo4Ua.png]

It's Archer, from Fate\stay night! He's not looking too happy right now - is Tosaka giving him a hard time again? That, or perhaps it has to do with the Santa hat? We may never learn the truth.

Update #3: Serpent Red Trainer Card

[Image: gO5enC0.png]

Not too much to say about this. Red + Black recoloring of the other card I made, plus I tried to be 'creative' by putting a snake outline thing in the background.

Update #4: Aedyl

[Image: HiGlz5u.png]

Sweet dreams, friends.
~ Taav

I really like these. Keep up the great work :D

Just realized how much that sounds like a slightly disappointed art teacher ;-;
Moderator Hawkman32
Smash Player, Lazy Mod, Horrible Person
Steam FC - 2466 2802 2212 PSN - KingHawk3210

[Image: e5b0d748a4d2d748e9a64d8c3e20799ea0ddadfe...1u1838.png]
Oh nice, I really like the trainer card you made! (you should make me one...I just don't have any trainer sprites)
do you have a base template you use for it?

The userbar and Aedyl look pretty awesome too. Is Aedyl a character in something of yours?
Pokémon Turquoise
Administrator | Friendly Dude | Resident Ghost Humanoid
Feel free to PM me for anything you might need

Currently: HERE | Until: The Foreseeable Future

Thanks Hawkman, Chron. You guys are too kind ^_^

I would be happy to handle any card requests. I have templates of course - I'm just a little hesitant to post them unfilled for *reasons*. As for Aedyl, he's a little something I've cooked up for my own little fantasy universe, the same one from which pretty much all my characters come from.
~ Taav

Could you make me a trainer card? Is there anything in particular that you need?
Moderator Hawkman32
Smash Player, Lazy Mod, Horrible Person
Steam FC - 2466 2802 2212 PSN - KingHawk3210

[Image: e5b0d748a4d2d748e9a64d8c3e20799ea0ddadfe...1u1838.png]