Player + Rival Pokemon
Hello, I might be a bit new but I think I've looked around enough to have a few questions.

Firstly, I've seen some people join already having a Pokemon that is around starter level, then getting an official starter after that. Can that be done, or does some special qualification need to happen before that?

Secondly, how does the rival work? I usually only see the rival's starter Pokemon in Profiles, without levels or whatnot. Are there specific points in the journey that you battle them after the first time, like after x amount of cities or badges? And does the rival's team consist of Pokemon chosen by staff, because I have heard that the closest thing one could do would be requesting a theme of a certain type, etc?

Sorry for all of these, but I'm just wondering.
Those Pokemon that you see at starter level are probably Birthday Promo Pokemon. There are some rules about what Pokemon you can select but you don't need some qualification to get one.

Throughout the island, there are some towns with the thread title "Rival Battle #2-7". You'd usually face your rival at these points after you get a badge.
(03-22-2015, 03:37 PM)Kamiko Fang Wrote: Firstly, I've seen some people join already having a Pokemon that is around starter level, then getting an official starter after that. Can that be done, or does some special qualification need to happen before that?
This happens only when certain giveaways are going on at the time. The player gets an official starter in the usual way and gets another mon of the same level via a giveaway before actually starting. This happened most in my experience when the GEN VI updates promo was going on--I, for example, got one of the then most recent New Logoran released mons via the giveaway to go along with my Crocoal starter. Sadly, this promo is no longer active. The only promo on now is the birthday one, so you'll have to check that one out if you're desperate to get another mon without catching anything yet.

(03-22-2015, 03:37 PM)Kamiko Fang Wrote: Secondly, how does the rival work? I usually only see the rival's starter Pokemon in Profiles, without levels or whatnot. Are there specific points in the journey that you battle them after the first time, like after x amount of cities or badges? And does the rival's team consist of Pokemon chosen by staff, because I have heard that the closest thing one could do would be requesting a theme of a certain type, etc?
At several points in your journey, usually after getting badges, your rival will battle you again with a new team. The team listed is, I believe, all that you're allowed to know your opponent has at that point. Pokemon are indeed chosen by the staff member playing your rival during the battle, the same as any random trainer battle, although to have a certain mon or to follow a certain theme is allowed for what I believe to be any storyline purpose the player has in mind. Rivals only show up during rival battles, or in a purely storyline appearance if that's how you want them to be. (Example, my rival is my character's brother and makes repeated appearances in my adventure but has only battled me once. As a result, I only know about one of his mons but continue to involve him in my story.)

Further hints: Don't restrict yourself to the forums where your character is currently located, look at every single other location as well. There is no set route through New Logora, so this can help you plan your route, and show you where the rival battles are. Also check the entire Global Plaza, that'll help you with what items can be bought and for how much, and keep you up to date on the promos.

Hope this helps. If a staff member can point out anything I've missed, that'd be great.
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
Alright, thanks for the help. I usually either see full on Pokemon role playing just like the game or the 'do whatever' kind. Having a mix (stats, choose your own route, fakemon) is a bit new to me, but I'll figure it out.