[OPEN] Zen
"Nice weather, isn't it?"

With that, the bizarre little kid walked off, never looking back, as if Shado simply did not exist anymore. She stood there, staring after him, dumbfounded. He was definitely crazy. But he had also peaked her interest. Besides, she really had nothing better to do than to follow and/or pester this kid.

She briefly considered blocking his path again, demanding answers, but she was too curious as to where he was in such a rush to go. She considered tailing him, hiding in shadows in order to observe his movements unseen, but then she thought, what's the point? She had confronted him, so it was extremely unlikely he had some agenda against her. And besides, she had just arrived in this plane. No one here had any reason to do her harm. Hopefully. So she Walked from shadow to shadow, always appearing just ahead of the boy, standing in plain view if a bit obscured by darkness.

If he wanted to confront her about it, he was welcome to.
कालो ऽस्मि लोकक्षयकृत् प्रवृद्धो लोकान्समाहर्तुमिह प्रवृत्त
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”
-Bhagavad Gita (XI, 32), as quoted by J. Robert Oppenheimer

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

OOC: Hooray for being forever alone :D

Why did I do this...

I had, for some money, agreed to fight a shark. What I wasn't told, however, is that this shark was absolutely massive. I was running back to town to inform someone, anyone about this. I had recently heard of a few capable fighters. I heard of a person with an umbrella who came into the area recently. I ran back to the city and jumped on a building, attempting to locate him. I saw him and I jumped down in front of him, landing on his shadow. He was a kid.

"I need help and I heard you were a capable fighter. Mind helping someone out?"
Moderator Hawkman32
Smash Player, Lazy Mod, Horrible Person
Steam FC - 2466 2802 2212 PSN - KingHawk3210

[Image: e5b0d748a4d2d748e9a64d8c3e20799ea0ddadfe...1u1838.png]
On his walk, Ozihcs wondered how, once he got to his home world, he would avoid being sent back to Doom Asylum. He had attempted to escape that place after all, before being sucked into the spiral. Maybe his first option would be to leave the city, since its dreary atmosphere made him quite uncomfortable. People were still watching him, he believed.

The people watching him appeared to be the masked warrior, who was peeking from almost every shadow that he passed. Often, the warrior would stand almost non-obscured, so peeking was perhaps not the right word, but why would a shadow ninja wish to be seen? As Ozihcs asked himself what was the shadow warrior's intentions, another stranger appeared before him, asking a question that both surprised and puzzled him.

At first, the stranger looked like a person who would easily blend into a crowd, but then, Ozihcs would notice a frightening characteristic, though he could not tell exactly what it was. He guessed that the people in this dark city had a more or less scary or suspicious look.

"Fighter . . .?" Ozihcs did not see himself as a fighter. He was stubborn, yes, but by fighter the stranger probably meant someone going into battle with another person, using fists or weapons to cause as much damage as possible, while trying to avoid getting hurt himself. Ozihcs could come up with plans of how to trick an opponent, but he was usually too eager or too stubborn to see when his plans were going to fail. His friend Mental-Casey was a bit more clever than he, although he did want to admit this. It was Mental-Casey who came up with all the nice inventions, like the three-steerable bicycle that he would use to escape the asylum. It was powered by sine waves, but Ozihcs had at that time happened to steal the sine waves to make his own escape . . . which had ended in utter failure.

Ozihcs was more adventurous than Mental-Casey, though, and did not see how he could not help this person, whether he was a fighter or not.

"Of course! Let's see . . . I guess shadow-ninja here can do the . . . eh . . . fighting stuff?"

Ozihcs had of course no idea what sort of help the young man wanted, but getting himself into trouble was one of Ozihcs great skills.
OOC: Well, that was a bust. I was going to make a rough estimate of how much force Kathira's jets put out based on very rough guesses for how high she jumps (half a metre from vertical jump alone, another half metre in that same jump from jet burst one, a further two metres from the jet-only midair jump) and use that to see if those two bursts, used right, could mathematically slow a fall from a six-storey building. F=mgh, so I was about to plug numbers in for the force when I realised that Kathira doesn't have a fixed mass anymore. Constant repairs with different metals will alter her mass on a regular basis, but using this to alter her jump height based on mass would break her jumping ability, I feel. For the sake of balance, I'm going to have to force jet force to be roughly the same forever, regardless of how scientifically inaccurate that is, and simply let this plan work without regard for science. *sigh*

Am I too nerdy over this sort of thing?
Kathira tilted her head in confusion. 'Runes? What sort of written enchantment would be useful here?' A sort of light bulb came on in her head. Figuratively, of course. 'OH! You're a sorcerer, right, taking mana directly from mana stones to power your spellwork! Water based, too, those sorcerers rarely show up, water's considered too boring to learn.'
She started pacing. 'And how would it be used to get up a damn building? Rain falls down, not up, and you can't make platforms with it, water itself when compressed into a platform you can stand on turns to ice and then you need to use an entirely different mana to move it, better to be an ice sorcerer and outright freeze the puddle before lifting. I suppose the raw mana could be solidified and a platform made of that but that's much easier and more practical with light, dark, or fire. What, did you make a geyser or something?'
Kathira was rambling based entirely on the basics of mana from her own world, a system rarely seen outside that universe but detailed enough and required education for all angels. She was aware that other universes often had their own methods of using magic, an awareness that suddenly started prodding her thought process with a stick and forcing it to come crashing to a halt. She stopped pacing and immediately dropped her face into a waiting palm. 'Oh, what am I saying, magic a is not magic b, never mind. I'd be interested in how your magic system works, though.'
The smile returned. 'I was going to do something a little more direct. Angels are naturally capable of flight. Would you mind if carried you off the building?'
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
OOC: Nooo, you're not too nerdy, it's awesome that you actually care about being realistic. Lots of writers just do stuff and expect you to just follow along; anything else is an exceptional trait, I would think.
"F-fly?" Booker blushed profusely. Why was he blushing? Flying wasn't new to him. He had done so on several occasions, during the Rains. The idea of having a large woman carry him through the air was another thing altogether, though...

"I... I suppose, if we must..." He wasn't sure how to initiate the sequence, so he just waited for the angel to pick him up. "By the way, what's... mana, was it?"
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
OOC: Did somebody say... nerdy?

Lemma Number 613: If A is a well-defined integer function within an antiset spanning R^4, then every subset a of A must have a well-defined antiset spanning R^3. Proven in Theory. Ready for Testing...

A geometrically unsophisticated kid and his only friend work side-by-side within an abandoned plane of the known world. The kid had been there for as long as he could remember , with no recollection of how or why he was here. His first memories were of books - thousands of them - spaced equally on a shelf that seemed to expand the horizontal infinity itself. For many years, the kid lived alone in this world, with nothing but the information and ideas collected from societies long gone and far removed.

This is Remna. Up to this point, Remna has spent the majority of his existence regaining the knowledge he had been given access to long ago, making it his own. While he has learned of many societies and peoples existing throughout history, he has never met a fellow human - as memory would have it. Relative to common objects in his world, Remna stands at about 4 feet and 3 inches. He has short, black hair, and wears simple white clothing. His looks are characteristic of his own people - which of course only consists of himself. What am I talking about?

Lying next to Remna is Gror, Remna's only friend. It is an artificial complex that appears to behave as a form of intelligence. Gror is the unanticipated result of a experimental procedure. Some unspecified time ago, Remna was attempting to simulate an old disjoint set proof using a segmented neural network running through a physical representation of a venn/euler diagram, when he accidentally knocked his "Orb of less-finite knowledge" into the system. This slip ripped a hole into the xy-plane that mapped Remna's world into the imaginary world, and in the process created Gror. Science has yet to determine the underlying cause of Gror's birth, but hey, we're working on it.

Gror is of an unquantifiable shape. It appears in the form of an Euler diagram with three overlaying sets represented as radially symmetrical circles. It seems to be able to move in and out of the known world at will, shrinking and expanding in a non-intuitive fashion. No one understands why this is. It also appears to have obtained the contents of the "Orb of less-finite knowledge", represented by a dense mass in his center. Having no physical characteristics of a human being, Remna took it upon himself to draw a face in his center.

-------------------------------------------

And so, back to the present. Remna and Gror are working on their latest project - to escape their world. Quite frankly, it's been fairly boring for them. Remna has read countless stacks and heaps of text, and Gror processes the knowledge of a mysterious artifact that I might actually explain eventually. There was little left for Remna in this world, so he decided it was time to utilize his knowledge to find an exit.

Luckily, he didn't have to think too hard about it. As previously mentioned, his mishaps with Gror caused a portion of his plane to map itself onto an imaginary axis. In theory... he could map himself onto this axis, travel down it, and then reemerge onto a completely different plane. It was a plausible idea, but to know for sure, he would have to test it out.

Remna retrieved his collection of favorite books to bring with him incase he couldn't return home. He decided that he should travel lightly, so he narrowed down his portable collection to only 10,000 volumes. Requiring all other basic needs, he felt the urge to bring one other object with him. "The Pistol", as the books called it, could fire rounded projectiles at great speeds into a target. He had always found it to be a bit boring - why would anyone make such a stupid machine? All it did was take a piece of mass and displace it a few hundred meters, nothing special. Historically, it had been used to slay monsters and humans alike - which Remna thought to be mildly pathetic. Why would humans need to build something to slay other humans? Lowering the population of humans would only hurt the humans. Remna figured if he had a human friend, he wouldn't shoot him or her.

All setup was now complete. Remna stepped inside Gror - yes, he can do that. Gror proceeded to roll into the integer function that would map them into a new world.

[insert awesome sound effects here]
-----------------------------------------------

I will not explain the imaginary world, as it is imaginary. The first thing Remna perceived as he stepped out of Gror was wet. Water, most likely, and a lot of it. He gasped as the heavy liquid engulfed him causing his lungs to collapse momentarily. He quickly jumped inside Gror for safety and fresh air.

Viewing Gror from the inside, he realized something had gone awry. His left subset was filled with a massive sea creature! Remna quickly concluded that the creature had been there before he emerged into this existence, and Gror somehow materialized onto it. How odd...

This place was fascinating! Remna recalled from his sea anatomy text that this strange thing was "The Shark". He wasn't aware that they came in this size - perhaps it was "The Megalodon", or another pre-human species of sea monster? Whatever it was, it was probably delicious. He'd hold onto it for later.

Gror eventually floated onto a shore. Remna stepped out once again, and instead of being greeted by harsh sea, he was stuck by the view of a magnificent city. He hoped there were other humans there... Already encountering one form of life, he thought it plausible for humans to exist here. Perhaps he could make a new "friend", as the books said, or a new "enemy" so he could understand the purpose of a gun.

With Gror in tow, and the shark safely secured, he took his first steps into this interesting world.

OOC: First post and I've taken a shark hostage. Your move, peeps."
~ Taav
Taavministrator // Senior Bracer
[Image: GziDAAU.png]
[Image: YfzdtMe.png]
Avatar/Signature theme: Estelle Bright of the Trails in the Sky series.

OOC: @Bake: You have taken a shark hostage. That is so awesome.
@Dazel: *phew* It's honestly this kind of overthinking that led to Kathira's strengths and weaknesses being what there are. I hate having to say '[urlhttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt]A Wizard Did It[/url]' (or 'hyper-advanced technology did it' in this case).[/url]
'Mana, my friend, is basically energy used for magic! In the system I use, that is. That's the shortest answer I can come up with. Alley-oop!' Kathira scooped Booker up with ease, utilising the one person lift as it tended to be more comfortable for a perfectly fine person getting flown anywhere.
A quick five-step jog and a hop off the edge later and they were in the air then falling straight down. Kathira directed herself so her legs stayed pointing downwards and kicked her jets into action about two metres from the ground. The downward force was enough to slow her down to a manageable speed, allowing a safe landing on the tarmac of the sidewalk.
Kathira carefully deposited Booker back on his feet. 'Well, here we are, on the ground.'
OOC: In some games, you can completely remove fall damage by doing a mid-air jump right before hitting the ground.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
Dragging the child and the shadow ninja, I ran back to the lake. However, upon arrival, I saw the shark gone and someone standing on the shore. It was a boy, looking roughly 14 or 15 years of age. He had no armour or weapon visible, and standing next to him was the most perplexing creature I had ever seen.

"Buh-bluh. How did you kill that thing!"

I tried to comprehend what had just happened, but I couldn't understand it.

"Sorry for pulling you guys here, you can go back to your business. I'll be heading home." And with that, I walked back to my house, went back to the computer, and checked if any officials of the government were entering the city soon.
Moderator Hawkman32

Humans!

There was a human, but only for a mere fraction of a minute. He walked up to Remna just as he was about to make his exit, made some incoherent noises, and then ran off. The man sped off, leaving Remna and two others hanging in the dust.

Out of context, Remna guessed that the foreign tongue was some dialect of the English language. He could not, however, understand spoken language at its core. He could read in many different languages, but not having a guaranteed method of match syllables to sounds, or anyone to speak to, speech had been both an impossible and pointless skill for him to learn. Though... it now dawned upon him that it would be useful for interacting with other humans.

For now, he would have to find a way to communicate through written messages. He wondered if he would ever be able to pick up speech fast enough to understand the hyper-aggressive fellow who appeared before him. Perhaps he could try conversing with the shark? Perhaps it knew English as well? He would have to ask the other humans?

Using a small branch, he inscribed some words onto the dirt below him:

Do the ears of a shark comprehend the English language, and does the mouth of a shark produce the English language?

Perfect syntax! He was certain they would understand!
~ Taav
[Image: GziDAAU.png]

How, just how could he do it...

I was trying to figure out how he did it. That shark was at least 8 times the teenager's size. I had to figure this out.

So, out of jealousy and stubbornness, I ran back to the lake. I was about to run straight up to him, when I noticed something in the sand. It was asking if a shark could understand and produce the English-language.

I wrote in the sand

"I'm not sure if it can understand the English language, or any human language for that matter, but it cannot speak it. I take it you can read and write English but cannot speak it?"
Moderator Hawkman32

The other guy was back. Odd... how could he move so fast? Remna wanted to calculate his maximum velocity, but refrained out of "Politeness". According to sources, humans were supposed to exchange names before inquiring about personal information, such as one's average acceleration or mass relative to his or her home planet.

Remna was never given a name - he named himself. He wondered if "Remna" was a funny name. It never appeared in any of his books, implying that it wasn't a name that any ordinary human would have. But Remna liked this - he had a name all to himself.

The strange man had written something in the dirt in response to Remna's inquiry.

I'm not sure if it can understand the English language, or any human language for that matter, but it cannot speak it. I take it you can read and write English but cannot speak it?

Apparently, sharks were unable to speak English. He figured as much, though this was never explicitly stated in any of his texts. He figured he would release the shark - no point in keeping such a big thing in Gror. Whatever the case, now was as good of a time as any to engage in an introductory sequence.

Thank you for addressing my inquiry. My name is Remna. What is your name, human?

With any luck, the human wouldn't be offended. Remna wasn't sure if his etiquette was correct - books could only get him so far.
~ Taav
[Image: KHz5Qeq.png]

OOC: I'm going to put the writing in bold to differentiate from my thoughts.

Looking down at the dirt, I noticed the person had replied. He must be really silent.

Thank you for addressing my inquiry. My name is Remna. What is your name, human?

Remna? Weird name. Guess he's not human, so what could this kid be? I may as well respond, see if he wants to come back to my home instead of standing out here.

Firstly, I think some people may find it rude to be called human. It'd be more polite to just say "What is your name?" Secondly, my name is Jango. So, how'd you get here and how'd you get rid of that shark.
Moderator Hawkman32

Booker patted his body down. He was still alive. That was good. The rain still pounded onto his body, and he could feel each droplet as it hit his skin forcefully. He was still stoking Lustre! He quickly extinguished it, and the lights from the tall poles lining the street seemed to extinguish, too, for the most part.

"Thanks," he said quietly, standing a little straighter as he continued absorbing Shade. He stoked it slightly, and the pain of life itself seemed to lift a little. Carnage fluttered briefly into Booker's mind— perhaps, the beast's loyalty was so strong that he could touch Booker's mind, however lightly, from another world. It seemed unlikely.

Booker hadn't been gone long. Carnage could wait.

"What... what are you doing here, anyway? Do you need any... help?"
OOC: You know how you can plan a character out to the most minuscule detail and he/she will still pull some surprises on you once you actually start writing the character? Yeah, I've had a few of those with Shado. One of them is that Shado apparently swears a lot, in front of children and your mother. Or maybe I just swear a lot? I dunno. Anyway, if anyone is at all uncomfortable with this, or if this goes against forum policy, let me know. I'll clean her/me up immediately.

The tall, dark kid left as suddenly as he arrived, leaving Shado and the weird kid alone on the street once more. Shado, for her part, was more than a little perplexed. First she couldn't find anyone at all outside their homes - Not a single person! A city this size should have had some kind of activity at night. Curfew, perhaps? But then, why? - and then this kid just strolled out of frickin' nowhere like he owned the place, and now another kid dropped out of the sky - literally - and then ran off almost immediately. It all made Shado wonder:

What the effing shittlesticks was up with this city?

So, was it a rule that only eccentric and possibly mentally disturbed children were allowed out at night? What kind of reality was this?

Shado decided that she couldn't wait until this kid got to wherever he was going to find out. She was getting answers now.

She Stepped from the shadows to the kid's side. "Yo, weird kid, who was that weird kid? Also, do you have a name or what? Also, what the frickin' f**k is this place?" She should really refrain from swearing in front of people not over thirteen.

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, Caspar David Friedrich. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...of_fog.jpg

OOC: Not sure what this RP's rating is, but I'd censor the swearing until Dazel says otherwise. Forum policy is keep it clean.
Kathira smiled up to the sky 'All I'm doing here,' she said, 'is the same thing I've done for quite a while. Exploring new universes, and worlds in those universes. Meeting new people. Doing new things. I've always thought that the point of life is to learn, and that means finding something new. Where better than the greater multiverse, where the very laws of reality can be wildly different depending on which universe you're in?' A fleeting expression of melancholy passed across her face, but was gone as quickly as it had appeared. 'That, and I can't exactly go back to my home universe. Not with all this lot.' She rapped her metal arm, making a soft clunking noise.
She then fixed Booker with a soft smile. 'Besides, my sacred duty is to, basically, help people. Though I'll take it wherever it's offered and be grateful for it, I personally don't need help. But you might. If you're willing to work with me on a few things. If you have a home to go to, I won't stop you. It's up to you, but if you're offering...?'
The angel turned to the darkness of the street, beginning to more talk to herself. 'City as grim as this, there's always someone who needs a..light, a beacon, in their lives. And I would like to find out why there's a curfew, of all things. At this time, any self-respecting city would have crowds of people all around having fun however they could. I've never been fond of seemingly or certainly arbitrary restrictions. Has to be a reason, is that reason justified...?'
Kathira groaned and facepalmed. 'I'm rambling again, aren't I. Sorry, I often think aloud.'
OOC: Swearing and slang words can have a comic effect if used in the right places. Especially new or uncommon words can be fun. "effing shittlesticks" did actually give me a laugh. I personally don't have anything against swearing. I guess it's okay as long as it's not exaggerated, but I don't know what the others think.

Ozihcs could barely wink an eye before the other boy ran off again. He guessed he did not need his help after all. No, why would he? he had been looking for a fighter, not a stranger from another world. So, Ozihcs turned toward the masked warrior again, who had insisted on heading the same way as he. The warrior appeared upset, though not angry, at least not at him, and was asking for their names. Ozihcs had no idea what the other boy's name was. Perhaps he had mentioned it, but in all this confusion, Ozihcs must have totally forgotten.

Ozihcs did not wish to reveal his real name, so he introduced himself as Ozihcs and no more. That was the nickname his friend Mental-Casey had given him, probably because he thought him crazy.
OOC: Swearing is okay; excessive swearing is probably not. I swear quite a bit myself, but as Kathira pointed out, forum policy is to tone it down a bit, so if you must curse, keep it civil. Effing shittlesticks was great, though.
"The things that you do... well, it tells me a lot about people that they need to be done." Booker cleared his throat. What was he saying? "I... I'm not used to people, you see. I don't know how they work, but... uh, if you need to clean up after them, they must leave behind a mess, right?"

Booker shook his head. He was hardly qualified to think about things like this— this angel was the first person he'd ever spoken to, after all. Perhaps she knew more about people. She did, after all, claim to pass her time examining different worlds. Doubtless she knew something. That was a question for another time, though, as much as he burned to learn from her. Another time.

"I don't have a home to go to, really," he said after staring at the pounding rain for awhile. It was pretty, nothing like the storms back home. Water falling from the sky seemed so foreign, but then why wouldn't it? Back home, there was hardly any water left at all. If the planet hadn't been eaten by the sun already, it would be damn near.

"I have a brother, though," he added. "A big, red, furry brother..." Booker didn't look at the angel, but he was sure she was giving him an odd look. He was nearly giving himself an odd look. "I can go get him, and then I'd be willing to, uh, work with you, if that's all right. Could you come with me to get him? If the past is reliable, he'll be in some trouble when I go back to get him."

Booker shook his head. He was driving the angel away, no doubt. "Talk about rambling... By the way, what's your name?"
OOC: I'll definitely keep it reasonable, and besides, most of the time Shado will just be making up words like "shittlesticks." This is meant to be implicit characterization of Shado's eccentricity and randomness, not crudeness.

"Ozihcs, huh?" said Shado. "Yeah, that just about fits." She waited a couple of seconds, but the weird little kid seemed to be satisfied with his current level of non-interaction.

"Uh... well... I'm Shado," she said at last, "if you care..." He definitely didn't.

This Ozihcs also hadn't answered her final, and most important, question. He seemed to be one to use as few words as possible to say as little as possible. Like who Shado really should be herself. Meh, she didn't feel like it right then. But perhaps she could siphon a bit of info from this kid.

"So, where you heading, Ozihcs?"

Shado . . . that suited her too, though Ozihcs did not comment it. He had been about to ask her where they were, but that would be stupid, since she had just said she had no idea. He would try to answer her next question instead, though he was not sure he had a clear answer to it. He did have one answer, a very simple one, very straight-forward, but which might not enlighten her much. After all, it did not help himself much either. Having no idea where he was, it was the only good thing he could say at the moment.

"Home."

Home was enough. Home world would only add more confusion. He did not exactly try to find his way back where he escaped from, but getting out of this gloomy place would be a nice start. Once he got back to his world, he could continue his escape in a more suitable direction.
"Home."

Yeah, he was definitely a man - er, kid - of few words. But he had said just enough to let Shado know that he was trying to get back to his home dimension, just as she was. And it seemed to Shado that he had some idea how, for why else would he be walking with such purpose? Shado was now keenly interested in this peculiar boy, for reasons much deeper than simple curiosity. She kept her voice casual as she addressed him once more.

"Hm. How do you plan on getting there?"