NaNoWriMo
...Okay, admittedly this is a bit late, but better late than never! Sometimes...

So, is anyone doing NaNoWriMo? If so, how is it coming along? Do you think you'll win? What sort of novel are you writing? What challenges have you faced? What kind of music do you listen to when you write? [INSERT OTHER QUESTION HERE]?
? // ?[url=http://weeb.space][/url]
I don't do NaNoWriMo, but I intend to at some point in the future. Instead, I have a question for you. Well, more a request, actually. Why don't you show us what you have so far?
This often catches me out, too, but Xander the Crocoal is female.
Avi by DevArt user DragonA7X, taken from here. Free to use.
'...No matter what you do or what you become: You are nothing less than beautiful.'--SCP-1342
'One voice is small, but the difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity.'--SCP-1281
[Image: 76561198157421562.png]
(11-15-2014, 09:58 PM)KathiraNarae Wrote: Instead, I have a question for you. Well, more a request, actually. Why don't you show us what you have so far?
Mostly for the same reasons most people would decline: it's unfinished, it's very long even at this rate (that little box beneath the text in my signature is inaccurate: I'm at twenty-thousand words at the time of this typing), and because I'm going for quantity here, not quality. The object is to type out fifty-thousand words, no matter what they may be. I'll go back and make it better after I'm finished, but at the moment, what I have is by no means the reflection of my best work, and it seems wrong for me to display it publicly at this point. If you'd like, however, the prologue (caution: graphic) is somewhat decent.
I would really like to do NaNoWriMo, but unfortunately it falls right in the middle of my final exams. I'm thinking about doing a 'late' NaNo next month, but I'm unsure as to how well that would turn out. I do have an idea for a novel I could write, though, and I have for a long time.

Dazel, I have a minor quibble with your prologue. When you mention the planet's atmosphere being insubstantial, wouldn't that mean that it's more difficult for the creature to fly, as there's less air to trap under its wings? I don't want to sound mean, the rest of it is very well-written. If you ever finish it, I'd really like to see it.
(11-16-2014, 01:11 AM)Eonrider Wrote: Dazel, I have a minor quibble with your prologue. When you mention the planet's atmosphere being insubstantial, wouldn't that mean that it's more difficult for the creature to fly, as there's less air to trap under its wings?
I can see why you'd think that! Also, it flies at superluminal speeds, which is impossible. But there's actually a mechanic in the story that makes both of those things viable. It's not actually flying (it's mostly flapping its wings for effect and out of habit), but it's bending space, so the space in front of it is smaller and the space behind it is larger. In the prologue, though, that isn't revealed, and it was unnecessary to explain it at that point, so I just say they're flying.
I've had loads of exams in November for so many years in a row, it's a little frustrating, even if for the most part I don't actually have an idea I'd like to take to NaNoWriMo.

Rooting for all those who are going for it, though. And noting that it's best not to win if the alternative is your well-being, so be sure to take care.
I'm doing NaNo this year, as I do every year regardless of circumstance. I had to start ten days late because I was working on other projects earlier in the month, but that's still only ~2,000 words a day to finish on time, which isn't bad at all. I was supposed to be doing something original this year, but it looks like I'm in fanfic-land again, haha oops.

Quote:Why don't you show us what you have so far?

I write longhand. I could scan a page or two in for you if you're really curious, but you'd only be able to read it if you could decipher my handwriting.

Somehow your prologue reminds me a bit of Homestuck, Dazel. Probably because that's my closest reference for space battles and weird-colored blood.
[Image: salvage_sworn_metalhead.png]
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
(11-17-2014, 02:42 AM)Negrek Wrote: Somehow your prologue reminds me a bit of Homestuck, Dazel. Probably because that's my closest reference for space battles and weird-colored blood.
:O I can see where you're coming from. I tried to make it as little like Homestuck as possible, because I knew that if I wrote a science-fiction, my default would be to make it a lot like the most recent science-fiction I read (in this case, Homestuck). I guess I didn't make the connection with the blood since their blood is green for a reason, instead of just slapping coloured blood on aliens and calling it a day.

How do you count your words writing longhand?
(11-17-2014, 10:01 AM)Dazel Wrote:
(11-17-2014, 02:42 AM)Negrek Wrote: Somehow your prologue reminds me a bit of Homestuck, Dazel. Probably because that's my closest reference for space battles and weird-colored blood.
:O I can see where you're coming from. I tried to make it as little like Homestuck as possible, because I knew that if I wrote a science-fiction, my default would be to make it a lot like the most recent science-fiction I read (in this case, Homestuck). I guess I didn't make the connection with the blood since their blood is green for a reason, instead of just slapping coloured blood on aliens and calling it a day.

Silly Dazel, none of the Adaisical Technocracy have wings! This isn't your science fiction!

(that was a joke, and i doubt anyone will get it except dazel)
(11-17-2014, 12:25 PM)MrKyurem Wrote: Silly Dazel, none of the Adaisical Technocracy have wings! This isn't your science fiction!
I wouldn't be so sure.
(11-17-2014, 02:17 PM)Dazel Wrote:
(11-17-2014, 12:25 PM)MrKyurem Wrote: Silly Dazel, none of the Adaisical Technocracy have wings! This isn't your science fiction!
I wouldn't be so sure.

I created that and I can confirm those wings do not function.

I also certainly hope that a male doesn't contain thousands of eggs in him.
(11-17-2014, 04:42 PM)MrKyurem Wrote: I created that and I can confirm those wings do not function.
Quit bragging.

Also, I eventually gave in and posted my novel insofar online, since other people were asking too. So, without further ado, here you go.
Quote:How do you count your words writing longhand?

I know that one page in my notebook holds about 500 words, and then I count pages.

Quote:Also, I eventually gave in and posted my novel insofar online, since other people were asking too. So, without further ado, here you go.

Are you... posting that without editing? :o
In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

(11-17-2014, 10:21 PM)Negrek Wrote: Are you... posting that without editing? :o
Yes, I don't have many alternatives quite yet. I'm just getting it in one place, for now. If I went back and edited it already, I wouldn't be writing new content! Which is super counter-productive.
It's part of the point to edit later if at all.

Also, I remember actually having to count my words whilst writing longhand for some writing exams back when I still actually needed English classes. It was hell. And relatedly, I wonder how writing a compressed NaNo's worth of words on paper doesn't end with disintegrated arm muscles, although presumably letting the handwriting quality suffer helps.
Quote: Yes, I don't have many alternatives quite yet. I'm just getting it in one place, for now. If I went back and edited it already, I wouldn't be writing new content! Which is super counter-productive.

I'm just surprised that it's looking relatively clean despite that. I make loads of typos when I'm NaNoing, and I'm writing longhand!

Quote:Also, I remember actually having to count my words whilst writing longhand for some writing exams back when I still actually needed English classes. It was hell. And relatedly, I wonder how writing a compressed NaNo's worth of words on paper doesn't end with disintegrated arm muscles, although presumably letting the handwriting quality suffer helps.

lol I can't believe they actually made you do that. A specific word count was really that important?

Disintegrated arm muscles? More like enviably buff. All that exercise, you know. *writerly flex*

Quote:lol I can't believe they actually made you do that. A specific word count was really that important?

Disintegrated arm muscles? More like enviably buff. All that exercise, you know. *writerly flex*
Well, you had to remain between a certain minimum and a certain maximum of words, the gap wasn't very wide, and you had to keep track of it somehow. It didn't help either that my handwriting (probably even worse than yours) tends not to produce a consistent amount of words per line.

You should get a sweaty sleeveless shirt that reads "Do you even write?".
(11-18-2014, 03:53 AM)Negrek Wrote: I'm just surprised that it's looking relatively clean despite that. I make loads of typos when I'm NaNoing, and I'm writing longhand!
Well, I tend not to make many typos in general. If I do make typos, they're usually "there" vs. "their," or "heard" vs. "herd." I'm weird and make homonymal typos.
(11-18-2014, 03:53 AM)Negrek Wrote: Disintegrated arm muscles? More like enviably buff. All that exercise, you know. *writerly flex*
Relevant.
Well, it looks like I'm... almost exactly 10,000 words behind Dazel at this point. Last week was pretty crazy, but overall I haven't had a ton of trouble getting the words in. I did have to skip one scene that I thought was pretty blah, but the past two I've been working on have been great (surprise body horror, surprise thematic resonance, what could be better). Somewhat dismayed that I'm probably only going to get ~4 chapters out of 50,000 words. Rather than start on that extra 1,000 words I'm hoping to nab before bed, I figured I'd do a little more posting.

I see you've been jumping around in your continuity, Dazel. How many intermissions do you have planned, there?

Quote: Well, you had to remain between a certain minimum and a certain maximum of words, the gap wasn't very wide, and you had to keep track of it somehow. It didn't help either that my handwriting (probably even worse than yours) tends not to produce a consistent amount of words per line.

That's crazy, though. Was there then someone on the other end of the equation, once you turned it in, who would have go to through and re-count your words so they'd know whether or not to disqualify you? Or did they just take your word for it?

Quote:You should get a sweaty sleeveless shirt that reads "Do you even write?".

I would, but it's definitely not the weather for sleeveless shirts over here. I was all excited to go for a walk today but then it turned out it was only 4C outside so I lay around like a lump gorging myself on chocolate instead.

Quote: Well, I tend not to make many typos in general. If I do make typos, they're usually "there" vs. "their," or "heard" vs. "herd." I'm weird and make homonymal typos.

Well I commend you for that, since I somehow manage to make typos even when I'm writing longhand.

(11-23-2014, 04:25 AM)Negrek Wrote: I see you've been jumping around in your continuity, Dazel. How many intermissions do you have planned, there?
Well, I finished up the main plot, so unless something else pops up, probably just the two I have. They're intermissions in that they're in a style similar to the prologue, and they don't follow the main characters. They're kind of necessary because they reveal information that the main characters don't figure out on their own, so it enlightens the readers without enlightening the protagonists. The first intermission is out of the continuity, but the second one is actually around the same time frame? I mean, there's time-travelling involved, so the continuity is pretty much messed up anyway.

(11-23-2014, 04:25 AM)Negrek Wrote: That's crazy, though. Was there then someone on the other end of the equation, once you turned it in, who would have go to through and re-count your words so they'd know whether or not to disqualify you? Or did they just take your word for it?
Apparently it's relatively common, and frankly, it doesn't look like there's any easier way to do it. Although, I think Adobe Acrobat can convert handwriting into type, as long as it's not too atrocious.

(11-23-2014, 04:25 AM)Negrek Wrote: I was all excited to go for a walk today but then it turned out it was only 4C outside so I lay around like a lump gorging myself on chocolate instead.
That's such a better use of your time, though.

(11-23-2014, 04:25 AM)Negrek Wrote: Well I commend you for that, since I somehow manage to make typos even when I'm writing longhand.
It's almost worse, really. Conventional typos in longhand are sort of... unusual, I suppose, but I do the same thing, except mine are The Weird Dazel Version™. The only difference is that mine are a lot harder to pick out because they're actually words.